Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3400 mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 AM
gtp
Default 3400 mods

this is off the 3400 grand am from the pfyc.com website

your 3100, 3400, and other 4 cylinder engines can now compete with us m90 guys:
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA3017/GAUNDE...%2C+Alero.html

since the 3100 and 3400 use the same exhaust manifolds and headers, you can get headers here:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Pace+Setter/766/70-1207/10002/-1

i always recommend people i know to build ther owm intakes as most kits are expensive and just worthless, for 1/4 the amount of money as a kit you can make a full cold air intake and have it look just as good as the kits.

i dont know how the rockers are on those engines but i would not be surprised to see that you can bolt ls1 or ls2 rockers on a 3100 or 3400. i know you can do it to a 3800 no problem, but i dont have a 3100 to play with.

there might be a camshaft that is for the engines but i would tell people to stick to rockers.

there should be a built in intercooler in the kit noted above. but if not there easy to make with a bit of cash and time. just buy phenolic and match it to a gasket. buy a core from zzp and make it fit.

buy a scan guage like an aeroforce to SCAN CONSTANTLY FOR KNOCK!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 AM

your 3100, 3400, and other 4 cylinder engines can now compete with us m90 guys:
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA3017/GAUNDE...%2C+Alero.html
Holy jeez- $500 extra for pcm programming? You can buy HPTuners for that price!

there might be a camshaft that is for the engines but i would tell people to stick to rockers.
There are cams for these engines, but why would you recommend rockers? Much more power to be made with a cam, especially boosted.

there should be a built in intercooler in the kit noted above. but if not there easy to make with a bit of cash and time. just buy phenolic and match it to a gasket. buy a core from zzp and make it fit.
It doesn't say so. Also, you can't really buy a core from zzp, because that's for an M90- and the kit above is a CSC- so the UIM of the 60* V6's has individual runners on the exit side (instead of a single square like the M90 3800's)- so you can't really easily do that.

Its no big deal though, because with the remote power adder, you can easily do a front mount air to air intercooler.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 PM
gtp

as i dont have a 3400, i dont keep in mind that there is individual ports on those engines, but i dont think it would matter because if you raise the uim 2 inches and had a custom made intercooler that had a 1 inch core inside and a half inch on the top and bottom, i think it would not matter about what kind of intercooler you have. no matter what, the air is still gonna go through a port. at some point the air will have to pass through the intercooler, if you sat down and spent the time to make one, it can be done.

yes cams make a hell of a lot better power, but why spend a boat load of money on one with all the supporting mods, when you can bolt on some rockers and still have a little fun. most people that get into modding probably dont need to cam, some its there only car and others dont know what there doing.

where do you get a cam for these engines?

yes the pcm programing is horribly expensive, i would just find a local tuner.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 PM

but i dont think it would matter because if you raise the uim 2 inches and had a custom made intercooler that had a 1 inch core inside and a half inch on the top and bottom, i think it would not matter about what kind of intercooler you have. no matter what, the air is still gonna go through a port. at some point the air will have to pass through the intercooler, if you sat down and spent the time to make one, it can be done.
I'll post a pic so you can see what I'm talking about- this is the underside of the upper intake manifold:

As you can see- air flows from the UIM to the LIM through six tiny ~1.5" ports- using a square heater core like on a M90 just isn't going to work. Sure you could fab up some way to make it work- but if you didn't make a custom, open upper intake- or if you didn't have some kind of open plenum for the upper intake to dump into before the IC core- then the only part of the core you'd use are the six little holes.

Obviously this would be VERY expensive to make work- and really is a waste- half of the benefit of having a turbo or CSC is the fact that you can just hook up a regular frount mount intercooler- not have to worry about a separate cooling system, or a pump to fail, etc- the only people who really use manifold mounted heat exchangers like the L67 people are others with positive displacement blowers mounted directly to the engine.

where do you get a cam for these engines?
http://wot-tech.com/shop/la1-3400-pe...ds/cat_69.html

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-26-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What bumpin said is right. Having a CSC myself on an L36, the benefit is that I can run a normal intercooler if I choose to get one.

The 3400 engines do have potential. If you ever get the chance to look one over, do it. They're heads flow air quite nicely and they are kind of a neat engine.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
gtp

ahh

if i had the money i would not mind attempting a project like that

question:
isnt the entire system under pressure when charged,
meaning that the air going through those channels going to pass through anyways?

whats the average price of a 3400 engine?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Is there a CSC kit for the 3400 monte carlo?? LOL Is this what this thread is about?? Sorry if it is.
Im just asking because the idea of these is very interetign to me. After i saw "zipper" have one on his 3800 i really got into the idea of it.
I dont see anything about it being for a monte, just everything else with the 3400.
And i didnt see you guys talking anything about what mods you need to do when installing this, what do you need to do?? I mean what mods do you need so you dont blow your engine out of the engine bay?? Thanks all

Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 PM

isnt the entire system under pressure when charged,
meaning that the air going through those channels going to pass through anyways?
Umm, yes- the entire intake system AFTER the supercharger- so the intake tubing, front mount air-air intercooler (if you have one), throttle body, upper intake, lower intake, heads; is all pressurized.

So yes, the air in those channels is pressurized. What I'm getting at is those 6 tiny holes from the UIM to LIM aren't going to flow across very much of your core if you do a W-A between the intake manifolds- you'll get six tiny hot spots, instead of it all being spread across a big square like an L67.

Not to mention, I'm sure the intake runners still being in tube form in the UIM are tuned length runners- I wouldn't want to go breaking that up (you'd effectively cut a big chunk of the runners off)- or add length to it, because you'd change the rpm tuning of the intake manifold, and alter the engine's operating characteristics.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
gtp

i see what you are saying. what is the size on the perimeter of that uim?

i have the l67, as probably noted, so i am just thinking that there is not too much different that could need to be done to intercool a 3400.

and white02monte
the kit fits on 3100 and 3400 vehicles, pfyc just noted a certain few. intake and exhaust will need to be done for sure.
headers, downpipe, exhaust, tune, cold air intake, colder plugs, 180 or below tstat, cam, rockers, those same kind of mods will need to be used if good gains are to be made. the kit can be run with stock stuff but only with low boost. if you want more get more mods. just make sure you buy an aeroforce scan guage. make sure your ableto check for knock, timing, fuel, and other things. if you want to run higher shift points get better springs.
tuning
i dont think the powertuner will work but hp tuners, triflecta, and maybe others will get the job done. i dont know for sure.

the number one thing to do on any vehicle before any other mod is placed on the vehicle, is SCAM SCAN SCAN FOR KNOCK. FOR IT WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 PM

I once asked pfyc if the 3400 supercharger would fit the monte carlo, the answer I got was no. Why wont this fit the 3400 montes but will the grand-ams and other 3400's?

Quick Reply: 3400 mods