General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3.9L Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 3.9L Engine

I'm sure this subject has been talked about, but I get zero hits with the search engine on here.

I have a lead on a 2006 Monte Carlo LTZ with the 3.9L engine. I've never owned a 3.9. This does not have AFM. My three current Monte Carlo SS's all have the old 3.8L which I'm spoiled rotten with because they are bullet proof.
I've read some online stuff about this 3.9L having some issues with variable valve timing and leaky gaskets, but no idea what gaskets.

Before I buy this thing, can everyone give thoughts and experiences on the 3.9L V6. Should I run from it ??

Old 06-29-2023, 05:30 PM

TBH, it doesn't get talked about much here (or frankly any other GM forums I'm on). I get the feeling that production numbers on 3.9s were very low compared to the mainstay GM v6s. They certainly had a (comparably) very short run as the high feature DOHC 3.6s and ecotec I4s quickly gobbled up their market space not long after release

I feel like they also got a bad reputation out of the gate from the magazines in terms of fuel economy. GM certainly didn't help things there by pairing them with a (very outdated by the late 2000s) 4 speed. I think that was a big driver towards trying to cram AFM into it also so soon after release (to try to drive mpg up - of course while adding even more cost to what was supposed to be the "high value" engine series).

I had a family member that owned one from new (in an Impala) to about 75k with no issues at all. I do remember researching it at the time and saw head gasket complaints on the G6 forums, but IMO it didn't seem like a huge number of people that actually had it happen to them. Just seemed to be a lot of people parroting the story about a few that did have issues. I'm certainly no expert though, I never dealt with them again after my relative traded theirs for another new car.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-29-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member

Thank you for the feedback. All good info and perspective. I'm still gathering info and opinions because the day may come when I end up with an 06/07 model, but as of late last night, the opportunity I had ended up getting sold to someone else. So my search for another Monte to replace my current 2001 with 378,000 miles (3.8L) continues. These montes are really the only thing I'm interested in owning, but 75% of them still on the road are looking pretty ratty nowadays. I just don't know if there's enough nice looking, reasonably priced Montes out there to keep me supplied for the next 40 years of my active driving life!

Old 06-30-2023, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Max Mark
These montes are really the only thing I'm interested in owning, but 75% of them still on the road are looking pretty ratty nowadays. I just don't know if there's enough nice looking, reasonably priced Montes out there to keep me supplied for the next 40 years of my active driving life!
I know what you mean. I've been keeping an eye out for a backup daily driver (although I'm leaning more towards an Impala due to having kids) as w body cars were so cheap before covid. Prices seem to be coming back down on the used side, but the stuff for sale seems to be mostly junk.

I suppose thats to be expected to some extent with a discontinued model, the examples left continue to age, wear, and pile on mileage year after year.

I will say the one nice thing about montes (especially the limited edition 6th gens - pace cars, nascar, etc) is if you bump your budget up to 15-20, you open it up to some of these ultra low mile collector cars. Lots of people seemed to hoard them thinking they'd make a killing, but they never sell well at auction, especially the further you get from actual 0 miles.

I saw a 6th gen on the local Craigslist a couple weeks ago - $16k for 16k miles. No doubt $16k isn't cheap, but that's practically a brand new car (and frankly probably a safer bet than some if these sub-500 mile cars where all of the seals are suspect for dry rot).

Old 07-01-2023, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I will say the one nice thing about montes (especially the limited edition 6th gens - pace cars, nascar, etc) is if you bump your budget up to 15-20, you open it up to some of these ultra low mile collector cars. Lots of people seemed to hoard them thinking they'd make a killing, but they never sell well at auction, especially the further you get from actual 0 miles.
That's what I'm trying to avoid... spending 15 or 20K on a 20 year old Monte Carlo. And of course, I do have a conscience, meaning I would not be able to spend that amount on a near perfect car, that old, with so few miles - then drive it year round. Just couldn't do it. It would end up getting stored all winter with my 2003 Jeff Gordon series (and) my 2000 Monte pace car, which would put me right back to where I am... still no daily driver for year round. My 2001 needs to be driven to the junk yard soon.

I got so desperate last month, that I walked over to a young woman who was loading groceries in the trunk of her 2004 Monte SS in my local Walmart parking lot... It had a perfect body with all the features I was looking for... color... silver ground affect skirting... yada, yada... asked a few questions... 100,000 miles... Supercharged... originally from Kentucky... extremely clean... I asked if she ever considered selling it... she hadn't really thought about it, so then I threw all dignity to the curb, handed her my business card and quickly advanced to begging mode... explaining that I was serious and really wanted to buy her car. I even tried using a bit of whining and pouty face just to convince, but she just smiled graciously and said if she ever considered it, she'd call. Struck out again! (maybe she thought I was a creep, I don't know, but hey... for a nice Monte, a guy has to try!).

The last three Monte's I've bought, ranged from 4 to 8 hour drives one-way, just to go look at. Then in May I drove nearly 9 hours one way to look at another pace car edition but was disappointed and drove home with nothing.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:26 PM

06 3.9

Well mine is at 170,000 miles. Got it with 16K miles. Daily driven. Really never had any issues with it at all.

Only issue with these engine are oil leaks. It'll leak oil from everywhere if neglected. Oil pan leak is a pain to do but not overly difficult. Regulars gasket maintenance is a must and it'll run forever I think.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here is a very decent Monte in Utah someone has up for sale. Been on the market for a month, bet you can haggle it down 1k, perhaps more, cash talks Look at the pictures, 3 of them are typed pages of nice modifications.

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/8658184

Old 08-16-2023, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by kingreyna
06 3.9

Only issue with these engine are oil leaks. It'll leak oil from everywhere if neglected. Oil pan leak is a pain to do but not overly difficult. Regulars gasket maintenance is a must and it'll run forever I think.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still looking for another Monte to buy. I assume the oil pan and valve covers are the two biggest locations prone for leaking, but what about head gaskets? Does this engine have a chronic reputation for blowing head gaskets?

Old 08-16-2023, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Here is a very decent Monte in Utah someone has up for sale.
Thanks for the feedback and link. Unfortunately, Utah is just too far from me. I live in the northern tip of Michigan's upper peninsula. The last three Monte Carlos I've bought have all required some travel to bring home. The closest was 4-1/2 hours, the furthest was about 9 hours one way. In May of this year, I traveled more than 9 hrs to look at a car the appeared excellent in photos and writeup, but was very disappointed when I saw and drove it in person. Passed on it and came home empty handed. Weekend with a hotel stay was a wasted trip. It's always a risk. I have monitored numerous websites for used Monte Carlos for the last 8 or 9 months and it seems like the state of Ohio regularly has some nice used Monte's that come up for sale. More than most other regions. I would have bought many of them had they not been an 11-12 hour drive one way. Why ohio, I don't know, but it leads me to conclude that Ohio residents must be classier than the average car owner! Lol.