General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2ResonatorDeleteOrNot2

Old 05-30-2015, 10:52 PM
Default 2ResonatorDeleteOrNot2

hey guys and girls I got a couple questions about doing a resonator delete or not and what are the pros and cons to it I know that getting rid of it makes the car sound a lot more aggressive and loud but is it true that getting rid of the resonator you'll get a sluggish performance out of your car and not have the full potential like stock what are some goods and bads about having the resonator on and off? It's there for a reason to quite the sound but is it worth taking off?

Old 05-31-2015, 08:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have an '04 SS Monte, I got rid of the res because my factory one rotted and the exhaust shop could not keep an aftermarket one working for me (the baffles inside would start making noise). I am HAPPY I got rid of it.

The res is there as a "pre-muffler" basically. It's to change the sound of the exhaust.

When I got rid of mine, I instantly noticed better performance/response from my Monte. As for sound, to me it sounds a touch "tinny" compared to before. It's NOT louder, just a different sound (and one less restriction for performance). I've had a couple people tell me my exhaust sounds decent, never heard any insults or complaints about it.

My rival on this discussion is Chibiblacksheep/Mike. But he has the GMPP cat-back exhaust, so it's different discussion (and he has a res with it and it does sound GOOD).

All depends what your motivation is. Mine was to stop having resonators that fail and just move on. Now, I tell people, replace it with a piece of pipe.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:32 PM

I am also thinking of removing the resonator. I was thinking of replacing with a glass pack resonator for a louder sound. If it is cheaper, I just might try replacing with a strait pipe. Can you post a sound vid of your exaust?

Old 06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have an 06 Monte SS resonator delete No Cons at all

Also running doug thorley headers and Magnaflow cat backs

Old 06-08-2015, 10:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by wkimes
I am also thinking of removing the resonator. I was thinking of replacing with a glass pack resonator for a louder sound. If it is cheaper, I just might try replacing with a strait pipe. Can you post a sound vid of your exaust?
I'll see what I can do possibly tomorrow evening on getting a video.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

i have a fenderwell intake, zzp plog, zzp downpipe and i have deleted the resonator, it gave the car a slightly deeper tone so i like it i know to really bring out the rumble i need mufflers which i will be working on next

Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 AM

With the New England winter salting of roads, ... I've been threw a couple of exhaust mods replacing parts that rusted through.
Last time I visited a muffler shop ... one of the guys working there had a nice SS. He told me to forget about spending dough on a stock resonator and just use a glass pack.
The glass pack is a Cherry Bomb model.
The cars runs great and sounds nice when I get-on it.
There's nothing about it that will rattle with age.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM

I'm looking to do some exhaust work myself-not sure exactly where to start, was thinking a new muffler (magnaflow is a brand I hear good things about?). I certainly don't want to hijack the thread, but was wondering what people's thoughts are? I have the 3400 engine, not the 3800. Mostly I'm just going for something with a little more rumble, but don't want to make it obnoxiously loud, either.

Search this Thread