General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2003 monte carlo ss catalytic converter help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2003 monte carlo ss catalytic converter help!

ok, my cat is giving off codes and i cant pass my inspection until i get it fixed. sadly, i live in a state with the strictest laws as with california and finding a cat that will pass is not easy. can anyone direct me to a site that offers them for new york? ive only been able to find sites that wont ship to new york or cali!

Old 05-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Cool >Good Luck<

Hi Kenny, check the below link & see if any of the posts helps you (?) Good Luck ...Also, check back 2 see what our member's post (?)
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...nverter%20help!
Click

Attached Thumbnails 2003 monte carlo ss catalytic converter help!-image_preview.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi Kenny, check the below link & see if any of the posts helps you (?) Good Luck ...Also, check back 2 see what our member's post (?)
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...nverter%20help!
Click

i checked google and it bought no results. one said they had one for new york and not cali. how can that be because all the rest say they cant send to them. do they have a magical cat?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member

i found one. its gonna cost an arm and a leg!

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter California Legal - SHIPS FREE

Old 05-13-2016, 06:11 PM

Hi `Kenny, that's freaking crazy 4-Sure! I'm glad you found one, but I think I'd consider moving (LOL).

I hope one of our NEW York Member's see's your thread & has a less expensive `CAT

How much time do you have ?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unfortunately the Magnaflow is probably your only choice. I have an '03 SS with CA emissions also, but live in WA. Could have tuned out the CA stuff, but chose not to. Ended up getting a direct fit Davico that meets CA and NY standards from RockAuto. At the time I spoke with one of the Rock Auto reps. and they explained; it's all about the testing and paperwork hoops the manufacturer has to jump through to satisfy CA and NY governments. Apparently, Magnaflow is the only mfr. willing to spend the time and money to jump through those hoops and in effect have a monopoly, and pass on those expenses to the consumer. Perhaps a sneaky way around this would be to have one shipped to someone you know out of state, then have them ship it to you.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-13-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

I Live in NY, NY is no where near as strict as California. That being said, go to rockauto.com and fill in the info for your car. The cats that come up say not legal for sale in California or in NY on a car with CA restrictions. So unless your car is from CA, any of those cats should be sufficient. Heck my cat is gutted and i just had the codes tuned out.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Removing the California emissions air pump does not look like a big task (replace the rear manifold or plug the manifold where the pump hooks to it and tune out the air pump info).
Unless your location requests proof of the parts used for servicing the car, you should be able to get a replacement cat and worse case may need to have the p0420 code deleted from the PCM.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:05 AM

\

Good Luck Kenny, I hope things work out 4-U & your Monte

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-14-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member

my mechanic used to look the other way on some things (when i had an 87, he gutted the cat) he just kept saying he didnt want to face the fine. i told him i would drive the car into the ground (as i did with all my montes!) but he just didnt want to take the risk. *sigh*

ok....on to my next problem!