General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2003 Jeff Gordon Monte with 6k Miles on BaT

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 08:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2003 Jeff Gordon Monte with 6k Miles on BaT

Thanks to @MAMONTE sharing this with me the other day, I am aware that BringATrailer has a pretty share 2003 Jeff Gordon Monte.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...onte-carlo-16/

I spotted a few faults for a car that bears only 6k miles that struck me as odd, but over all, seriously, very sharp. I noticed this car has had the valve cover recall completed.

Now I have seen a few 2002 Dale Sr cars sell on this site. How about people take a guess at what they think the auction will close at? I'll start, I am going to ball park it at $15k. I know the Dale Sr cars have gone for more than that, BUT those are Dale Sr cars. I don't follow Nascar, but I am going to assume Dale had a bigger fan base than Jeff Gordon, so the name alone draws more attention. But, I admit, I could be wrong, as how many Gordon Montes are around like this? But I will stand by my $15k guess (it's just for fun). What does everyone else think?

Old 09-26-2022, 09:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey it's the car we were texting about

My vote is 17k

Old 09-26-2022, 10:56 AM

I always feel bad for the original owners on these things. Spend all that money, all those years carefully storing it in the hopes it turns out to be a big investment, and then it ends up struggling to bring back 50% (and is even worse when you figure that $30k in 2003 dollars is close to $50k today in terms of buying power from inflation).

It is a very sharp car though. I'm not into NASCAR at all, but for mid teens, this would be an awesome daily driver (especially since its actually been driven a little and isn't virtually 0 as some of the collectors have). Used car prices are so crazy now that you'd have a hard time finding anything this clean for $15k, much less with that low of mileage (ignoring the bargain basement new cars - a Spark, etc.).

My guess is $20k due to how nuts the used car market is right now.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
ignoring the bargain basement new cars - a Spark
Hey now, let's not speak ill of my little blue car

Old 09-26-2022, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Hey now, let's not speak ill of my little blue car
No offense intended of course just happens to be the cheapest new car out there today.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:23 PM

10 Year Member

This is going to be a curious watch. And BaT auctions are different from eBay. If someone tries to snipe the auction, it will extend the time. This can create a true bidding war.

I have said things like what Bumpin' mentioned before. To be a proper car collector, you have to buy the car, then have somewhere to store it, ideally climate controlled. There is still some maintenance to be concerned with and such. Over the years, really a lot of money involved in a car to be an "investment". And then to sell it and probably not even break even on the original purchase cost?
I have a friend who has bought, drove and sold a few cars. Only one of those was over 25 years old, the rest were post 2000. But he did good and actually enjoyed them all and either broke even on his cost of ownership (which in my book is awesome, aside from gas you drove it for free and enjoyed it) or made some money. He's not a collector, just a guy that scores some good deals here and there. That is the best position to be in, at least I think so.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Im guessing with the economy tanking like it is under the strict guidance of our extremely competent people in high places, people will pull back from frivilous purchases. A Monte Carlo is not one that even makes bidders sit up in their chair. So I will roll the dice and lock in on $12,750.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:09 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Im guessing with the economy tanking like it is under the strict guidance of our extremely competent people in high places, people will pull back from frivilous purchases. A Monte Carlo is not one that even makes bidders sit up in their chair. So I will roll the dice and lock in on $12,750.
Well, someone must have been afraid of your bid lol. Someone threw in a hefty bid to bring it up to $13,500 with 2 days left to go.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Well, someone must have been afraid of your bid lol. Someone threw in a hefty bid to bring it up to $13,500 with 2 days left to go.

Yikes! So I guess no one here wants my free advice on stock investments... Well next stop is your number amigo.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
And BaT auctions are different from eBay. If someone tries to snipe the auction, it will extend the time.
That is 100% of the reason I stopped using ebay (a very long time ago now). It seemed like anything of real value/ interest I was bidding on was losing for that. It also got so much worse when the bot programs took over for doing it too as you could literally be winning until the final second.

Oh and BTW, the auction is up to 14 now. It's definitely picking up steam.

Quick Reply: 2003 Jeff Gordon Monte with 6k Miles on BaT