General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2002 Monte SS Dale Earnhardt LE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 PM
1 Year Member

more pictures!

Chevrolet released several models inspired by then-current NASCAR drivers: The first model released was the 2002 Dale Earnhardt "Intimidator Edition." This car had two color schemes; a black body with galaxy silver rocker panels and front and rear air dams, and an all black body with black ground effects. A thin red stripe above the silver ground effects was also included. Just behind the rear side windows, the Dale Number 3 logo was placed. The car also featured silver "Intimidator" SS badges on the right side of the trunk and standard Monte Carlo SS badges the bottom of the vehicle, just in front of the rear tires. An Intimidator badge with the number 3 also appeared on the dash, and Earnhardt's signature appeared on the gauge cluster. The interior is all black ("charcoal") leather. This edition also came with 5 spoke, diamond cut wheels and received GMs L36 3800 V6 engine.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 PM
1 Year Member

Engine compartment pics, as you can see intake in shreds and fuel line broken and burned

Old 05-18-2018, 10:08 PM
1 Year Member

Here are the problems I have with engine

here is where the fuel line enters fuel rail, the line and connector shown are burned, please forgive my ignorance of nomenclature:-(
My best initial fix?

Here is a pic of my shattered intake, is there a metallic one ( aluminum or steel ) to replace this?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 PM
1 Year Member

Where ya all think I go from here?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Skatulaki
more pictures!

Chevrolet released several models inspired by then-current NASCAR drivers: The first model released was the 2002 Dale Earnhardt "Intimidator Edition." This car had two color schemes; a black body with galaxy silver rocker panels and front and rear air dams, and an all black body with black ground effects. A thin red stripe above the silver ground effects was also included. Just behind the rear side windows, the Dale Nume trunk and standard Monte Carlo SS badges the bottom of the vehicle, just in front of the rear tires. An Intimidator badge with the number 3 also appeared on the dash, and Earnhardt's signature appeared on the gauge cluster. The interior is all black ("charcoal") leather. This edition also came with 5 spoke, diamond cut wheels and received GMs L36 3800 V6 engine.
The Dale Earnhardt script and the #3 on these photo's and the Intimidator on the Rear panel, and the decal on the Pillar are most likely the work of a previous owner that was a dedicated fan.
This Car can be all fixed up and you would have a nice collector car, with all the miles and other issues you have described it would most likely Blue Book for an average price. But you can have some fun with it and fix it up and have a nice ride. Good Luck!! Keep us posted as you restore this project.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 AM

Looks like whoever started the car last had the misfortune of a backfire due to a faulty FPR??? That would explain the burnt line you describe..

Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 AM

Even though it looks that bad from the upper intake that blown off you be happy that repairing the burned wires and fuel line shouldn't be to difficult. As wht02monte stated the Fuel pressure regulator was probably the culprit. The burnt wires and vacuum lines can be found at a local parts yard and are very plentiful as the 3800 was used in so many cars. You can be up and running in a day or two. And don't worry about being a Mark Martin fan I thought he was one of the classiest drivers the racing sport ever had.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:34 PM
1 Year Member

What is this black box and why would it be McGyvered into the wiring here in drivers side of intake, Tow truck driver who delivered car suggested that somebody might have tried to Nitro it?

Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM
1 Year Member

here is pressure regulator on passenger side of intake that has a broken mount that I assume was a cause or result of previous posters suggestion of an FPS failure backfire

Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 PM
1 Year Member

I have been trying to research the products available for repair and rebuilding. Seems Dorman and ATP have intakes they alledge to be better than the original.
I'm inclined to go with AC Delco products. AC Delco shows an aluminum intake for this model, but doesn't look like it will fit.
Any recommends? I'm soon going to order first round of parts. Also the fuel pressure sensor suggested by previous poster, there is more than one pressure sensor, to which do you refer?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2002 Monte SS Dale Earnhardt LE