General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2001 Monte N/A 43k or 2004 DE 135k? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Default 2001 Monte N/A 43k or 2004 DE 135k? Please Help!

Hello all!

I could really use some help. I ha two different Monte's I'm considering buying, and I'm really sitting on the fence between the two. Here's the rundown;

1.) 2001 Monte Carlo SS, Limited Edition Pace Car. L36 Non-supercharged, 200 HP. New tires/ brakes. Two 12" subs with amp, Pioneer System/ deck. Black with white flags, and white skirts. only 43,000 miles and $6,000

OR

2.) 2004 DE edition, L67 Supercharged Monte Carlo. New engine cradle and control arms. New tires. Is in amazing condition for having 135,000 miles. Stock everything. (except rims) It'd be $5,500

I hear about how there's such a considerable difference between the L36 N/A and the L67, but where it's got a lot higher miles than the 2001, I'm not sure which way to go, what do you all think?! Any advice/suggestions are welcome

Thank you!
-Herlsy

Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tough call, be wary of the low miles unless you can really verify them somehow. Another member on here a couiple of weeks back reported how his Monte's speedometer was altered or replaced with a lower mile odometer and never found out till it was in a wreck and the insurance company found out the true miles and gave him less of a payoff for the car, they told him the car really had more miles on it than the odometer showed. But if they are actual thats a good thing, maybe a grandpa car. I'm not a Supercharger person so others on this forum can tell you if those are okay or high miles on the DE monte. Guess it depends on how hard it has been driven and maintained. Anyway to look at the records. Check the tranny fluid, does it smell old and burnt? How do you check the Sipercharger oil? If it is old and crappy maybe the person never maintained the car. Is the motor all dirty any oil leaks. Least you need to do is have another shop look at it before you buy it to kind of scope out the vitals. If it looks like the original ol rusty OEM cat it is probably about plugged and in need of replacement. A shop can do a pressure test and see if it is flowing like it should. Good luck, choose wisely......

Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Tough call, be wary of the low miles unless you can really verify them somehow. Another member on here a couiple of weeks back reported how his Monte's speedometer was altered or replaced with a lower mile odometer and never found out till it was in a wreck and the insurance company found out the true miles and gave him less of a payoff for the car, they told him the car really had more miles on it than the odometer showed. But if they are actual thats a good thing, maybe a grandpa car. I'm not a Supercharger person so others on this forum can tell you if those are okay or high miles on the DE monte. Guess it depends on how hard it has been driven and maintained. Anyway to look at the records. Check the tranny fluid, does it smell old and burnt? How do you check the Sipercharger oil? If it is old and crappy maybe the person never maintained the car. Is the motor all dirty any oil leaks. Least you need to do is have another shop look at it before you buy it to kind of scope out the vitals. If it looks like the original ol rusty OEM cat it is probably about plugged and in need of replacement. A shop can do a pressure test and see if it is flowing like it should. Good luck, choose wisely......
I know for a fact that the 2001 isn't a grandpa car, the seller sounds like a young man, 20's or 30's. I haven't gotten a chance to see it for myself yet, hopefully I am next Saturday. As for the 04, it was driven by a school teacher commuting from work and home, thats about it, the owner passed away in december and now his brother is selling it. I inspected this myself with a fellow auto student at my side and we could't find anything drastic, it was in great condition for 135k. Everything looked clean, virtually no rust, all the fluids were bright and non contaminated.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM

The N/A sounds fishy to me thats a very low price for 43k, honestly though after driving a N/A and a Supercharged 3800 I'd take the Supercharegd any day even if it does have more miles. But over all it depends on the shape of the car. To me somethign sounds wrong if the car has 43k and has subs which is clearly a younger mans car then. So to be selling it so cheap makes me wonder whats wrong with it

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
The N/A sounds fishy to me thats a very low price for 43k, honestly though after driving a N/A and a Supercharged 3800 I'd take the Supercharegd any day even if it does have more miles. But over all it depends on the shape of the car. To me somethign sounds wrong if the car has 43k and has subs which is clearly a younger mans car then. So to be selling it so cheap makes me wonder whats wrong with it
2001 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car

here man, thats his craigslist add. he's selling it because he has to move (apparently)

Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM

Looks nice, but a 15 mile test drive sounds weird also, I guess the best thing to do would be drive and look over both cars and decide which one you like more and put the miles aside really. I mean if the supercharger is what you like more than go with that if its not a big deal to you and miles is more important go with the N/A. All about personal preferance

Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 PM

The leather seats look brand new... and the leather by the airbag in the seat isn't ripped. It looks clean as something would with only 43,000 miles on it. If its all legit I'd get that car....

Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Herlsy
2001 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car

here man, thats his craigslist add. he's selling it because he has to move (apparently)
Missing lower front spoiler/ground effect. Also says hail damage? Miles are probably correct but I'm not sure it's worth it depending on it's condition and why the front peice is missing. If he's moving and can't take the car it would be worth it to make an offer that you think is reasonable for the condition. Wouldn't pay $6000 for it though...

I'd go with the Earnhardt edition unless you can get the Pace Car for about $4000-5000ish (depending on damage, etc).. but its still worth looking at seeing how the interior looks good and its barely broken in at 43k

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 03-08-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Idk I'd totally pay 6k for it even with a few minor problems because cars in that shape or a little better are going for 11k around here or more, very crazy. But if i had the choice between N/A and Supercharged I'd pick the Superchargeer everytime.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
Idk I'd totally pay 6k for it even with a few minor problems because cars in that shape or a little better are going for 11k around here or more, very crazy. But if i had the choice between N/A and Supercharged I'd pick the Superchargeer everytime.
Cars like the Pace car go for 11k??? or the supercharged one?

Quick Reply: 2001 Monte N/A 43k or 2004 DE 135k? Please Help!