General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2001 Monte Carlo SS Projector Headlight HID Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Update:
Re-retrofitted with new lenses since my OEM 2001 housings were really pitted.
I bought a pair of new aftermarket housings for $135 shipped ...
they had horrible build quality, however they did have crystal clear lenses and
they were not perma-sealed to the housing like OEM is. This allowed me to use
a moderate level of heat to remove the lenses without damaging them.
Computer power supply came in handy for a HID ballast power supply after a
bit of computer power supply hot-wiring.

Now that I have fresh new lenses I am thinking that IF I decide to make the same type
of 'eyebrow' I would probably use external headlight covers. Does anyone have pics of
the clear headlight covers that are available for the Monte? Or how they look when they
are attached or how they attach to the headlights?

I did test out having quad projectors in the headlights but that just won't turn out right.
Reason being is that the high beam sits a little higher in the housing than the low beam
lamp does. This difference created a large double step in the output that just looked
terrible at best.

Nice color flicker, the top gets to a really deep purple that the iPhone4 just couldn't pick up.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:16 PM

can you do a write up about how to take apart the headlights? or can someone link me to a write up of how to take apart the headlight for an 2000-05 monte

Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 PM

There is really not much more that I can say...
The rubber seal that is between the clear lens and black housing is a 1 time use part that is chemically bonded between the lens and the assembly. Heating with an oven at 250/300F for about 10 minutes may make it easier to separate the two parts. You will basically be wedging a flat metal tool between the parts and pry it apart slowly enough that you don't destroy the lens cover.
There are YouTube videos out there on how to open "permaseal" headlight assemblies but I don't know of any that are Monte Carlo specific.
Overall if I was to do it again I would keep the blacked out insides that I had the first time and used a larger shroud and also painted it black. As the high beams are integrated into the projector the halogen highs are mostly useless so I'd paint the whole inside black and just have the clear projector lens.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:09 PM

Hi, saw your thread from google and wanted to know do you thing its possible to replace all three lamps with a projector? Instead of just inserting one as you did?

thanks.

Edit, nvm. you actually answered it already. They dont seem to fit right.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Nice work

Old 02-02-2015, 03:01 PM

I got a question about hooking the high beams up. Obviously they are separate from the factory. What if I want to keep factory day time running lights and factory high beams but want projector low beams. Can I just not hook up the solenoid and run the hid bulb like normal through the factory harness so it shuts off when the high beams are on?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:12 PM

Yes you can skip connecting the solenoid.
But it would be unsafe to use the highs at night.
The HID lamps need to be hot to produce proper output. When you toggle them off and on again you may be traveling in the dark for several seconds while at highway speed while the HIDs get heated up again.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
Yes you can skip connecting the solenoid.
But it would be unsafe to use the highs at night.
The HID lamps need to be hot to produce proper output. When you toggle them off and on again you may be traveling in the dark for several seconds while at highway speed while the HIDs get heated up again.
Got ya. Makes sense. So the solenoid would get hooked up to the high beam connector so when they are triggered the solenoid flips? do you get any error messages from not having any high beam bulbs or drl?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 PM

I covered the ambient light sensor for a couple years with black electrical tape to make the car think it was night. This turned off the drl and turned on full headlights all the time. So each time I started during the day I would just pull the headlight switch out one notch to have only parking lamps on.
If you pull the drl relay or try to override it you will get a service light and full headlights will come on and you will have 1 high beam disabled.

My solution was to buy a new BCM for $175 and program it with all of my options and made sure that the drl option was disabled. The Monte Carlo BCM is a single use program only and then if you need to change it you need to replace it. To program it you need a tech 2 (which I have) once the BCM is programmed then you need to do a pass key relearn then you are done. So now you could say my 01 monte is one of few out there that has drl bypassed by the factory. The only effect this had was disabling drl properly and now I have no tape over the light sensor. The BCM reprogramming won't cause a service light either.

And yes when high beams are engaged this flips the solenoid. Texchnically you could run a separate switched wire to those and control it from inside the car as an alternate way to have high beams. But it would be kind of a hack job.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
I covered the ambient light sensor for a couple years with black electrical tape to make the car think it was night. This turned off the drl and turned on full headlights all the time. So each time I started during the day I would just pull the headlight switch out one notch to have only parking lamps on.
If you pull the drl relay or try to override it you will get a service light and full headlights will come on and you will have 1 high beam disabled.

My solution was to buy a new BCM for $175 and program it with all of my options and made sure that the drl option was disabled. The Monte Carlo BCM is a single use program only and then if you need to change it you need to replace it. To program it you need a tech 2 (which I have) once the BCM is programmed then you need to do a pass key relearn then you are done. So now you could say my 01 monte is one of few out there that has drl bypassed by the factory. The only effect this had was disabling drl properly and now I have no tape over the light sensor. The BCM reprogramming won't cause a service light either.

And yes when high beams are engaged this flips the solenoid. Texchnically you could run a separate switched wire to those and control it from inside the car as an alternate way to have high beams. But it would be kind of a hack job.
I see the problem. I have been doing some research and I actually might have found a solution to that problem. Still buy the morimoto mini h1 6.0 and install them. Instead of hids vleds has led headlight kits that would fit in the projector. Still be spending around 300 dollars total for leds and projectors but the leds are rated at 3000lm and are instant on and off therefore not needing to hook up the solenoid and keeping factory high beams. Problem solved. Obviously back when you did yours this technology wasn't there but now its a probable solution