General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

1983 monte carlo cl with T tops

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Or maybe the car was ordered by a Chrysler executive, and decided he wanted the police package? Sometimes it's good to be in charge. Or possibly a promotional car used by auto reviewers to critique the car maybe? Wouldn't put it past any auto company to load up on the heavy duty stuff to get a good review. Then screw everybody else.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 AM

The rubber looks really bad but dont leak.....yet.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
your front end does not look like an 83. it should be more aerodynamic. 83 was the return of the ss. I think someone modified your car but to be sure look up the options
how can you tell an 83 nose from an 82 or an 84? i was under the impression that they were all the same more or less with exception of LS and SS cars.

is it possible that the ops car could be an early built 83? perhaps if you ordered the car early enough in 82 the t-tops were still an option. then it was discontinued. like the gp gxp had alcoa wheels in 05-07 but some of the early 08s got them instead of the gm versions. it could also be a older or a newer body that has had the vin changed. happens all the time.
perhaps they arent factory installed t-tops?

im also surprised this car is rust free living 20mins from queens myself its unbelievable that the floors, doors, or frame arent rotty.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Must have been garage kept.

Whether it's an 82 or an 83 with T-tops. Either way, it's still rare in that it's 30 years old with little to no rust, and still on the road. In original condition. In the sense it hasn't been heavily modified yet.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM

didnt he say theres a stroker motor in the car?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM

83 is when they changed body style. 82s had that front end and 83s were angled looked more aerodynamic. Thats why they used them in nascar. He said he had a 383 stroker. thats a 350 with a 400 crank. Nice motor to have in a nice car. thumbs up no rust and a stroker.

Last edited by Mr Grizzly Mint; 08-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:03 PM

It used to be maroon. I got it with its factory wheels and inside is stock. 350 turbo trans and 12 bolt posi. fun sleeper. im taking the scoop off and the ss rear wing. painting it maroon again and just surprise every one.

383 is just like he said. 350 with a 400 crank and heads. nice cam headers, real dual exhaust, msd. but I left it open headers because im crazy and I pulled next to cops and they dont mind...yet lol

Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 AM

Carl whats the 10th digit on your vin?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
83 is when they changed body style. 82s had that front end and 83s were angled looked more aerodynamic. Thats why they used them in nascar. He said he had a 383 stroker. thats a 350 with a 400 crank. Nice motor to have in a nice car. thumbs up no rust and a stroker.
to my knowledge the body style was the same from 81 to 88 with exception of the ls and ss cars, and the late model cars that got the ls tail lights. the 83 and up dont look anymore aerodynamic than any other 81-82. nascar ran the ss body which has a completely different header panel. the ops car isnt an ss nor is it a ls hence the nose of that car should look more or less the same as a 81-86. the only changes i can imagine that took place on the header panels were probably slight grille changes and minor bumper changes.

im well aware of what a 383 stroker is i should have quoted taz in my post. he was praising the rarity of this car and how it isnt highly modified. my point in saying didnt the op say it has a stroker in it was to point out that it is highly modified. the car has a motor that was never offered by gm, a rear that never came in any g body, a scoop that also never came on the car, a spoiler that doesnt belong on the car, wheels that dont belong there, and a different color than factory. to me those things make it heavily modified. if it was rare which i dont think any gbody is(unless its a 2+2gp,hurst/442 olds,t type/gn,gnx) its no longer worth what it would have been had it been a super rare 83 t top, maroon, 305, 7.5" rear car.

op i like the car sounds pretty cool and im curious what this 12 bolt is out of. with that said i dont think its rare just because the sheer number of gbodies built. i think its extremely possible the vin number was swapped on this car. id do a little more research on it though. try and find the build sheet for it. it could be some executive one off car that wasnt offered to the general public. theres tales of a gm executive ordering a 70 monte with the ls6 when the baddest big block offered at the time in the monte was the ls5. theres no documentation to prove this, and the car hasnt been found but i like to believe that someone high up had a monster monte made that could go toe to toe with the baddest chevelle.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Quick Reply: 1983 monte carlo cl with T tops