General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

1970 Taillight problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Default 1970 Taillight problems

We just took off our taillight housings off to line them up right and we put it back together and for some reason the tail lights and brakes and turn signals dont work. We tested 3 wires that go into the plugs and on and it seems like there is no ground work all of them come up hot. I dont know if there might be a relay that when bad or what but i was wondering if i could get some help. Thanks

Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Default RE: 1970 Taillight problems

Forgot to add that if you turn the hazzard lights on the all lights start flashing like they should but when you turn them off theres not lights at all

Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Default RE: 1970 Taillight problems

ok
first of all there is not a relay on there for this.
Also your hazzards on those cars are thier own circut and have thier own flashiers also.
SO try taking the flasher out of the haz. side and pout ing it in the T-signal side. (if im right they are the same.)

If you still dont get power or lights then pull the houseings back apart and make sure you did not get any wires pinched in there. mine did this to me and drove me nuts for a hour or better till i found it.

Also there is a groudn wire on there that runs from the bulb in to the trunk or under the car and grounds out. If it is not in good shape and you trun or twist it in the wrong way it can break contact then it would have no ground to light them up.

If all of this dont work then you will have to trace the wires and make sure you have poewer to them with a test light Hook it up to the flasher wires , turn on the flasher or the T-signals. on that side see if the light flashes like it should if it was the right bulb.

If this works clean out the sockets on teh bulbs in there.

BUT BEFORE ALL CHECK THE FUSES!!!
Those cars are pretty basic for eletrical and wireing they pretty much go from the fuse panel to the bulb,switch etc... and then back to finish the loop.

Good luck keep us posted on what ya find out.