General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

05 malibu ss???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 PM

they still didnt give you a rent a car???

did you at least get the money???

sounds like a real pain when your involved in an accident thats not your fault.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermain S/C SS
Well the Cobalt SS actually had decent power to back up the SS emblem it carried, a supercharged 2.4 liter putting out 265HP and 0-60 in 5.6 seconds was not bad. And I never knew they mad an SS version of the HHR, if it's no longer around anymore I think we may know why.
the supercharged cobalts were only 205hp then they went turbo. and the HHRSS has the same motor as the latest cobalt. so theyre also pretty quick and shouldnt be taken lightly.
as for power to back up the SS badge what about the 180hp gbody monte SSs?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM

im sure colbolts are quick, cause most new 4 bangers are, but they drop off at higher speeds.

im also sure 205 feels a lot better in a car that ways 1000 pounds less then a monte.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 PM

personally when i upgrade my engine im thinking of the new 3.6 dohc thats on the v6 camaros. i wonder if itll bolt up? 300 plus hp sounds like a nice upgrade still getting the same gas miliage. i tied to look up the price but cant find it anywhere. my monte's at the 2nd stealership in a week right now. when i pick it up tomorrow ill ask some questions.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
as for power to back up the SS badge what about the 180hp gbody monte SSs?
I think that in the time of the 180HP V8's that the top dog Corvette only pushed out about 225HP, it was a bad time for all cars, right after all the smog restrictive equipment was put into cars, making them lose all sorts of power.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by mak330
im sure colbolts are quick, cause most new 4 bangers are, but they drop off at higher speeds.

im also sure 205 feels a lot better in a car that ways 1000 pounds less then a monte.
i think the opposite is true. i think i would want my small boosted motor to spin hard and fast and build power with rpm. the 205hp cobalt was ok it wasnt really mind blowing. i was dating a girl with one and drove it from time to time. not the fastest thing in the world but it could hang. what killed that malibu was its weight. it weighs more than a monte if it was the cobalts weight it would be an animal.

Originally Posted by mak330
personally when i upgrade my engine im thinking of the new 3.6 dohc thats on the v6 camaros. i wonder if itll bolt up? 300 plus hp sounds like a nice upgrade still getting the same gas miliage. i tied to look up the price but cant find it anywhere. my monte's at the 2nd stealership in a week right now. when i pick it up tomorrow ill ask some questions.
idk about it being a direct bolt in. im sure it could be done. to my knowledge thats the same motor as the caddy cts and those are both rwd. so im kinda curious as to what tranny you plan on hooking up to that motor, and not for nothing but you dont think thats a little labor intensive and not cost effective? if you want a 300hp monte with that body why not just sell yours and buy an SS?

I think that in the time of the 180HP V8's that the top dog Corvette only pushed out about 225HP, it was a bad time for all cars, right after all the smog restrictive equipment was put into cars, making them lose all sorts of power.
well they had 10yrs or so to figure it out,and then instead of putting a graphics kit,wheels, and a nose on a car and calling it a super sport dont you think they could have called it a monte carlo custom like they did in 72 when performance was dropping to begin with? the 70 ss could be had with the LS6 same motor as the vette of the time. to me thats a car worthy of super sport. i mean what makes the g-body montes any more deserving of a super sport moniker than that malibu? hell its not like gm didnt have a certain turbo v6 motor that was making more power than the 305 lurking around in a similar g-body. i like the 83+ ss cars as much as the next guy but they werent super in anyway other than appearance.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well the Cobalt SS actually had decent power to back up the SS emblem it carried, a supercharged 2.4 liter putting out 265HP and 0-60 in 5.6 seconds was not bad. And I never knew they mad an SS version of the HHR, if it's no longer around anymore I think we may know why.
The first Cobalt SS's were 2.0L Supercharged at 205 HP, then they switch to a 2.0 Turbocharged that makes 260 HP. Those Cobalts can move!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Those Malibu SS' can run high 14s low 15s in the 1/4. They're actually quite nice and deserve the name SS more than the L36 powered 6th Monte SS' (no offense guys). I think they looked pretty cool too.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 PM

^^^ agreed

Old 05-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
Those Malibu SS' can run high 14s low 15s in the 1/4.
Low 14's really? That almost makes them competition with the L67...s'pose that 6 speed tranny helps a lot too.

Quick Reply: 05 malibu ss???