General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: How long will you keep your Monte Carlo ?
I plan on keeping my Monte Carlo 4-Ever
50.00%
Less then a year
0%
a year to two years
4.17%
As long as it last
29.17%
I plan on getting another Monte Carlo
4.17%
Keeping my Monte & getting a daily driver
4.17%
Keeping my Monte & getting a New Car soon
4.17%
Keeping my Monte & getting ? I will post what______
4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

* How long will you keep your Monte Carlo ? *

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default * How long will you keep your Monte Carlo ? *

Hi Member's,
Please vote above in the Poll
How long are you planning to keep your Chevy Monte Carlo ?

It's been over 5 years since GM Chevrolet Division has produced a Monte Carlo I find that very sad

If you do plan on selling or trading ? What would you get to replace your Monte Carlo ? Please post/share....

Look forward to viewing our MCF Member's votes & comments...

Last edited by Space; 05-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would hope that I'm able to keep my Monte till I can no longer afford to. Would not want to let it fall apart from neglect. I was just thinking about this the other day, would be fun to have a Monte Carlo Forum Will set up so our car would go to someone we feel would take care of it. Instead of getting sold off on ebay or such by our relatives to someone who would not really care for it but was a high bidder. I mean do our family members really know what the car's are worth? Would they get taken by some shrewd buyer from the local classifieds? And then all ones efforts were essentially for nothing... Anyway I was just thinking out loud. Nice poll again our Florida friend...

Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks `Greg for your words & comments. If I had you're Turbo Awesome Monte, I'd want to keep it 4-Ever - 4-Sure It's great to see our May MOTM Winner online..Thanks for all your contributions to your Monte Carlo Family
=========================================
Below article has some good information `if you are selling/trading or keeping your Monte Carlo...Post your advice/comments on this subject...
Do your Modification decrease or increase the value of your Monte Carlo ? ? ?
Below article from the `web & has some decent infor.. UnKnown author ?
===========================================
How to Increase the Resale Value of Your Car: A Comprehensive Guide<!-- [zone2] 300x250 -->

<CENTER><!--QYZ ,;;LREC;2143397762;2;--><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></CENTER>Did you know that the value of your car goes down by 65% in just 5 years of normal driving? Learning to properly maintain your vehicle from day one is the surest way to maintain a top resale value, but if your decision is spur of the moment, these tips are for you, too. Before hastily slapping a "for sale" sign on your back window or placing an ad in the local newspaper when deciding to sell, you can take advantage of these easy and fairly inexpensive tips beforehand to cash in your car for hundreds more than its blue book value, which, by the way, is nothing more than a baseline estimate. Actual vehicle values vary depending on your location, the demand for the particular make and model of the vehicle, the vehicle's mileage, overall exterior and interior condition, parts replaced, and even simple things like odors inside of a vehicle. Let's start with the basics.

Tip #1: Do not modify/customize your vehicle if you are planning on selling it

Or, if you do, stick to modifications that won't damage the appearance or functionality of the vehicle if they are removed. Make sure you keep all stock parts that you take off so you can someday put them back on, since aftermarket modifications actually decrease a vehicle's value. You may love your hot orange fiberglass dashboard with that custom tachometer, but remember the adage, "To each their own."
Tip #2: Stick to your vehicle's maintenance schedule
While strictly adhering to a maintenance schedule is the way to treat your car the best, it's also impressive to potential buyers if you can show proof of that maintenance. Each and every time you get an oil change or see your mechanic, tuck the receipt away in a folder as attestation that repair/maintenance has occurred. If you are a do-it-yourself mechanic, that's okay, too. Every time you visit your local Auto Zone or auto parts store, save the receipt, and pop that right into the folder, as well. While you should always stick to the maintenance schedule that is specific to the manufacturer of your car, to view a basic maintenance schedule and check out what you should be doing regularly, click here.
Tip #3: Keep your vehicle as clean as possible.
As much as a pain as it can be to keep the house and the car tidy, it truly is a necessary evil. Vacuuming regularly is a must, but protecting carpets with plastic floor mats is even more essential. Nothing ruins a carpet faster than not having floor mats. Keeping a vehicle washed and waxed is vital for maintaining a paint job, since mud, acid rain, salt, and sand wreak havoc on a vehicle. Waxing will not only help protect against the elements and repel rainwater, but it will also make the car easier to clean and preserve the shine. For your dashboard, an excellent protection against the sun's UV rays (which can fade an interior) is Black Magic Protect-ant, which prolongs the life of vinyl, rubber, leather, and plastic.
Tip #4: Don't Crash!
While accidents are often inevitable, if you already know that you want to sell your vehicle in the future, treat it like it's your baby. Sometimes, when we don't care about a vehicle, we drive faster and maybe slightly recklessly, leave it unlocked, and park next to shopping carts at the grocery store. Don't get careless. Always pay attention when driving and keep in mind that consumers now have access to vehicle history reports, which will list your accident if you get into one.
The tips I have listed so far are basically preventative steps you can take to keep your vehicle in tiptop shape, but what if you haven't been doing these things and your car needs some major revitalization? The following tips are fairly inexpensive ways to get all for your car that you know it's worth.
Tip #1: Sell privately
If you are planning on buying a new car or a new (but used) car from a dealership, sometimes, you will be offered a remarkable deal on the new car if you trade in your car. While this may sound great at the time, always know that you can and will get more if you sell privately, and I can personally attest to this fact. One of the vehicles that I sold was a 1990 Toyota Corolla in great condition with only 56,000 original miles. I personally went to several dealerships in my area to request a quote on trade-in value, just to be told that I wouldn't receive over $700. Funny, I sold the car privately (in only one week!) for a cool $2,400, receiving several offers from private buyers around that price range.
Tip #2: Replace important parts
The most important parts to replace are those that make it function efficiently and reliably, and keep it safe. You can do this somewhat slowly to save money, and you can save even more cash by doing the swapping yourself. If you've been sticking to a regular maintenance schedule, these updates may be completely unnecessary. First and foremost, you should make sure that tires are new and have plenty of tread. Remember, when tires have tread left, that does not automatically mean that they are good tires. Believe it or not, tires will dry rot within 2 years, leaving the rubber hard and dehydrated, decreasing traction and increasing your risk of sliding and getting into an accident. Only if you can afford to do so cheaply (remembering, you're trying to make money), you may also want to replace unsightly rims. Wheels are significant aspect of a vehicle's appearance, and ugly wheels can decrease your vehicle's value and make it downright unattractive to buyers. Replacing peeling, dented, or missing hubcaps can sometimes do the job, as well. Brakes, an oil change, spark plugs, ignition wires, a distributor cap, and an ignition rotor are components of a basic tune-up, and again, maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. You won't have to splurge for any of these parts if they have been replaced fairly recently and are up to date.
Tip #3: Clean where the sun doesn't shine
While detailing the interior and exterior is a requirement (buyers are totally turned off by a dirty car), sellers often fail to clean where people don't see right away-under the vehicle's hood. If you own a power washer with a low setting, definitely make the most of it and spray off your motor and all around the engine bay. If you don't own a power washer, that is okay, too, and you can pick up some very inexpensive engine/shop degreaser and cleaner (such as those that are citrus-based) at your local Walmart. A good degreasing cleanser, a hose, and some throwaway rags can make what is often neglected beneath the hood sparkle like new. Remember, the impression you are giving buyers is that you truly care about your vehicle, and that you're not just trying to get rid of it. Nothing says love like a clean and well-maintained vehicle.
Tip #4: Replace aesthetically pleasing elements
Parts that have a serious visual impact are things like headlights and taillights, grilles, emblems and badges, seats, carpets, and of course-paint. For scratched, foggy lenses of your headlights and taillights, a headlight repair kit can be purchased for around 10 bucks. Unfortunately, this type of kit will not work on lenses that are actually broken, so checking out your local junkyard for a reasonably priced replacement part is your best bet. Grilles, emblems, and badges can sometimes be found at the local junkyard/parts yard, as well. For the do-it-yourselfer, here is a link that shows you how you can repair your own badges, and the instructions on this site may be appropriate for several types of badges on many makes and models of cars. Seats can be covered with a wide variety of universal-fit seat covers that are sold in most auto parts stores and all over the Internet. Again, choosing a tamer print for seat covers will appeal to a wider audience than will something like leopard skin or polka dots. As for carpeting, detailing may give a carpet new life, but if it is too far-gone, your only choice is to replace or cover with attractive floor mats. Unfortunately, carpet is usually pretty expensive (usually around $200 or more), and you may opt not to spend that much when you are focused on bringing in the funds. I say to go with fantastic floor mats, making sure to revamp all other aspects of the interior.
Tip #5: Paint if you absolutely must
I know many of you are probably balking at the very fact that I am suggesting you paint your vehicle if you are planning on selling it. Painting, you're probably thinking, is ridiculously expensive and is counter-productive to the goal of making money off of the vehicle. Right and wrong. While I am only suggesting you paint your car if it is an absolute necessity, there are expensive body shops, and then there are economical body shops like Maaco. Before I sold my Toyota Corolla that I mentioned above, it was crucial for me to paint my car, which happened to be three different colors. I did it myself and I used Maaco, and here's how. You should know that what is most expensive about a paint job is not really the act of painting at all, but the preparation for painting, which includes sanding, taping off, and priming the entire vehicle. If you do this portion yourself, then you are saving a great deal of money, and are only paying the body shop to spray color onto the car. My Connecticut Maaco charged me around $260.00 to spray my car, after I prepped and primed the vehicle myself, which cost about $35.00. In comparing the value of my car before and after the paint job, I must admit that I raised the value by almost $1,000. Amazing, right? If the paint on your vehicle is not three colors like mine was and you can get away with not painting, don't do it, and instead use compound wax, which removes fine swirls and scratches. Follow with a synthetic polymer wax such as Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. For detailed information on how to paint your car on your own, click here.
There you have it-now you know how to increase the resale value of you vehicle. After sprucing up your car, you may find you like it so much that you no longer wish to sell. While this tips will almost surely elevate your vehicle's value, you should remember that the engine and transmission are truly the key components of a vehicle, and that buyers must be informed if there are serious (or not so serious) defects. A malfunctioning engine or transmission lowers the worth of a vehicle the most out of all other aspects, and it is not only wrong to lie or to not disclose this information, but it is the law, and you could be sued. Click here for information on the Lemon Law, which protects buyers in cases where a vehicle's functionality is misrepresented. If you have a sound and safe vehicle, don't be afraid to ask for the extra money you know the vehicle is worth, and happy selling!

Last edited by Space; 05-17-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I plan on keeping the Deuce for as long as I am around or unable to drive it anymore.

I do plan on getting a 69 Camaro SS when I retire (just a dream right now)

Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

My Monte has not been anyone's daily driver since I got it in September of '08 and since then I've only put roughly 10,000 miles on her.
I want to keep the Monte as a "forever/collector" car these days, even though it was really bought to replace the '94 Grand Am I am currently driving. My "forever" car though is my '84 Camaro Z28 in the garage that I want to get back to restoring. So, if I ever have to choose, Monte or the Z28, well, the Monte as nice and funa car as it is, it looses that fight.

But I'm not in that situation and we'll see how long I can stay out of that situation

Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I want to keep the monte carlo and find a new daily driver once the monte is paid off(in about 2 years). Since I picked the monte my wife wants to pick the next car but she has good taste so I dont mind.

Greg you can will it to me i'll take good care of it. I know what you mean tho I dont think anyone else would take as good of care as I do. To everyone else its just a car.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

- 'As long as it will last'

It is my daily driver and I hope to repair a couple pre-ownership body damages so I can be one of those cool old people driving cherry Monte Carlos.

I always see one 1st generation Monte in stunning condition parked in the H/C spots at a local shopping center. A white haired lady drives it, betcha she's owned it since it was new. So cool.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013

keeping the monte and im getting a goat! just gotta save a few more.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

keeping mine probably as long as she lasts. With 150k it could be another thousand miles or another 150k miles. Who knows

Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
keeping mine probably as long as she lasts. With 150k it could be another thousand miles or another 150k miles. Who knows
Same here. If I get three more years out of mine I will be more than happy. I'm pushing 190K and rust is starting to show up in places. I know a guy at work who has a monte with 250K on it, so hopefully there is lots of life left in mine!

Quick Reply: * How long will you keep your Monte Carlo ? *