FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Permanent Cabin Air Filter Water Problem Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's the exact same part, number and all for gen. 5's and gen. 7's., and several other
W-bodies during those era's.
Guess they realized the mistake with the new design used on gen. 6's and went back to what works. Maybe GM was feeling guilty and that's why it's only $4 and change.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 AM

I've owned my Monte since new,and it leaked only 2xs in all these years... But o bought the part anyway just in case. Thanks for the post

Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM

I just installed this part today thanks for the info

Old 07-03-2017, 08:36 PM

Just bought mine today, tired of scuba diving!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Woohoo! Love seeing this still helping people

Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Please fix broken images.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Please fix broken images.
Ugh I know. Photobucket has ruined so much of my helping on this forum. I just had a child 2 weeks ago, so my free-time has PLUMMETED. I'm hoping to get a day where I can just sit and focus on moving my images off photobucket onto a new platform.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Ugh I know. Photobucket has ruined so much of my helping on this forum. I just had a child 2 weeks ago, so my free-time has PLUMMETED. I'm hoping to get a day where I can just sit and focus on moving my images off photobucket onto a new platform.
Totally understandable. Congrats on your child.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Some good news, I may not have the pics, BUT I did make a PDF of this posting incase something happened. I edited post #1 and uploaded the PDF. No point in loosing the pics and good info if we don't have to.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:52 PM

Hi! This is awesome! Someone Glen01SS turned me onto this when I was obsessing over my windshield being replaced..I'd read somewhere about these insane leaks when someone was reviewing an '02 SS, which is what I've got. Glen said this

"You shouldn't have any issue with the windshield but review this guide and consider adding this part if it hasn't been already. After my windshield was replaced, the passenger floor would get wet when it rained because the cowl cover didn't seal to the new windshield. I don't think the cowl cover is available anymore but this part still was a month ago. I just put one on and had no leaks in yesterday's heavy rain." He attached this link! The only thing I could recognize in these photos was the large retainer with the slot. My retainer is two pieces, so I'm wondering if that means my cowl is as well.

Ok, so simple questions:
1. Am I seeing the PDF right now, or is there a link to it? It's so blurry.
2. Is it standard for the system to make fresh air the only option when using defrost?
3. I read lower about modifying the part, was that for Grand Prix users or for MCSS? I cannot see in the pictures what and where to modify it.
4. If I forward the link to the glass shop, will they be able to see it even though they are not on these forums?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP Is there a way to get to the PDF version you've uploaded, or is this it? What I'm seeing are great instructions with several pictures and each picture is blurry, and covered by a PhotoBucket logo. I don't know if the part has already been added, or if the cabin air filter has ever been changed. I just got this car about three weeks ago. I do notice that if I use defrost or defrost/floor combo, it kicks me to fresh air. Perhaps that is standard? I'm hoping it doesn't mean the air filter is clogged as hell.

Since this is an insurance job and warranted for as long as I own the car for defects in workmanship, I am concerned that if they can't get the cowl to seal and it starts leaking like mad that will NOT be included in the warranty. I'm hoping they'll allow me to purchase and bring this part, as they are gonna have it all apart anyway. Maybe I can pay extra out of pocket for them to install it, and a new air filter too if needed. I'll ask. I'll order both the part and the filter if they will. Otherwise it's on me to figure it out, and I can't freakin' see the pictures, lol! It may very well be that the part has already been added, I think I'll try washing the car today and see if it leaks. The last thing I want is a ruined blower motor, I live in super cold temps, ten miles from town where my vet is, and I have to have defrost. I can't hold my breath for ten miles each direction in order to keep the windshield from icing up on the inside, ahahhaha, and my cat would then freeze, too.....(He loves to go for rides in general, though not to the vet.)

Last edited by Karenski; 11-01-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: Permanent Cabin Air Filter Water Problem Fix