FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Mod Guide: L26 UIM/L67 Throttle Body Swap Guide (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 PM

I'm mostly just trying to refinish the outside of the TB. I don't need to take out the TPS rotation bar but thought that might come out on its own after I released the jam nut on the cable spring side.

I was literally just doing that and found it rotates the spring assembly. I noticed the nut is not on a regular threaded bar, more like a bar with threads on 2 sides, is that normal lefty loosy righty tighty?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:48 AM

I got it all apart. I still have the shaft in. I can see now how you need to be careful with orientation of the shaft and the TPS rod.

It feels like I can make the shaft do 360's but it get tight and I'm not going to force it.

IT will actually be the springs that will rotated the shaft and plate and the TPS bar back into position, and all that is determined by the little adjustable brass bolt and lock nut on a TB arm that that a protruding part of the linkage will hit and stop the linkage.

Hard for someone to problem imagine what I'm talking about. Okay, time to shine this up.
Thanks for the help, Don

Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I never removed that but and screw that serves as a stop guide for the linkage. I left all of that as-is.
And with out the linkage and spring, you can doing that shaft as much as you want (there is nothing that well break). If you find it gets tight or has resistance, then the bearings may need some lube, as the the line that was there probably dried up in that part of the travel.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:11 AM

I know this is an older thread with phenomenal info (thanks "The_Maniac"), I wanted to add a little tech info to the mix on this "coolant through the intake/throttlebody area". The reason for it is actually a safety issue. Google "carburetor icing", or "carb ice" in aviation... Basically put, the throttle blades with fuel, moisture (in the air) and temperature combined with the correct velocity of flow, will cause a carburetor to ice up, literally freeze in place. Causes a unresponsive throttle and engine that will turn "runaway". Now I know we don't have carburetors, however the perfect condition of moisture and temperature of the air can cause the throttle plate to ice up just like the carburetors would. Granted it's much, much harder on our modern multi-port fuel injection systems, however even Mark Whalberg ran into a perfect storm. Lol There are other tiny reasons besides that, however they all pale in comparison to that reason.

As stated before, it is rather rare in most parts of the USA, however I have had it happen to me on my old 88 gt fox mustang that I had a fender mounted CAI and I did the t-body coolant bypass when I was rolling 75 on the highway one winter night in Chicago with the cruise control on.

Last edited by SSBlue; 05-15-2016 at 12:15 AM.