FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Mod Guide: How To: Run Wires to Install Amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How To: Run Wires to Install Amp

Here is a walk through video on how to run wires for an amp, or anything else that you need, ran through to the trunk.

Sorry the video is not the best, my settings were messed up on my phone and I was having trouble with my back, but you get the basic idea of the easiest way to run wires through our Montes. Should be the same for the 06/07 Monte's also.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM

i ran a wire through the grommet and boot and had a 4-5 inch section burn up. i havent had a chance to see what happened, but im assuming it was resting on an exhaust pipe or something.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02LS
i ran a wire through the grommet and boot and had a 4-5 inch section burn up. i havent had a chance to see what happened, but im assuming it was resting on an exhaust pipe or something.
It burnt up in the engine bay? I ran mine up on top of the strut tower away from everything, I was mainly worried about the serpentine belt

Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 02LS
When I rum them through I check to see how close it is to hot and/or moving parts and will zip tie it out of the way as needed. Haven't had one come back yet What happened to you only happened because you didn't check your clearances good enough, aka installer error. Running the wire THROUGH the grommet is the right and best way to do it!

Last edited by Milhouse; 04-08-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 PM

I did a photo write up for another forum, figured I could copy the thread here.

Due to the recent spate of questions regarding getting wires across the firewall and my need to run a power wire, I thought it would be nice to take some pictures and get something more in depth than the ImpalaHQ archive.

Here is a the part that you need to remove from the grommet in order to run the part It's pretty hefty and mine was glued in place, so it took some work with a large flat head screwdriver to pop it out.

Here is what it looks like without the plug.

After getting it out you want to take a small screwdriver and puncture the rubber accordian from the inside of the car. I turned the steering wheel all the way to the right in order to get better access to the grommet from under the car without using a jack. Here is my screwdriver through the grommet. If you create a small enough hole, the rubber will 'seal' against the wire.

I pushed the power wire through from the outside and pulled about 4 feet through the grommet and into the engine bay like this and then fished for it from above with a hanger.

To get to the battery, I brought it up around the back of the coolant overflow bottle like this.

I then routed it through the engine bay and covered it with some wire loom (found at Radioshack for about 5 dollars) and used some zip ties. The pink zip ties are on the wire I ran through the grommet.

The inside of the car should look like this (keep in mind I didn't replace the plug for this picture, but you will want to put the plug back into place.

Hopefully, this will make it more clear as to what is involved in getting a wire across the grommet in the passenger foot well.

One of the easiest places to ground your amplfier is under one of the strut mount nuts. Remove some paint around the bolt as shown here:

Then slip the ring terminal over the stud and reattach the nut.