Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): ZZP or K&N Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 10:39 AM
Question ZZP or K&N Cold Air Intake?

What's up everyone, I have an '03 SS Monte Carlo and wanted to know if I should buy either the K&N or ZZP cold air intake as they are both very similar, but the ZZP cai looks like it has a larger heat shield than the K&N one, but the difference in performance is probably negligible. Let me know of your opinions on the matter, thank you!

(for reference)
ZZP CAI: https://zzperformance.com/collection...12623063187567
K&N CAI: https://www.knfilters.com/57-3045-pe...-intake-system

Old 04-11-2023, 12:09 PM

The K&N are known to actually decrease power because they suck in hot air from under the hood. The ZZP intake works much better by bringing in outside air from the stock location.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:18 PM

The difference is bigger than you'd think. The ZZP includes a lid to ensure the majority of air is being sucked from behind the headlight / inner fender. The K&N is open top and is notorious for the walls not actually sealing off the surfaces it touches (or doesn't actually touch in some spots), so air can easily get over / around the walls and into the top - especially since its a literal vacuum.

I've had K&N on my GP (got it from a local for dirt cheap) and I've got one on my GTO now (came on the car) and neither does a good job at truly sealing off the engine bay heat. IAT when stopped climb very high. When moving, they're not awful as there's a good bit of fresh air coming in, but the IAT isn't a particularly fast responding sensor (as it doesn't need to be from the factory) so you could be pretty deep into a pull before the IAT reading drops far enough to stop pulling timing.

Personally for someone looking at a CAI setup like this - Id go ZZP or Cold Air Inductions. They're all about the same price anyways.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:09 PM

Awesome you guys. I didn’t know the difference would be bigger than like a fraction of a horsepower when it comes to the K&N heat shield vs the ZZP heat shield.

Another question arises, though. Looking at the Cold Air Inductions website, there was no match for my ‘03 Monte Carlo SS in terms of a cold air intake, only an air filter pops up when I look up my car’s make, model, year, and engine. Is there a link you could provide to access it or am I doing it wrong? Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like their online catalog has a goof in it. If you look up a 2000 Monte, it is there (and it's the same for 2000-2005).

https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...extured-black/

Funny how these products change over time. Years ago, I got the Wizaird offered by ZZP. Insulated box, came with a new air duct, new place to mount the IAT. Over all, very nice except two faults. First, it used bungee style straps to hold the lid and PCM. Second, not sure if everyone had this issue, but I had trouble with the filter hitting the plexi window on the lid, it mad some small cracks on the plexi.

I just went looking just out of curiosity.... Now, ZZP does not offer the Wizaird, they offer a ZZP intake. Does not look insulated, outside of that, does look like a big improvement from the old Wizaird. Still relocates the IAT (which may/may not make a minor change to the readings feeding the PCM for air temp). Looks like they copied the lid latching from Cold Air Inductions.

Cold Air Inductions, still looks the same as what I recall. Nicely constructed and insulated box. Actually makes use of you factory air tube and original IAT position. I still feel Cold Air Inductions is the way to go. If you went with ZZP, I would consider buying the insulation (I have seen the insulating material at Home Depot).

Old 04-15-2023, 05:47 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will say, whatever one you go with, make sure it isn't over oiled. I have seen lots of cars and trucks come in running not so great, and shifting soft (sometimes even a burnt up transmission) from oil getting on the maf from their oiled filter.