Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ZZP 1.0 relearn help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Exclamation ZZP 1.0 relearn help!

OK, can someone tell me this..

is there a difference between the instructions and what's in my car? Is RUN really just the "On" position and the ON in their instructions just my ACC position?

I think i'm doing this wrong...

2002 Monte Carlo SS.

I already called to try to get help, but i guess they are not going to do any technical help on the weekends.. which is really counter-productive.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just do what the instructions say.

You may have a bad PCM, ZZP is infamous for having PCMs that don't go through the relearn well.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Well, i'm going to the ON and not ACC

Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RickCoMatic
The Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle after a Battery disconnect or a Security Breach.
Follow the steps listed below completely.

1. Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
2. Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
3. Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
4. Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
5. Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
6. Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
7. On 4th attempt, car should start.

NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.
Use that, if that doesn't work there's an issue with your PCM

Old 08-11-2012, 03:03 PM

ok, here goes.. i'm going to go disconnect my battery for 30 seconds and reconnect it. i will go to the "start" position and then go back PAST "ON"to the "ACC" position.. the spot where the engine would not normally run, but the radio and stuff would still stay on for 15 minutes. i will leave it in the ACC for 12 minutes or so.

after that i understand to go to the "off position for about 1 minute, but not remove the key.. i will then go back to the ACC position. i will not attempt to start.

i think going to OFF indicates the end of one cycle and the beginning of the next.

Last edited by Sleeping Martyr; 08-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:16 PM

ok, so i diconnected for 1 minute, reconnected and went to the start position and back to ACC, but the security light did not flash. so i moved it forward to the ON position and the light started to blink.. that's where it is right now.. What happens if that light doesn't stop flashing?

The reason i ask is that i had also earlier tried the "leave on for 35 minutes" directions and it had still been flashing.

also, how do i know i'm using the correct key and not a Valet key? i don't think this car has a Valet key, does it?

BTW, yes, my parking brake is engaged.

My understanding is to turn it back off for 30 seconds at least, then go to START and as soon the lights blank out and it doesn't start, go back to "ON" again.. this will start cycle 2.

Last edited by Sleeping Martyr; 08-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM

ok.. on cycle 2. started timer once i fell back to ON (not going to ACC) the security light started to Flash and I started my timer..

(10 minutes to go)

Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM

ok, just went out to end cycle 2 and start cycle 3.

saw the light stopped flashing before turning off the key.
turned key to off for 45 seconds and pressed it to START for about 2 seconds and slipped back to ON (not going to ACC) waited about 10 seconds and the light did not flash for Security.. letting sit another 12 minutes ..(9 to go as i type this)

Old 08-11-2012, 03:56 PM

ok Cycle 3?

OFF for 45
turn to START (no start)
slipped back to ON (no flashing security light.

on cycle 4 now>

(7 minutes to go).

Old 08-11-2012, 04:06 PM

OFF for 45
turn to START (no start)
slipped back to ON (no flashing security light.

waiting 12 more

Quick Reply: ZZP 1.0 relearn help!