Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): worried abiut jack

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default worried abiut jack

Ok so first thing, when I start the car in the morning it cranks for a while before it finally starts. Then today after I drove around for a while. I stopped at a store and when I tried to start the car again, it started but died almost immediately. Then, after 3 starts I cranked while pumpin the gas pedal and it started. It did this again 2 hours later and then when it did start it seemed like it tried to die on me. So what could this be?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a fuel pump/fuel delivery issue

Old 10-04-2013, 03:31 AM

Old 10-04-2013, 07:34 AM

Also, you may want to take your battery to AutoZone or some other auto parts store and have it tested. It may be getting time for a change.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member

i was thinking as well it could be a fuel problem, i forgot to also add, when i turn the car in the on position to hear the fuel pump it seems louder than usual, the battery i got last year so that shouldnt be the problem, i had 2 codes i forgot what it was because i accidently deleted them....ugh thank goodness im about to work 2 jobs so i can fix this car up

Old 10-04-2013, 10:56 AM

If you hear the fuel pump prime I don't see how the fuel pump could be bad. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter? The filter could be plugged and not sending ample amount of pressurized fuel to the rail. To determine if it is your fuel pump or if the filter is plugged buy yourself a fuel pressure gauge and install it to the schrader valve located @ the fuel rail. Turn the key to the on position and check your fuel pressure. You might have to cycle the key on/off to get an accurate reading. You also need fuel pressure specs. I'm not sure how much PSI youd get before and after starting the car. Rev the car up while checking the fuel gauge to make sure you have no pressure drop. It could simply be a bad coil pack, frayed spark plug wire or even a MAF sensor with a dirty wick that would cause the engine to stall, at one point we had a ford windstar come into our shop with the same issue and it turned out to be a faulty alternator. Start with a visual inspection first before you go ahead and replace parts you dont need. I'd more importantly have the ECM scanned for codes. The computer might be telling you something. good luck

Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

FYI - I have not read this entire thread, but I saw one thing glare at me to make mention....

Just because you hear a fuel pump prime does NOT guarantee it is good!! I was with a couple of guys trying to figure out why the one guy's car would not start. The pump was being ignored for quite some time (and we changed the filter, thinking that was causing a pressure issue). In the end, the pump was infact bad.

With how clean fuel is these days, it takes a lot to clog a filter, but it is the best first step before going for a pump when a car doesn't start. But if you are not certain, start getting fuel pressure readings with a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM

You are right. The pump could be priming but in fact weak causing low psi. The point I'm trying to make from all this is do your troubleshooting first. Get a gauge and get some fuel readings before replacing anything. If you exhibit a no start condition again go underneath the car with a soft hammer and hit the gas tank. I personally don't like this method but it will also help narrow down a bad pump. At the end of the day there are several different possibilities of a no start condition. CEL would be one of the many things I check in trying to assist my problem solving. Thank you for clarifying that Maniac.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member

if the check engine light comes on again im gonna wait till i get home before i do anything (i have the OBD scanner app on phone and hit wrong button which deleted codes) I deff will rent a fuel pressure gauge but if someone can show me where to hook it up on the car that would be much appreciated, as well as what the gauge is suspose to read so i can compare. i will look online and find out how ro read one of theses bad boys. thanks all for the advice and keep them coming i much appreciate this from the MCF fam

Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Here bud. Just remove the black cap and thread the adaptor. Than you plug your gauge into the adaptor.

Attached Thumbnails worried abiut jack-fpc.jpg  

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): worried abiut jack