Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Whipple Monte Progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heck yeah, good to see an update on the beast. You need two fuel pumps though?
The plan is for lots of power on E85. Injectors are 110#ers.

To give you an idea- my largest pulley is an 82mm - or about 3.23". Jonbob's record dyno pass @ about 540whp was done on a 3.25" if I remember right. I also have a 2.91" and a 2.52" for it as well.

Just want to have a little extra headroom on the pump and injectors so they're not running maxed out.

Looks good and I like the garage especially the floor...
The floor coating is really great- I couldn't imagine having another garage without. It stands up to some crazy abuse (hot tires, gas, carb cleaner, oil, coolant, etc)- and everything just wipes right off. Only tough part is finding little pieces if you drop them due to the speckle look.

I shouldn't ask since I don't need them sinc eI just bought tires but, what kind of tires are on the Monte?
BFG KDW2's- 245 wide. They're ok- nothing real crazy- they came with the rims when I bought them used, just had to replace a pair with puncture holes. They didn't hook real well with the M90 back when I had a 3.25", non-IC'd- so I can't imagine they're going to do all that well with the new setup.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
15 Year Member

Weekend update- didn't get a whole lot done this weekend. Had to work Saturday, and only had part of the day Sunday to work on it.

I did pick up the new parts:

New gas tank and fill tube (gas tank was pretty rusty on the back side, although not completely rusted through- but for $100 for a brand new tank from NAPA, that is worth the price alone to not have to screw with dumping rust in my face when I go to reinstall it.

I had thought about going to get a tank out of a junkyard out here in Phoenix, since I'm sure the tanks out here will be relatively rust free- but for $100- it just wasn't worth it. I'd spend $8 to get us in the yard, probably $30-40 for the tank- plus an hour or more laying in the rocks without my air tools or jack. It just didn't make sense to go that route.

Fill tube was almost shot in some areas. There was some structure left- but it was a little squishy in some areas. Odd that it costs more than the whole gas tank does:

I ended up getting the new fill tube installed. Have to wait until I get the dual pump setup done before I put the tank back. Also considering cutting out a hole in the trunk floor and mounting a cover- similar to the 2nd gen wbodys for getting to the pumps with the tank in the car.

Also picked up a thicker radiator. The 95 Z34s came with a thicker radiator (1 1/4" vs 5/8" thick core on the LS for my 96). Unfortunately, the top and bottom fan brackets don't fit because they wrap around the core. I think I'm just going to cut them in half, and sheet metal screw them into the new one.

Still need to fab some upper brackets since it won't hold in place correctly without the AC radiator in there.

Got some work done on the dual pump setup:

Don't laugh at the welds and metalwork- I'm obviously no sheet metal guy. Everything is just tacked in place now to make sure it fits in the tank. I do plan to finish welding everything up- and then grind down the excess weld blobs before installing.

I did build a halo hoop to go around the pumps up higher to hold them together and to the assembly- but it won't fit into the tank due to the distance from the level sensor- so I'm back to the drawing board on that part. I've got the hose clamp on there still for now (and it does fit as it is)- but that's too ghetto for me to leave it like that. Thinking about buying some thin flat stock, and bending that up instead. Also plan to reinforce that tube some more to compensate for the extra load.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

UUgh that filler tube looks bad, I can only imagine what mine looks like!

Nice to see a little progress at least

Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd be scared to poke my filler tube with a screwdriver in worry I might poke a hole

Nice work

Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 AM
15 Year Member

Another $600 parts order placed- this time with Jegs. Nothing too crazy- but will post pics Friday...

Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 AM

i used the spectre radiator 1 1/4 from autozone. It was basically a direct fit just had to do some minor modifications to screw it in at the top.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 PM
15 Year Member

As mentioned- nothing too crazy:

General rundown of what's in there:
-3 rolls of steel fuel hardline (to replace the rusted up stockers)
-2 small rolls of fuel injection hose (to connect the hard line back up at the ends)
-tranny cooler
-Jegs glasspack
-3" electric cutout
-AN wrenches
-AN fittings for my FPR
-new fittings for the top of the fuel tank to hook up the new pumps
-weld in O2 bung (going to add a dummy O2 sensor behind the cat so it makes it look more like it's a real cat); I had a spare rear O2 laying around anyways

Not pictured- I picked up 2 1' pieces of submersible fuel injection hose- that crap is like $25/ft! The rubber hose my new pump came with isn't long enough- and it looks like that flexible plastic one is already splitting at one of the ends.

The goal is to try and at least get the tank back in the car this weekend, maybe start running lines next weekend?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Man you sure are doing an overhaul... Gotta love my polar opposite

Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Loving the consistent updates

Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 AM
15 Year Member

Man you sure are doing an overhaul...
Yeah, the bad thing is that it kinda snowballs. Being this deep into it already- I have a hard time putting something back on that's all rusted out and could cause a failure (ie fuel filler neck, a couple spots in the fuel line).

The radiator was ok- a little beat up maybe, but for the price- I figured it was worth the upgrade as long as I had the whole system drained anyways. Same with the trans cooler- the trans pan is leaking (from the cheapo gasket that came with the shift kit), and I've got the radiator out anyways- so I'm just going to drop it in while I've got the trans fluid all drained out anyways.

Loving the consistent updates
Thanks for the input- good to hear, I'll keep them coming then.

Quick Reply: Whipple Monte Progress