Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Whats the deal with Bosch plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
Think about Electricity 101. What's one of the first things that you learn about electricity? It takes the path of least resistence every time. Since this is the case, why does a spark plug need more then one prong? That's one of my main beefs against E3 plugs as well. This is why Bosch platinum 4 plugs are gimmicky.
Reducing the resistance in the wire/plug allows more energy to reach the spark plug electrode. Multiple prongs alter the flame front of the explosion. The altered flame front consumes a higher percentage of the fuel charge which improves combustion. Improved combustion equals cleaner burning and more power.

I don't know about the other multiple prong plugs, but E3 has put a LOT of R&R into their plugs and have documentation that verifies an improvement in mpg and hp output. They were called to task about their claims and were given the 'seal of approval' to make those claims because they were proven through independent testing.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Reducing the resistance in the wire/plug allows more energy to reach the spark plug electrode. Multiple prongs alter the flame front of the explosion. The altered flame front consumes a higher percentage of the fuel charge which improves combustion. Improved combustion equals cleaner burning and more power.

I don't know about the other multiple prong plugs, but E3 has put a LOT of R&R into their plugs and have documentation that verifies an improvement in mpg and hp output. They were called to task about their claims and were given the 'seal of approval' to make those claims because they were proven through independent testing.
I hate disagreeing with people because I know it looks rude, but unfortunately I have to disagree with you. It's for marketing purposes to explain that flame angle makes a mkre complete burn. It doesn't matter the flame angle because if there is a spark in the combustion chamber and the afr is correct, then you will have a clean burn. The afr, proper heat range, and spark plug gap are the most important things for a good burn. Multi prong plugs MIGHT extend the life of the plug, but if a piece breaks off, then you'll have problems.

Multi prong plugs are simply not worth the money. If they were, then why are auto manufacturers or racing teams (like in NASCAR) or ZZP even, not using them?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

i used autolite platnium for almost a year now and ive had no such issues

Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by zipper
I hate disagreeing with people because I know it looks rude, but unfortunately I have to disagree with you. It's for marketing purposes to explain that flame angle makes a mkre complete burn. It doesn't matter the flame angle because if there is a spark in the combustion chamber and the afr is correct, then you will have a clean burn. The afr, proper heat range, and spark plug gap are the most important things for a good burn. Multi prong plugs MIGHT extend the life of the plug, but if a piece breaks off, then you'll have problems.

Multi prong plugs are simply not worth the money. If they were, then why are auto manufacturers or racing teams (like in NASCAR) or ZZP even, not using them?
No worries, I don't think you are being rude simply because you have an opinion that differs from mine. I agree with the majority of what you said, except for the flame angle. Obviously you are well versed on combustion. That being said you should also understand that you will never establish 100% burn. There is always a certain percentage of unspent fuel charge. That unspent portion of the fuel charge is wasted energy. By manipulating how the flame front grows you can burn a higher percentage of the fuel charge. In turn more energy is produced.

Until it was realized that you could manipulate the flame front with multiple ground prongs the only way to do so was by indexing your spark plugs. Just like indexing, multiple ground prong plugs can increase the percentage of fuel charge consumed during the power stroke IF they are properly designed. There's no doubt in my mind that some companies have jumped on the bandwagon and are using the multiple prong design simply as a marketing tool. Many have been since they were introduced in the mid 80s by Nippon Denso. But some companies have actually done the R&R and produce a product that works as advertised.

If you think about the logic and reasoning behind plug indexing then the design of multiple ground prong plugs should be easier to understand.