Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

what can i do to get more hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Default RE: what can i do to get more hp

HP is about the best you can buy

Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks for clearing up how few s/c ss's there were in 04- so most likely its an L36.

If thats the case, I don't think a tuner/laptop would be a good use of money at this point- I mean he only has a CAI.

I would think he would get more power out of an aftermarket DP, rockers, HV3, and a canned pcm- but I guess it depends how far he wants to go overall.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 AM

i do have a supercharger and i have a cai by k&n i just got rid of the u-bend today and resinator. shows a little difference sound wise but i will have to look in on mufflers and the pcm tune as well as what size pulley to get for the superand i will check out zzperformance thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 AM

With just a CAI and ubend delete- you're going to have to stick to the stock pulley. You'd have to scan to be sure, but you may just be coming up to 0 knock on the stock pulley, so I'd definitely look into doing more supporting mods before you start thinking about a 3.4/3.5 pulley.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Does the Main Intake Port for Air Intake to the Air Cleaner coming from behind the driver side headlight qualify as a Cold Air Intake? It seems to me that the Intake Air is coming in from outside the Engine Compartment. So, I probably shouldn't have any modifying of that to do ... correct?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:10 PM

To be a proper 'cold air intake' the air filter has to be completely shielded from receiving any engine bay heat. They are usually fully enclosed in a box (except the front/side)- or have an open top that seals against the hood.

Like this:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113

If its just a filter sitting in the engine bay, behind the headlight- thats a 'hot air intake' because it will pick up the general engine bay heat as the fans circulate it around. This is the worst kind of intake.

The other option is a fenderwell intake- where you continue with flexible tubing all the way into the fender- and put the entire filter in the fenderwell. This gives the low IATs of a cold air intake (even lower in some cases)- but is more restrictive due to the extra bends- so its a tradeoff.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 PM

The filter box is definitely in the Engine Bay. But, the "Hole" for Air entering the Filter Box is outside the Engine Bay and sealed-off so that Engine Bay Air doesn't enter the cut-out where outside air gets pulled in past the filter. I don't know if it would matter that the Filter Box isn't shielded. The distance from the Outside Air Intake Port behind the headlight to the Manifold is pretty short.
I guess I'll leave it alone. I could put insulation surrounding the Box that houses the Filter ... but, I doubt the Air gets delayed very much on the way into the Throttle. Maybe Chevy was thinking about CAI when they designed it that way.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Oh, are you talking about the stock airbox? Then yes- it is technically a 'cold air intake'. The box isn't insulated- so there is some leakage of heat through it, but not enough to be concerned with- the air its drawing in is much colder than your engine bay.

The problem with the stock airbox is they usually don't flow very well- the inlets are usually small, they use a filter with a smaller surface area (usually), they usea fairly rough corrugatedconnecting tube,and usually have other stuff to prevent noise that can reduce flow.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 PM

CAI - $200
Downpipe with Ubend delete - $200
Rockers - $450 for SLP 1.8's or $300 for 1.9's.
Tstat, plugs: $25.
PCM - $100
3.5" pulley and puller $150
Ported ThrottleBody - $200.

Now I would recommend pulling the Rockers, ThrottleBodyand PCM and go with HP Tuner - $500 (I would recommend a used Pro one though for $650 and you can find them used).

Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 AM

i know with my new k&n cai or whatever you wanna call it it makes a hell of a difference in sound and power i think it still gets cold air and def. more air flow sounds sweet im happy with it. i dont know if i wanna pay over 200$ for the wizshield when i spent that on the kit id rather make my own out of fiberglass or plastic, it basically just needs a top to it from what i can tell. either way im getting more flow

Quick Reply: what can i do to get more hp