Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

What aftermarket cylinder heads to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow What aftermarket cylinder heads to get?

hey guys, check out my new member post in the new member area to see my mods, i am basically pushing about 300hp to the wheels on stock heads and cam, already have an xp hot cam I'm waiting to put in I'm just trying to find the right cylinder heads to go along with...zzperformace cmc heads or zzperformance stage 3 heads? what do you recommend? any other heads? thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM

What is the actual HP you dyno'd at? Reason I ask is that if you've got stock heads and a stock cam doing over 300whp, you're likely high enough to get on the top 5 record list (which currently ranges from 303 whp to 318 whp).

The bad news is, you're hitting a point of diminishing returns and increasing costs with a M90 setup. The XP records currently range from 364 to 389 whp, some of those being on high compression bottom ends. You have to start thinking if it will really be worth the money between the cam, timing chain, gaskets, etc plus another $1100-2000 on heads to barely pick up another 50 whp.

For comparison purposes, the turbo records for stock cam/stock heads are 411-430 whp. There are people with stock heads up to even 500 whp running a turbo. The reason I point that out is that now is a good time to consider the future of the car. If you'll be happy with mid-high 300s whp- then maybe just doing heads/XP will be fine for you. If there is any possibility of wanting more in the future, now is a good time to switch gears to a turbo setup.

If you are dead set on doing heads, I personally have the ZZP stage 4 heads on my monte. I can't speculate on power gains because I swapped the engine in with them on along with a bunch of other mods (cam, headers, ported blower, high compression, etc). I picked them because I wanted the best of the best (at that time, this was before the aluminum heads came out), and they happened to be leading many of the HP record charts at the time with big cam setups. I'm very happy with the quality of work.

The tough part about heads is that it is hard to find an A-B comparison between two sets (say ZZP CNC and ZZP S4) since it varies so much from setup to setup- especially based on what cam the person runs.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member

Was going to get a turbo kit but I prefer superchargers any day over a turbo... Direct pull on the crank shaft vs turbo lag... I dynoed just under 300 with a lot of supporting mods so the last two mods for now will be the cam and heads probAbly stage 3s.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 03vaderSS
Was going to get a turbo kit but I prefer superchargers any day over a turbo... Direct pull on the crank shaft vs turbo lag...
No offense intended, but have you ever driven a high 300s whp s/c wbody and a high power turbo wbody?

I get that the quick response of a supercharger is great and all, but that's only really applicable from a dig- where you really can't hook all of that power anyways. From a roll, the engine is already moving a good deal of exhaust gas (assuming you've got it in the gear you're going to roll race in and aren't sitting in 4th), so with a good modern turbo- spool time is extremely low (and if you brake boost- it is even closer to nothing). Obviously that's all out the window if you get some cheapy $200 journal bearing ebay turbo though.

My guess is that at 300 whp, you're already traction limited through most of 1st gear on the street anyways. It will get even worse with another 50+ whp. By the time you get to the point where you can finally go WOT, you're well past the point of where a good turbo setup could be making full boost anyways.

I dynoed just under 300 with a lot of supporting mods so the last two mods for now will be the cam and heads probAbly stage 3s.
It doesn't appear that ZZP carries S3 heads anymore. The dropdown selection is for either S2 or S4. That is unless you plan to get used heads.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-01-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member

Got ya no disrespect either my friend

Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 AM

I took a look at your intro thread to see what your current mods were- I was curious what the "high flow AEM oil pump" was?

Also, you still running a 3.4" pulley? I would think with that IC that you should be able to pick up more power by going smaller on the pulley.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM

wow this guy is on it.. he knows his stuff i'll give you that