Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Upper Intake Manifold Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Upper Intake Manifold Leak

Yes, it's happening again. I replaced the stock one about 40k miles ago with the dorman replacement due to the EGR coolant leak. It served me well I guess, except for the fact that it's going again so soon. I want to do a supercharger install in the near future, so I have a pretty simple question:

Should I spend my time custom fabbing a 3800 Series III aluminum intake to fit, or just buy the dorman again and then scrap it when I go to do the supercharger mod? Also, should I bother with new injectors while I'm in there?

Thanks a lot for any help and opinions!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I would say if you are serious about top-swapping in the future do the CHEAPEST fix that will keep you going.

Is your Dorman UIM actually leaking? If so, is it the same spot, around the EGR stove pipe? If so, your cheapest fix is to simply tap and plug the coolant ports on the LIM. I used stainless steel set screws on my LIM. My father used a brass plug from the plumbing isle (admittedly, I wish that was what I did).
Blocking these off will have no noticeable affect on the car's temp or performance.

If you go with the L26 UIM, here is a full write up of all I did (but I went above and beyond, some porting and such):
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...c-heavy-48949/

Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Yes, it's actually leaking. It's doing the same as the OEM one just before it totally crapped out; coolant visibly dripping down the trans housing, loss of coolant, and a small pool of coolant on the top of the engine just in front of the UIM on the far right hand side (just behind the thermostat housing). It's just a matter of time now before it completely goes, so I'll probably just end up buying another dorman and slapping it on until I can do the top swap. I have been driving my Monte for a few weeks now because I'm in the process of selling my truck and buying a Saabaru (9-2x) for winter driving. Yeah, it's ugly and complicated but gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

I'll definitely look into tapping the ports on the LIM like you suggested too. Thanks a lot!!!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Just an fyi for anyone else having the all-too-common UIM/coolant leaks, I STRONGLY recommend getting aluminum coolant elbows and replacing the stock ones even if you're not having any issues yet. I believe it's better to be safe than sorry, and believe me, when those things go, you're not going anywhere until they get fixed. I had the stockers burst on me shortly after I had the UIM replaced the first time, and the replacements lasted about a month before they exploded and left me stranded on I-80 here in PA. Thank God I was only a few miles from home or the tow truck bill would've been insane. I finally got aluminum elbows and they are fantastic. No more problems.