Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 AM

but I haven't heard many tranny failures with a turbo.
I'd double check that. Looking through classified sections from forums that have a lot more people running high power setups, I see turbo kits for sale every other day.
Seems like a lot of them are for sale because that person is tired of eating transmissions.
You can read about guys that do a turbo build and demod it within six months. There are more than a handful of them.

A turbo kit is definitely the fastest route to lots of power, if that is your ultimate goal. Like I said above, there are always turbo kits for sale in different classified sections, and most of them don't have very many miles on them at all.

No matter what route you go, however, it gets more and more expensive the further you go.

-Riggs.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 AM

The thing with the turbo vs transmission is odd.

I think at the same power level s/c vs t/c it seems like the turbo's are easier on the transmission because you don't have that instant torque out of the hole (or right at a WOT downshift, etc)- the little bit of lag helps the tranny out.

However, the other side of the coin is that a lot of people who start modding with a turbo setup get into really big power real fast (its pretty easy to put down more power than the most hardcore M90 setups out there)- so thats why I think you see more of the failures occur.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 AM

However, the other side of the coin is that a lot of people who start modding with a turbo setup get into really big power real fast (its pretty easy to put down more power than the most hardcore M90 setups out there)- so thats why I think you see more of the failures occur.
That's true.
The most recent thread I saw was someone that busted one of ZZP's 4340 input shafts.
That was at something like 570whp though. Go figure.

-Riggs.