Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

update on the 03 ss

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking update on the 03 ss

hey guys haven't posted in a few months now. my monte is still at my pro shop being repaired and built even more from the mod list on my page. its been gone since august but its in good hands and being built properly and putting everything i want in it, so this can be the last time the engine comes out of the car.
since i have the lim from the ssm90 zzp kit, it basically threw a lot of things off. i couldn't get the billet logs from zzp or the aeromotive fuel logs since the injectors are straight up and not angled like a normal l67 lim. don't ask why i didn't just do a top swap. i did my build *** backwards but now its squared away and a few thousand dollars wasted but in the end it will be worth it. aeromotive has custom logs that are made for you to fabricate. my tuner found these and is making custom lines to reach the injectors without using spacers since i am double stacking 2 short stack intercoolers.
the way these intercoolers are expected to be used it quite ridiculous. my tuner stated that i should run a reservoir 5 gallon in the trunk with a pump running to each intercooler core and when i bring it to the track, throw some ice in it to gain some extra hp and keep the cores cool. he also stated that if i agreed to take out the donut he can fit the reservoir where the donut goes and can cut if need be so i keep my trunk space that remains with the subwoofers.
i stated that regardless of of taking away trunk space, the door to get to the donut is a pain to get to because of the subs. he said that he will cut the door to the donut since its wood where the front bottom of the sub box sits. he will put install a simple **** to lift the cover on and off. thought that was a good idea so we are doing that.
Next I'm upgrading to a walbro 455 pump since I'm running e85 and with the extensive mod list, it will provide enough fuel. also running intense hot wire kit. i am running a supercharger belt tensioner on the snout from wbodystore. i had my stage 3 zzp heads ported further since the poor job of porting on their behalf. the runners are opened up, new seals, new valve job and polished. upgraded to the xpz cam from the xp. I'm also running a 3 inch electric exhaust cutout from the downpipes due to my 2.5 inch magnaflow exhaust restricting the flow. the car will be tuned with the cutout open, eventually i will get a 3.5 inch exhaust or true dual 2.5 inch but the cost is too much so i think the cutout is the best choice for now. also who wouldn't want to hit the unlock button at a light when your next to your next victim. i also have the zzp trans with 2500 stall converter installed with all options upgraded (pump shaft, input shaft etc...)
he is also making a custom intake tube since the wiz air uses the flexible tube which is not good because the inside leaves cracks and pockets to trap air flow. i also got the triple a pod pillar and got innovative wideband sensor lc2, boost and fuel pressure gauges to go in as well. all gaskets used are cometic as well as cometic custom gasket material. no more of that garbage from the 3800 retailers that leaks and is cheap.
the last thing that is being done to the monte is since I'm running 2 ic cores , the stock hood won't close. i had my tuners body shop guy take a look at it. I'm going to have him custom make a cowl hood using my factory hood and adding to it which will be a wide cowl reaching all the way back to the windshield. always loved cowl hoods, and for 600$ cash thats good for me.
i should have it back in about 2 weeks and i will post dyno results guys and get some pics up here, all i have left to do eventually is a new full exhaust, paint, re tint, and bigger wheels. thanks for reading!

Last edited by 03vaderSS; 01-11-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds awesome man. I'm sure ur totally stoked.

Can't wait to see pics and dyno results

Old 01-11-2016, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Sounds awesome man. I'm sure ur totally stoked.

Can't wait to see pics and dyno results
Thanks man!! Yea it's gonna be great and ready for car shows finally this year. Going to take it to the track too

Old 01-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 03vaderSS
i had my stage 3 zzp heads ported further since the poor job of porting on their behalf. the runners are opened up, new seals, new valve job and polished.
Curious who told you that the zzp s3 heads are so poorly ported? If it's this shop telling you that, I sure wouldn't put any faith in it at all. If that's the case, it seems like they just want to hog the heads out to make more money.

I'm not saying there isn't some minor room for improvement on them, but zzp had done a lot of testing on the 3800 to arrive at that porting style, and it really shows. I want to say the zzp s3 heads hold about 10 of the top 5 spots for each 3800 camshaft. Some of those are supercharged setups near or just over 400 whp.

That's why I would take it with a grain of salt if any shop tells you the port job is poor and that they're going to get you any noticeable power improvement.

I also don't really subscribe to the idea of doing a monster IC tank with twin pumps and twin lines. That's going to add a lot of weight and will not add power. It will also add more potential leak points. The only time a monster reservoir is helpful is when doing very long WOT pulls. Maybe for someone doing a lot of back to back 1/4 mile runs or someone running the mile, I could see it, but not for a street car.

IMO, a normal sized trunk reservoir and a good single pump will save you money, complexity, and will give you 99% of the benefit.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agree with bumpin here with everything he said, I still don't like the fact of 2 ssic stacked on top of each other but that's just me.... curious to see your new hood, I had to custom build mine as well so that has me excited to see. Fuel logs for the l36 heads no one makes as you already know..... but that may soon change and there may be a set available for us l36 head guys!! I'll keep everyone posted about the fuel logs once they are finalized and tested and in production! One last thing, 3.5" catback is way overkill. 3" is plenty if not a little overkill unless your making over 500whp then I could see 3" catback imo

Can't wait to see dyno results! What pulley size you planning to use?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member

I disagree, my shop knows what they are doing and I will gain power with the reservoir set up. It will keep the flow more efficient to each core as well as help the cooling effect and this car will make more whp. I'm staying with a 3.0 pulley on the ported gen 3. Also I saw the heads for myself and the runners were poorly worked on and the bowls were blended horribly. The e85 wil benefit and reduce the heat soak. Leaving the Ic cores with the stock pump set up is pointless. Once it's hot from the first dyno pull, it's completely useless. I'm thinking about a 2.8 pulley.

Last edited by 03vaderSS; 01-11-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ha, have not seen a new high dollar custom build for awhile, sounds like your going over the top with it. It will be an ongoing experiment as problems manifest themselves and are solved with alternate parts. You may end up with a table full of lightly used parts before your where you want to be. But that is part of the process. Happy for you, it takes quite the dedicated person to do a build on these platforms anymore. Your an odd bird, why did you want to take it this far? You have some GP buds eating you up or just want to have a one off B.A. build in your area?

Good luck on the tune / dyno session. Seems like most times a few bugs will show up and they require a bit of head scratching and a return to the dyno another day or even more. Your going to need to invest in the GMPP limited slip differential with all our power. Turbo Monte is about the only source for one of those, extremely rare, difficult and spendy when you can find one.

What size rims do you have" 16's, 17's? The widest tire I'm using is a 255 / 50 / 16. There is another member here who is using an iced water to air I/C set up. It is on his 07 817whp LS engine.

Here is Sam's trunk mounted water to air ice chilled system:

Name:  SAMS%20MONTE%20FINAL%20025_zpsytoi54fw.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  520.0 KB

Name:  SAMS%20MONTE%20FINAL%20026_zpsjbgj3v5c.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  559.5 KB

Sam's 817whp LS beast...
Name:  SAMS%20MONTE%20FINAL%20029_zpsmemhm0tn.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  674.9 KB

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 01-12-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member

Yea I've seen that on YouTube it was over 1000whp at one point it's sick. Yea I have a lot of slightly used parts I will be posting up for sale here shortly after I get it back. I just want to build a bad *** 3800 that's all, and continue eating some mustang and ls owners. 245 45 18 on 18inch rims. I'm On my stockers for the winter. I want to run 275s but not sure if it's possible to fit.

Last edited by 03vaderSS; 01-12-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 03vaderSS
I disagree, my shop knows what they are doing and I will gain power with the reservoir set up. It will keep the flow more efficient to each core as well as help the cooling effect and this car will make more whp. I'm staying with a 3.0 pulley on the ported gen 3. Also I saw the heads for myself and the runners were poorly worked on and the bowls were blended horribly. The e85 wil benefit and reduce the heat soak. Leaving the Ic cores with the stock pump set up is pointless. Once it's hot from the first dyno pull, it's completely useless. I'm thinking about a 2.8 pulley.
I guess my point is that the 3800/m90 combo has a proven history in many configurations. If the shop is claiming you're going to make so much more power than the others cars that have held the records for years and years, id ask why they haven't done it already and why more people aren't using their parts.

No doubt they can make a little more power by cleaning up the heads a bit more, but don't let them fool you into thinking they're going to come up with something that flows far better - at least not at the low valve lifts we deal with. If the heads were so bad, there wouldn't be so many standing records with them. I just hope they don't ruin them by hogging them out for .600+ lift flow numbers.

Also, I'm not saying a trunk reservoir isn't a good idea. I totally understand having some extra capacity when you just can't find an adequate spot under the hood. I'm just saying a 5 gallon tank, plus dual pumps and dual sets of lines is going to add a lot of fluid and a lot of weight that you likely won't need in normal use. If you're that concerned about the fluid getting heat soaked too quick, perhaps you should be looking into a better heat exchanger since that is ultimately the place where the heat needs to exit the system. Keep in mind, the system has a sort of inertia - so if you add a bunch of fluid capacity, it can still get heat soaked eventually. It will just take that much longer for the heat exchanger to expel all that heat you've stored up.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member

[QUOTE=bumpin96monte;679784]I guess my point is that the 3800/m90 combo has a proven history in many configurations. If the shop is claiming you're going to make so much more power than the others cars that have held the records for years and years, id ask why they haven't done it already and why more people aren't using their parts.

I appreciate your opinion but everyone I guess is an expert. I went down to the shop to see the heads for myself and was given a detailed explanation that I confirmed by my own research. I don't care what the records are and to be honest I haven't even looked at them. I took advice from Chris at bullyflow. You should check out his video mash out meeting 1. Also I think taking advice from a professional drag racer and engine builder is enough for me. I do understand what you are saying about why this wasn't done before. How can you know exactly that each specific part and port job was actually done in those cars? These are still business we deal with. How come zzp doesn't sell stage heads anymore? Yes it's time consuming and costly just for the barbs to port the case iron heads but if they were soo great they would be a best seller and still available. Just saying that's weird to me