Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

twin charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

is your mc pretty much stock? with some basic mods like: pulley,ubend deleted or down pipe, pcm or custom tuning, cai, plugs, and 'tstat i think you should have no problem running with the ponies. now if those 'stang are mildly modded than i would consider rockers or cam.

Last edited by nemesis; 06-30-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM

i just got got her recently so she is stock but the guys i work with have modded ponies that push about 400 horses, i compete with ricers too but they are no threat. btw this is my first efi monte. my last two montes were carbureted so im still hella new to the whole computer controlled motor

Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I hate to say it, but just the twin charge kit and a 3.4" pulley running 9's... no way. 9's and 10's are FAR harder than it may seem, especially in these FWD cars.

Just like a regular TC or SC setup, there is nothing special about it. However, I bet if you do make the power to run 9's at the strip, you won't be daily driving it with 'no major problems'.

Have you ever rode in a turbo 3800 car? Unless you put some stupid massive turbo on there, and don't opt for a BB option- turbo lag is a bunch of BS.

Any of the normal turbo kits don't have this crazy massive turbo lag that you're thinking of. Heck, since you're talking about street cars so much- even a big turbo setup with full supporting mods has enough power to easily roast the tires all over in 1st, so getting full boost a second earlier wouldn't help there anyways.

Also, if you're talking about even a 10 second setup, why would you not change the converter? That makes no sense at all- you're going to have to get a fully built trans anyways, why leave a stock converter in there?

Even for a normal twin charge setup with basic mods, you're still going to likely upgrade the trans a bit- why force yourself to stay with the stock converter- especially if you plan to go to the track with slicks (needed for 9s/10s anyways).
Like I typed before I have not fully researched this nor will I until I get the Monte paid off. I was told that the most you can get from this is 9's and 10's is very possible but you can't run anything less then a 3.4 pulley from what I was told. So again I have not fully researched this so I don't know the full scope.

Secondly, if everything is tuned right and build right why can't you drive a well build s/c or t/c car daily with no major problems?

Third, there is a lack of turboed 3800's in this area so I have not rode in one.

Forth, and again from what I was told that you can keep your stock converter with the stock stall so to me that means saving money. The Monte is the first thing that I have owned with a converter so I am trying to learn what all of this stuff does and at the same time plan out and get parts for a TBI engine rebuild. As to why you wouldn't change out the converter it has something to do with the stall. Something about the lower stall is better for street driving while a higher stall is better for racing. Again for me that is years down the road before I will hopefully have to rebuild the tranny so I am going to try to learn what I can when I have the time to learn it.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM

i think with good tuning and modification twin charged is just as good as single turbo setup. the guy ran a 11.5 @ 125 i think that's pretty good!!
If its just as good as a single setup, then in my opinion- why not part out your top end, and just get a turbo? Less hassle, less tuning issues, and you'd get some money back out of the supercharger and stuff.

From what I have read you cant supercharge and turbo the 3800 at the same time. If you did have a supercharger (L67) you have to buy a block off plate or get a N/A upper.
You read wrong, lol- there are a good handful of setups out there with it.

thanks for your input guys, i really appreciate. main reason i was considering this is because im tired of seeing all these mustangs acting bad. and i need more than 240 stock horses in my stable. i wanna have a car that takes off fast(supercharger) and keep it at high ends (turbocharger) its like best of both worlds. i just wanna show these roadkills(mustangs) why chevy rocks
I agree with silverbullet- forget looking at a twin charge kit and do basic bolt ons. A 3.4" pulley setup with all the supporting mods can run well under $1000 and give you ~300 crank hp.

Also, I think you're a little misled about the turbo setups- once you start making decent power with ANY FWD setup (be it supercharged or turbo'd)- traction out of the whole becomes a major issue. So you may think the SC is going to be so much faster out of the hole, but really you're going to be traction limited on street tires anyways, so it won't matter. If you're that worried about spool time- get the smallest turbo they offer in the kit, and upgrade to a BB option. I bet if you brake boost it before you leave from a dig that you'll realize you don't have enough traction to go WOT out of the hole anyways.

the guys i work with have modded ponies that push about 400 horses, i compete with ricers too but they are no threat
I hate to say it, but there are a lot of import setups (especially when you get into swapped and/or boosted civic hatches and such) that will absolutely destroy even a twin charge setup. One other thing you'll also have to realize about your RWD friends, is they're always going to have more traction. So even if you get the same horsepower to weight ratio as them, you're still going to be slower out of the hole because you can't get into it as quick as they can.

I was told that the most you can get from this is 9's and 10's is very possible but you can't run anything less then a 3.4 pulley from what I was told.
http://www.3800pro.com/forum/fwdquarter.php

Take a look at that link and that will give you a better idea of how totally unrealistic 9's and 10's are for the bulk of people.

#2,3,6,&7 were all sponsored by Intense Racing
#1,4,5?,&10 were all sponsored by ZZP

I don't know about the couple of others left- but there aren't a whole lot of individual people in the top 10.

Also, you need to look at the weights too, every one of those cars was gutted to get those times.

Are 9's/10's possible for the average person with a twin charge kit? IMO, no- not at all. Only way I see it happening is if you were to take $15k or so and drop your car off at ZZP and say you want to run 10's.

Secondly, if everything is tuned right and build right why can't you drive a well build s/c or t/c car daily with no major problems?
You mentioned a 9/10 second twin charge setup- that is not daily driveable by any means. And with any other setup, the weak link will always be the trans; even if you just went for average horsepower for a semi-built turbo setup- and say it manages 400 whp- the trans isn't going to last 100k miles with a setup like that unless you never get into boost.

Forth, and again from what I was told that you can keep your stock converter with the stock stall so to me that means saving money.
I hate to say it, but what good is saving $350 on a converter and risking the stock one ballooning and failing; when you're dropping $5k+ into your powertrain setup.

IMO if you plan to get a turbo kit (even a twin charge) and plan to do some more modding to it- a built trans is a must. So you're going to have all this money into the powertrain and have it all taken apart, but still put back in an old, used stock converter to save a couple hundred? Not a good idea IMO- they make aftermarket converters with lower stalls for the SC people.

As to why you wouldn't change out the converter it has something to do with the stall. Something about the lower stall is better for street driving while a higher stall is better for racing.
Definitely true if you're worried about gas mileage- but if you've got $8k+ into a turbo kit and built trans (plus any other mods)- I don't see this being your only car.

Also, it is true that a higher stall converter won't really help you on the street anyways- you're always going to be traction limited on street tires, but you don't have to go for a 4500 stall. They do make options that start barely over stock (while still having a stronger overall piece). Heck, I've got a 3000 in my monte, and it is totally streetable. You can definitely tell its a bit looser than stock; but you could definitely use it in a daily driver.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
If its just as good as a single setup, then in my opinion- why not part out your top end, and just get a turbo? Less hassle, less tuning issues, and you'd get some money back out of the supercharger and stuff.
that's the problem about demodding i hate to get rid of my shiney bling bling. with the setup i have now i wouldn't demod anyway cuz i can run that with the turbo setup or t/c if i decide to go that route.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
that's the problem about demodding i hate to get rid of my shiney bling bling. with the setup i have now i wouldn't demod anyway cuz i can run that with the turbo setup or t/c if i decide to go that route.
Would you go with a remote turbo set up? I'm just curious! I'm waiting to get the quaife diff, input shaft and a few other hardened pieces before I install the turbo. I got a good deal on a CT kit so ...!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

here's a local guy from last month track. he ran 11.47@120. with a T67/ST5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP-JNq0mKjU

Last edited by nemesis; 06-30-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Bumpin,

Thanks for the info....when I get to the place where I have the Monte paid off I will be looking at everything before I start saving and buying.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Would you go with a remote turbo set up?
Why would you do a remote turbo- pretty much any bolt on turbo kit can be used that puts the turbo in the engine bay- no reason to custom design something for the rear of the car (BTW Intense tried doing a rear mount turbo, and it never got off the ground).

I'm waiting to get the quaife diff, input shaft and a few other hardened pieces before I install the turbo.
IMO, scrap the quaife idea, and go with a GM Racing one if you can find one.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Why would you do a remote turbo- pretty much any bolt on turbo kit can be used that puts the turbo in the engine bay- no reason to custom design something for the rear of the car (BTW Intense tried doing a rear mount turbo, and it never got off the ground).
Why would I? Never said I would. I would like to know what Silver has in mind if he goes turbo. I'm installing a CT kit my self. I read about the Intense Project and wouldn't dream of going remote.

IMO, scrap the quaife idea, and go with a GM Racing one if you can find one.

I've heard great reviews from some of the clubgp guys that have the quaife. Chevy used them in the Cobalt SS/T with good results as well. Besides, I'm getting a super great price on the unit, lol.

Quick Reply: twin charging