Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

twin charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Default twin charging

guys im looking to get deplloyed soon and after i come back im planning on putting more horses in my stable. the main thing im looking at doing is twin-charging. ive looked around and havent seen much of it being done. i was looking to get your opinions and POV's on this.
btw its a 04 ss intimidator

Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

turbo and supercharger? i hear thats not possible along with twin turbo.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by trewyn15
turbo and supercharger? i hear thats not possible along with twin turbo.
you must heard it wrong there are few people done it on the GTP i'm thinking about going that route too when my car is pay off.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...anguage=single

Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
you must heard it wrong there are few people done it on the GTP i'm thinking about going that route too when my car is pay off.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...anguage=single
okay, maybe i heard that twin turbo isnt possible with our cars then, i know it was one of them haha

Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Anything is possible lol

Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM

yea im def gonna do this but would a remotoe turbo be better than to put the turbo under the hood. besides space under the hood, theres also the problem of having a lot of heat under the hood. also im in the process of learning and water-injectors vs intercoolers. any suggestions guys?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 PM

The twin charge kit that ZZP sells is from what I know is good to put your stock car into the 10's (or something close). If you have a 3.4 pulley then you might see 9's. I have not done alot of research on this because as of right now...I still got 3 years left to pay on the car. But after I am done I will look into this setup more because it will let you keep your stock torque converter and you can drive your car on the road with no major problems. From what I have heard it is the best street/strip setup for our cars. With a pure turbo setup, depending on turbo size, you will have to change your torque converter to more of a racing setup. Personally since I want the Monte to be a street mostly and strip for fun car I will be more serious bout this setup later.

About the setup from what I understand...the supercharger gives you power off the line (aka no turbo lag) then after that the supercharger blows off boost and the turbo takes over. I hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 PM

i was looking to get your opinions and POV's on this.
Waste of money IMO- if you're not happy with the power of a built supercharged setup- then just do a regular single turbo. With enough supporting mods, you'll have more traction than your tires can put to the ground and without having to mess with a twin charge setup and its specific hurdles.

okay, maybe i heard that twin turbo isnt possible with our cars then, i know it was one of them haha
Twin turbo is possible too- look at the ZZP drag car. Also, there have been at least 2 more twin turbo setups I've seen through the years (although all the kits are single, and IMO a single setup is proven to be plenty efficient).

yea im def gonna do this but would a remotoe turbo be better than to put the turbo under the hood. besides space under the hood, theres also the problem of having a lot of heat under the hood. also im in the process of learning and water-injectors vs intercoolers. any suggestions guys?
Again, why mess with all the complications of a twin charge setup and a remote mount setup- just sell your engine's top end- pick up a regular 3800 top end, and stick a single turbo kit on it.

It will fit, and the heat is not a problem- there are tons of people out there with turbo 3800's.

Between alky injection and an IC- I'd rather go with a real air to air IC. Sure its a pain to mount; but there is no liquid to run out, or pump to go bad, or specific tuning to do. It always works fine (well unless you hit a tree or something and break it).

Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM

The twin charge kit that ZZP sells is from what I know is good to put your stock car into the 10's (or something close). If you have a 3.4 pulley then you might see 9's.
I hate to say it, but just the twin charge kit and a 3.4" pulley running 9's... no way. 9's and 10's are FAR harder than it may seem, especially in these FWD cars.

you can drive your car on the road with no major problems.
Just like a regular TC or SC setup, there is nothing special about it. However, I bet if you do make the power to run 9's at the strip, you won't be daily driving it with 'no major problems'.

With a pure turbo setup, depending on turbo size, you will have to change your torque converter to more of a racing setup. Personally since I want the Monte to be a street mostly and strip for fun car I will be more serious bout this setup later.

About the setup from what I understand...the supercharger gives you power off the line (aka no turbo lag) then after that the supercharger blows off boost and the turbo takes over. I hope this helps.
Have you ever rode in a turbo 3800 car? Unless you put some stupid massive turbo on there, and don't opt for a BB option- turbo lag is a bunch of BS.

Any of the normal turbo kits don't have this crazy massive turbo lag that you're thinking of. Heck, since you're talking about street cars so much- even a big turbo setup with full supporting mods has enough power to easily roast the tires all over in 1st, so getting full boost a second earlier wouldn't help there anyways.

Also, if you're talking about even a 10 second setup, why would you not change the converter? That makes no sense at all- you're going to have to get a fully built trans anyways, why leave a stock converter in there?

Even for a normal twin charge setup with basic mods, you're still going to likely upgrade the trans a bit- why force yourself to stay with the stock converter- especially if you plan to go to the track with slicks (needed for 9s/10s anyways).

Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

it's prob is a waste of money to twin charged to some but i look at it as a different set up that not many people done it. it's very functional and i think with good tuning and modification twin charged is just as good as single turbo setup. the guy ran a 11.5 @ 125 i think that's pretty good!!

Quick Reply: twin charging