Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo LS7 SS : )

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't find the link! Am i missing it right in front of me?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cully77
I can't find the link! Am i missing it right in front of me?

Hi Scott, sorry the link was corrupted & Deleted.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey guys, alot of intense and high energy input, I really appreciate that. Have done alot of research about a years worth before I even started this project. I have alot of experience with metalurgy and the physics of a transmission and I do know that the 4T65E-HD is a very weak point. What I do know is exactly what steel was used in the production of this transmission and the fabrication processes used to make all the parts. What I have done is replace any one part in it's original configuration with aerospace type steel and eliminated the weak points of stamped parts and made them out of one piece. In some cases my parts are probably as much as 10 to 20 times stronger than even hardened original parts. In addition my replaced parts have been Ammonia Nitrided to wear that much better. My splined parts are now EDM'd instead of rolled for more precision which will result in better fitment and wear. My axles have been replaced with heat treated high tensile material and can easily handle my HP level. The weak point in my trans are the friction discs. We have replaced them with upgraded race versions but my guess is they will still fail.. So I have another trans on the shelf as a back up 'cause more than likely I will need it as you all very well know. As far as traction goes I really have no intention on going crazy on the street but will be riding on P265/40R x 18's drag radials on the front for traction. They fit perfectly in the wheel well on my 7" rims I had widened to 8-1/2" with 3/4" adaptors and ARP studs on the rotor and adaptors. Kidspace can refer you to my link - there are about 100 pix now up on the progress of my build. Thanks

By the way does anyone know how much boost a stock two piece composite intake manifold can take before bursting? I have been told 15 lbs max - can anyone verify this? Thanks again.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:25 PM

So you went through and custom remade every part inside the trans?

Why not just stick a 4t80 in there instead?

Which chain are you planning to use?

Props to you if you can get it to work- I just think that if even the most hardcore 3800/4t65 race shops have to frequently rebuild theirs due to failures, and you're running more weight and more power that you're gonna have a tough time with it.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:23 AM
15 Year Member

Not every part was remade - only those that were faced with increased stresses that the metal could not take. Each part in the trans is made into a specific configuration from some type of steel with each being able to handle different stresses. Those that could not handle more stress were remade and replaced. What was determined was what stresses could actually be applied to each part and was that stress more or less than that which would be applied during actual use. Then each part's make up was examined and it was then determined what type of steel and treatment should be used for that particular part and from that information parts were either remade, treated or left as is. All parts were subjected to impact, metalurgical and tensile testing.

An example of what I did would be the fourth gear clutch assy. This part hardened from I think either Intense or ZZ can be purchased for about $100.00. The best they can do is hardened and increase the life of the splined end. But it is still a three piece pressed piece of low quality sheet metal with a low grade bearing sleeve. Still a piece of junk that even with it's enhancement will fail. My fourth gear clutch assy is a one piece precision machined part of Ammonia Nitrided pre hardened 4100 series aircraft quality forging with 5x the strength and probably an infinite amount more wear resistance. This part alone cost $2000.00 to make.

The 4T80 trans was an option and tried. It is physically too big to fit in the confines of the engine bay as it exists without actually altering the structural framework of the car and I did not want to do that. The engine bay dimensions are very tight and the LS4 block and 4T65E HD trans fit just barely with little room to spare. There was no added space for the 4T80 - and I tried.

My chain is 1.125" wide. I forgot what the pitch was. New gears are being used for this chain.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:52 PM

all i got to say for a trans is GM Performance race 4t65E HD handels up to 1600 H.P

Old 07-04-2009, 08:17 PM

There was no added space for the 4T80 - and I tried.
I forgot about the much bigger engine- the guy I was thinking about that did it in a wbody had a 3800.

My chain is 1.125" wide.
Interesting- is it a custom chain/sprockets? I always thought the biggest was the 1" GMR chain- I bet a lot of guys on clubgp would be very interested in a bigger chain set, espcially as the GMR sets that are out there get used and destroyed.

I'm sure the same will go for some of your other parts too if you manage to get this thing to hold together for some mileage and WOT launches.

You oughtta post up a full list of all the stuff you end up doing to it, I just think it would be interesting to see.

I guess my only other real question is, if you're spending so much money on the engine and transmission, how come you didn't do a RWD conversion as well?

all i got to say for a trans is GM Performance race 4t65E HD handels up to 1600 H.P
As I posted above, its an apples and oranges comparison with that transmission and rating. They are using it in a car that I bet is lighter than any of our wbody drag cars even, maybe even half of what one of our full dressed street cars would weigh. Secondly, that tranny is not built to drive around on the street doing 3-1 kickdowns, and various other things and last for any decent amount of time- it was made specifically for 1/4 mile racing. Lastly, they state in the build guide that they did other modifications not listed on that sheet.

If it was really that easy to build a 4t65 to handle 1600 hp, then why do we have so many hardcore turbo 3800 setups demodding shortly after due to the transmissions not holding up? These guys are dropping $4-5k on the most built trannys from the biggest 3800 racing teams, and they're still coming apart with any decent track usage. About the only one I've seen hold up well is in the extremely lightened zzp car, and even they planned to pull the tranny periodically to refresh it.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:55 PM
15 Year Member

Eventually I will get to the point where all the upgrades I do I can list and talk intelligently about once the project is complete. As far as the RWD conversion goes - that is a distinct possibility in the future. I really want a FWD car for now but have already started some research on a RWD. I probably will take this car, take the body off and build a RWD frame that this body can sit on. I will use the same motor and just adapt it to Longitudinal transmission which is real easy to do and set the frame up of course for a differential. But that is all down the line a bit for now, Just some thoughts currently. Will advise you on the chain set. It is not necessarily custom in the sense it is not one of a kind but it is not a readily available set off the shelf. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM

I was just asking about the chain because the biggest off the shelf we have available now is the GMR 1" chain-the one they use in that drag trans (which is now discontinued- so everyone will eventually have go back to the 7/8" or 15/16" which are both considerably weaker). Not to mention, I've still heard of 2 failures with the 1" chain on pretty hardcore setups- so if you've found something that is close to a bolt on option that is stronger than the GMR 1", and is going to still be made- I bet the community would have a huge interest in that.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM

yeah i guess the W-body is a heavy car . makes it hard to get a good trans to hold up.
as all gm fwd trans are problematic.

Quick Reply: Turbo LS7 SS : )