Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tuners: Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tuners: Which one?

I'm thinking it's time to buy a tuner. Which one? Why? I have a laptop.
Decisions.
Decisions.
Decisions.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Default RE: Tuners: Which one?

Wayne

HPTuners is the only way to go at this point. For 3 reasons

1- They are being sold at 3800 performance, wbodystore, even PFYC is working on selling it.

2- They are adaptive to vehicles of the future, and should you get a new monte down the road, if and when they come back from GM, you will be able to tune that as well. In addition to being able to be used on almost all GM vehicles with just the purchase of more credits (Through their website)

3- They have an excellent website with awesome support and great advice and tips.

Any more questions might be directed at Dan (04Intimidator)

He is in the process of tuning his, as he has the HP Tuners pro, but standard should suffice for most of us. He got pro because it was cheap, as he got it used.

Regardless, $499 for someone like us to be able to tune our car to make it go alot faster and better mileage is worth it

Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 PM

check out this post...
https://montecarloforum.com/m_51226/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 PM

Here is a quick summary from another post I did. I went with the HP Tuners as I will be able to use it with other vehicles I own and may purchase in the future. IfI bought the DHP I could do my car... and well that is about it. I can work on my Trailblazer with this one and if I get a new truck or car in the future I can pay $100 to get the tune open where I would have to purchase another tuner to use on a different vehicle.

Finally got my answer from DHP and found out they don't lock their PCM's anymore so I can reprogram it.

As for choice, seriously the only 2 to go with is DHP Powrtuner or HP Tuners.

More people have the DHP tuner because of the cost $419 and it does ALOT of stuff. The big negative is it is restricted to 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8 engines and their similar counterparts. They also have a pretty good forum, but I have yet to receive an email back from them... in fact 2 of their email addresses don't work anymore. It also sounds like the owners have full time jobs and do this on the side.
http://65.109.52.43/home_index.htm

The HP Tuners costs more $500 but does the same stuff but also has graphing, quicker read/writes,supports an azzload of vehicles and emails are usually responded to within hours. If you want to use it on another GM car you usually have to pay $100 but then that car is wide open to tune. You can tune any of the vehicles with them as it is open license and sell your tunes to others if you are so inclined. This is the one I plan to order in 2 weeks short of any emergency funding issues. It also seems more and more people on ClubGP are going this route as well as they claim the scanner is better.
http://www.hptuners.com/