Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmisson Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM

If you are really cheap and/or lazy you can always siphon through the dipstick tube.
It works better on some cars than others, im not sure how effective it works on montes.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

First thing I would recommend is get the Haynes Chevy 95 to 05 Lumina, Monte Carlos and Impala manual. The procedure is spelled out for you and it comes in handy for any job you are doing on the car. And you also have your Fellow Members of MCF to help.
If you run the front of the car up on Ramps, you get more fluid out, but still not All the fluid. You fluid should be Pink. If it is Brown or Black, or have metal filings in the fluid, you have problems I the Trans and you will Need to take it to a pro!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Depending on the brand $6-$12 each quart

Old 10-18-2015, 05:52 AM

no need to be a dick about this! everyone is not a mechanic, u know!

Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM

the quart will be about 7 to 9. reason why is to have the extra bottle on hand. when I dropped my pan and changed the filter I had it on jack stands. I let it sit for a while to let all the fluid come out of the trans. the only fluid that would still be in the transmission would be in the torque converter. the filter can sort what might be floating in there. I ended up putting 9 in because I took off the trans line off of the radiator and had it drain so that took about I think two. every thing is good. with the level on the stick. 7 should be the most but 8 may be the most. I pretty much let it drain for at least a few hours. I didn't have any where to go and I am a stickler on making sure it gets done completely right. the gasket on my 07 I had to replace because it came off in parts so I was glad that I got a new one with a filter. so figure about 60 minimum to 70 compared to a rebuild. so I am happy it is a ten mm bolts holding the pan on so take your time. taking it off and putting it on. the gasket will be a little negotiating to put the pan on

Old 10-22-2016, 05:18 AM

plus I forgotten there is a aftermarket pan that has a drain bolt on it. so the next time you would do the change it would make it a lot easier in a way as in not making a mess. considering the stock one that has no drain plug I put one on so the next time I do my change it would make it easier to do on not making a mess. a lot of people who think about doing a trans pan drop and filter change kind of cringe on how much it makes a mess. but pizza boxes or boxes that you can get at office depot can help on containing the mess to a minimum. the filter is what most don't really think about. because how often do you change your oil filter doing the oil change all the time. it is a satisfaction on knowing that there is a new filter in there as well as some thing that was there is out of there that could cause a plausible flow issue if it gets to dirty. pinkish red is not really a bad thing if you drop the pan and change the filter to try to get the bulk of the trans fluid out and the filter out at the same time. what most start to think is the what ifs. but the only way to help it out is don't worry it is going to be fine as long as it gets done. prolonging the life of a 4t65e is actually a good thing. also don't worry because you know the satisfaction of knowing it is done and majority of the fluid is changed out to save the life of the trans and keeping it on the road to drive

Old 10-22-2016, 09:16 AM

One trick I will add when I do on a pan drop on my vehicles is that:

I disconnect the return line on the transmission and put that to a container. Start the vehicle for a very brief time and check what came out. I might do this a few times until the fluid is clean - add fluid while doing this as well if you'd like. Just an easy way to change out more fluid.