Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Question Transmission Pan Gasket

Hey guys I going to change my tranny fluid this weekend and was looking for some info on the gasket. When I search on rockauto I get 2 option. 1st design 6mm bolts or 2nd design 8mm bolts. Not sure which I have but I'm assuming 2nd design. Also they have a package by Wix that has the filter and the pan gasket together. The gasket looks like its a cork one should I get this? Wix 58837 Automatic Transmission Filter Kit Thanks

Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You may want to check at a real auto parts website (Autozone, Advance, etc) and see if they give you the correct size you need. I don't know of any differences in the bolts of these transmission pans, I'd think they would all be the same.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a Haynes manual but it doesn't have the bolt specs that I can see?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Maybe it's because they had 2 different engines available. I'm not sure what one you'll need tho.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Normally when I get a trans filter, it comes with the gasket. Typically you just need to know how many bolts hold the pan. That's odd they wanna know the size of the bolt...

Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
You may want to check at a real auto parts website (Autozone, Advance, etc) and see if they give you the correct size you need. I don't know of any differences in the bolts of these transmission pans, I'd think they would all be the same.
+1. You should be able to get what you need at any auto parts store. And I've never had to identify the size of the bolts - weird.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Yeah I found it strange too. I have never heard of that before. I just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas, it didn't even have any spec that I could find in the FSM. I suppose I'll just get it from my local auto parts store and exchange it if it doesn't fit.

Also what are your opinions on a full fluid change or just empty the pan and refill a few times over a few weeks. And should I run some Seafoam Trans tune for a few days first?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 AM

I thought all the bolts were 10mm ...

Old 03-01-2012, 06:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rellsun
Also what are your opinions on a full fluid change or just empty the pan and refill a few times over a few weeks. And should I run some Seafoam Trans tune for a few days first?
If you are doing this just for good maintenance, just drop the pan, change the fluid and filter. No need to follow up in a few weeks, as you did what was needed (unless you wanted to throw more money and time at it).

Now, if you are trying to solve a problem condition believed to be a result of bad fluid, then you may need to pan drop a couple of times.

I am NOT a fan of the transmission fluid flush. I feel that is aggressive on a transmission and that's where you might run into problems.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rellsun
Also what are your opinions on a full fluid change or just empty the pan and refill a few times over a few weeks.
Just drop the pan then refill. Multiple times won't hurt anything but probably isn't necessary. I refresh the trans fluid/filter in our Monte every 30K miles.

Quick Reply: Transmission Pan Gasket