Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission issue! Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013 | 01:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

The bump is probably the pressure control solenoid in the tranny. They're not hard to change, just a PITA to get there.

Old 05-18-2013 | 07:31 PM
|
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

imma just let aamco do that if need be, im hoping that this fluid change will fix the problem tho

Old 05-18-2013 | 07:49 PM

I have a 2004 Dale Jr. edition MC and my tranny is making a whinning noise only in park and reverse real annoying and also leaking fluid extremely bad any suggestions on what to do? Also the S/C is starting to act real crazy like the gauge is going up and down and wont allow me to drive it while its doing that.

Old 05-18-2013 | 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by zpatte89
I have a 2004 Dale Jr. edition MC and my tranny is making a whinning noise only in park and reverse real annoying and also leaking fluid extremely bad any suggestions on what to do? Also the S/C is starting to act real crazy like the gauge is going up and down and wont allow me to drive it while its doing that.
Welcome to the forum, to be honest you should start your own thread on this so more members can see your request for assistance and offer suggestions. This is like on the back page of another guys thread and members may no longer chime in on this topic and therefore not see your question. Just wanted to let you know so you could get more input from members. Cool to have another Dale Jr. car on here.

Sounds as if the whining is from being low on fluid, which if you don't get the leaks stopped will eventually cost you to lose the tranny. You need to try and determie why the leaks are occuring. Are they from loose line fittings, that would be somewhat inexpensive of a fix if they were the culprit. Or is an axle popped out and the O-ring is lettting oil seep past. Might be relatively simple, so if you have a friend with some ramps or a few jack stands and you can get your self a strong flashlight, start trying to see why it is leaking.

When whining noise from automatic transmission is produced this is an indication of a serious transmission problems occurring inside. Most transmission noise problems are due to a VERY low A/T fluid inside the transmission. However, when the automatic transmission fluid is within the normal level, then expect a very serious problem that cause growling noise such as damage or worn out transmission components.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 05-18-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2013 | 09:47 PM
|
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Welcome to the forum, to be honest you should start your own thread on this so more members can see your request for assistance and offer suggestions. This is like on the back page of another guys thread and members may no longer chime in on this topic and therefore not see your question. Just wanted to let you know so you could get more input from members. Cool to have another Dale Jr. car on here.

Sounds as if the whining is from being low on fluid, which if you don't get the leaks stopped will eventually cost you to lose the tranny. You need to try and determie why the leaks are occuring. Are they from loose line fittings, that would be somewhat inexpensive of a fix if they were the culprit. Or is an axle popped out and the O-ring is lettting oil seep past. Might be relatively simple, so if you have a friend with some ramps or a few jack stands and you can get your self a strong flashlight, start trying to see why it is leaking.

When whining noise from automatic transmission is produced this is an indication of a serious transmission problems occurring inside. Most transmission noise problems are due to a VERY low A/T fluid inside the transmission. However, when the automatic transmission fluid is within the normal level, then expect a very serious problem that cause growling noise such as damage or worn out transmission components.

oooo then that is some more bad news for me, i hear that too from time to time but i heard our cars jus make a natural whining noise, something like a supercharger whine.... awww man

Old 05-18-2013 | 09:48 PM
|
10 Year Member

also what kind of tranny fluid does the SS 01 take without the supercharger dexron 4? and how many quarts?

Old 05-19-2013 | 07:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Dex III is what current standards were when the vehicle was manufactured, but some prefer to use Dex IV because they claim it helps to disapate heat better. You'll need approx. 7.5 quarts to refill after a pan drop/filter change.

Old 05-19-2013 | 07:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
UPDATE: i check the fluid today and it was a dirty color, didnt smell burnt or anything.
also it was a bit low so i added a quart. i checked a while later and it was still dirty but more showed up on the stick, i noticed that it drove ok so far but it still does that bump feeling when shifting to the next gear from time to time. ALSO a while ago this was happening and was also obviously slipping but i added lucas trans fix (the thick looking tranny fluid) and after that it stopped slipping. Hopefully this info helps others with helping me
Sounds like theres a trans rebuild in your future real soon!
Generally around 80,000 plus miles trans issues start to show up with these transmissions.

Old 05-19-2013 | 09:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

I would buy and use Dexron VI, it is the very best for our transmissions and handling heat. It can be had for about the same cost as Dexron IV.

The fluid specification for Dexron-VI was introduced in 2005,and was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for model year 2006.

and GM now supports "ONLY" Dexron-VI fluids for use in their automatic transmissions.

These fluids are not regulated by GM.[4] Dexron VI is of a slightly lower viscosity when new compared to the prior Dexron fluids. The intent of the lighter viscosity is to gain an incremental improvement in fuel economy by lessening parasitic drag in the transmission. Since Dexron VI is not allowed to thin out (lower its viscosity) as much as Dexron IV

Old 05-19-2013 | 09:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I would buy and use Dexron VI, it is the very best for our transmissions and handling heat. It can be had for about the same cost as Dexron IV.

The fluid specification for Dexron-VI was introduced in 2005,and was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for model year 2006.

and GM now supports "ONLY" Dexron-VI fluids for use in their automatic transmissions.

These fluids are not regulated by GM.[4] Dexron VI is of a slightly lower viscosity when new compared to the prior Dexron fluids. The intent of the lighter viscosity is to gain an incremental improvement in fuel economy by lessening parasitic drag in the transmission. Since Dexron VI is not allowed to thin out (lower its viscosity) as much as Dexron IV
X2
Well said Greg!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission issue! Help please