Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission issue! Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Transmission issue! Help please

hey people, so my monte has a weird issue, sometimes after i been running the car for a while doing errands the tranny makes a noticeable bump when shifting up to the next gear. It doesnt seem to slip but it does this, and today it seemed like it was trying to shift but couldnt the RPMs was bouncing between 1-and 1 1/2. I right now its at 97050 and i was thinking about doing a tranny fluid change at 100k. should i do it sooner? as in asap? my main concern is that if i do this it will make the issue worse, please guys give me some pointers on what should i do. all comments are welcome here thanks again!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

First of all, if you haven't changed the tranny fluid before, I would definitely change that ASAP. Waiting another 3K won't change anything...but I'd certainly get a change done sooner than later.

Secondly, are you sure it's the transmission? The bouncing RPM's almost sound like a sputter to me...with the kind of mileage you have, I'd assume you have never replaced the spark plugs or wire? Maybe its the engine running rough, which is causing the tranny to want to shift, because the RPM's are surging. Just a thought.

It if was me, I'd start with a complete tune up...spark plugs, wires, clean your MAF and change your tranny fluid. See if that helps.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
First of all, if you haven't changed the tranny fluid before, I would definitely change that ASAP. Waiting another 3K won't change anything...but I'd certainly get a change done sooner than later.

Secondly, are you sure it's the transmission? The bouncing RPM's almost sound like a sputter to me...with the kind of mileage you have, I'd assume you have never replaced the spark plugs or wire? Maybe its the engine running rough, which is causing the tranny to want to shift, because the RPM's are surging. Just a thought.

It if was me, I'd start with a complete tune up...spark plugs, wires, clean your MAF and change your tranny fluid. See if that helps.

when i got the car at 89k thats the first thing i did was a tune up, i did all of that, spark plugs, o2, maf, etc. the only thing i didnt do was the tranny fluid

Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 AM

10 Year Member

Well then, I guess that's not it. LOL...Definitely try changing the fluid, that might help.

This could be the start of tranny issues.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member

Well then, I guess that's not it. LOL...Definitely try changing the fluid, that might help.

This could be the start of tranny issues.
im just worried that if i do this it will make things worse..... well i guess i now what im doing on my next day off

Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM

10 Year Member

Just do a pan drop and filter change. I think not doing anything will make it worse.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member

Just do a pan drop and filter change. I think not doing anything will make it worse.
true indeed

Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If there are no metal shavings in the fluid you may just need to replace solenoids (which is a big job for a novice)

Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
If there are no metal shavings in the fluid you may just need to replace solenoids (which is a big job for a novice)
yea, i wouldnt touch an intenal job for an engine/transmission. thats a job for aamco, im hoping once i do this fluid job things will be fixed.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member

UPDATE: i check the fluid today and it was a dirty color, didnt smell burnt or anything.
also it was a bit low so i added a quart. i checked a while later and it was still dirty but more showed up on the stick, i noticed that it drove ok so far but it still does that bump feeling when shifting to the next gear from time to time. ALSO a while ago this was happening and was also obviously slipping but i added lucas trans fix (the thick looking tranny fluid) and after that it stopped slipping. Hopefully this info helps others with helping me

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission issue! Help please