Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission Fluid Question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Transmission Fluid Question.

Hi all, I have a 2004 monte carlo ss na with 120720 miles on it. I bought the car this feburary and my mechanic did a ton of work on it. New pressure control solenoid, new seals in the transmission, new fluid and filter, more work which isn't important. My problem is I went to get the car an oil change yesterday, went to jiffy lube. And you know how they love to look over everything, whether you want them to or not. They checked the transmission fluid and its overfilled , not sure by how much possibly a 1/4 to a 1/2 a quart. Of course they try to sucker me into letting them service the transmission. Will it hurt the transmission to be overfilled? I can't call my mechanic because he went on vacation as of today until after the new year. When I got the car the transmission was not happy at all, it shifted into every gear like the solenoid was bad, over the time I've had it the transmission shifting has improved, last couple of days it feels like its new. As for the mechanic he is not a rookie, he is the head mechanic at merollis chevorlet. Is this a trick to attempt to help the transmission, or did he screw up and add to much? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

To my knowledge a little over filled (less then 1/4 a quart), not a big deal. Most dip-sticks have hash marks showing the acceptable fluid level. If the level falls into those hash marks, I would not worry about it.

Ultimately, if a shop did a service and did it wrong, you NEVER leave until a resolution has been reached. If THEY over filled the trans, it's their job to address the issue. Once you leave, they can claim there is no proof they overfilled it.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member

I checked it yesterday, and when its warm its past the max line, if you've looked at your transmission dipstick, there are a few bends over the max mark, its up to those few bends. Its been 3-4K miles since the transmission was serviced, not sure if it matters. Thanks for the help. My mechanic works at a chevy dealership, but works on clients cars after hours. I had no idea it was overfilled until they told me. Never shifted odd, as odd as it sounds the car shifts better now then it did when I got it.

Last edited by ndaguanno; 12-20-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

I wouldn't trust anything that a tech from Jiffy Lube tells you, they're probably dull enough to try and check the fluid level with the engine off.....

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member

I'll have to ask the mechanic when he gets back, maybe he knows a secret. I know it has to be over to some degree, I checked it cold a while ago and it was full when it was cold. And I know your supposed to check it hot. Just figured I would ask on here, I know members on here know about our cars.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member

At least the fluid is still pink and not burned that would suck.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member

Mine is up to where the second bend is in the dipstick, its a picture of a different car but I'm using this as a comparison. Obviously its over the hatch marks, to what degree I'm not sure.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

It's supposed to be IN the hash marks, not past them. And needs to be checked after its fully warmed up, which the car is running. If its still past the hash marks, it's over full. Period.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member

Alright thanks

Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Overfilled can cause the fluid to aerate. I would just pull the pan and refill (save old fluid). And quit going to goofy lube. They do more harm than good.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission Fluid Question.