Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission fluid and filter change 2004 SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Transmission fluid and filter change 2004 SS

This morning I changed the transmission fluid and filter, and upgraded with the ZZP shift kit. I also got a new gasket and Dorman pan with drain plug to make for easier changes in the future. I went with the Dextron VI fluid. Cheapest I could find was from ZZP around $24 for 4 quart container. I ordered 2 of those and the shift kit which includes the filter, seal and several shims that go on the accumulator piston rods. I also added some heavy duty neodymium magnets, two on the pan and two button sized ones on the filter to trap any metal fragments. Took about two hours to do everything and got stuck in a rainstorm but got it back together and running good ! Of course raining all day so was not able to test it very much, a drive around town in the rain had the traction control working!

Last edited by DAVESS2002; 09-04-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on the Fluid and Filter change! As long as you do regular changes, it should be all good.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DAVESS2002
This morning I changed the transmission fluid and filter, and upgraded with the ZZP shift kit. I also got a new gasket and Dorman pan with drain plug to make for easier changes in the future. I went with the Dextron VI fluid. Cheapest I could find was from ZZP around $24 for 4 quart container. I ordered 2 of those and the shift kit which includes the filter, seal and several shims that go on the accumulator piston rods. I also added some heavy duty neodymium magnets, two on the pan and two button sized ones on the filter to trap any metal fragments. Took about two hours to do everything and got stuck in a rainstorm but got it back together and running good ! Of course raining all day so was not able to test it very much, a drive around town in the rain had the traction control working!

How do you like the shift kit? A noticeable difference? How did you set the shims?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I used the recommended 2/4" inners and 1/2" on 1-2 and 3/4" on 2-3 but not very noticable, although it seems to shift quicker but there's no bang like on the shift kit in my old car...

Old 09-13-2017, 02:26 PM

Quick shifts are good, banging shifts are not so maybe it's better for tranny life.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DAVESS2002
Nice, don't see that you were doing a filter / fluid change and calling it a day. You did everything right. A pan with the drain plug, sweet, that is the only way to roll. DEX VI fluid, temperature is our tranny's enemy, VI handles it the best, awesome! Love the magnet concept, stopping filaments from being pulled back into the system. I epoxied (aluminum pan) a powerful magnet inside my trannys pan by the drain plug area and another big build did the same to his. Smart move, what will it hurt, nothing. As they say "A job worth doing is worth doing right".