Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission cooler install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i see your point as well. yes if you dont get the right cooler size and install it in a good place it can be worse than the factory cooler for sure. i also forgot to mention i dont drive mine in cold temps etc so for my fluid to warm up doesnt take long at all. if i were to drive it in the winter i would of probably kept the factory cooler functional as well.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My aftermarket tranny fluid cooler set-up still runs through the factory radiator cooler and then through 2 separate 4"h x 8.25"w 2"d Earl's fluid cooler's before entering the tranny. Temps tend to generally be 15 degree's cooler than radiator temp readings.

Also run an Earl's fluid cooler for the engine oil.

We also ran about 12lf 1/2" fuel line around the A/C condenser and then applied an insulation wrap to trap the coldness to assist chilling and cooling the fuel. Just have the a/c on, even on low, adjust the cabin temp as needed so it's not crazy cold.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

This is a 5 year old thread! I love revivals.

I never had a need for a transmission cooler. I think I did it because I was bored one weekend, but the car still has it.

I never thought about fuel cooling before. Need concept zippy

Old 11-01-2014, 08:59 PM

im trying to re leave the radiator of some duty, allowing it to focus coolant temps. if the cooler was mounted onto the front of the radiator wouldn't it still gather some warm up temps while warming up, but also benefit from being separate source of cooling during driving? im also capable of getting a pretty good sized cooler that will probably add a quart of fluid.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 05mcSS
im trying to re leave the radiator of some duty, allowing it to focus coolant temps. if the cooler was mounted onto the front of the radiator wouldn't it still gather some warm up temps while warming up, but also benefit from being separate source of cooling during driving? im also capable of getting a pretty good sized cooler that will probably add a quart of fluid.
Are you having altitude related overheating / cooling issues?

Generally the cooling system is optimized to efficiently handle the double duty. I mean why the concern to relieve the radiator of the tranny cooling, it's not really doing much more than if the tranny was not running fluid through it, as only a small section of the radiator cools the tranny fluid anyway.

Typically the fin passages can become clogged with bugs etc., use a fin cleaner that a/c shops use to clean residential cooling fins and that should open up the passage ways between the fins. Home Depot etc. carries this, think it is just a simple sodium bicarbonate.

Is your "air dam" under the chin of your car still in place? If this is missing, your not able to scoop up valuable cooling air.

You would want to typically mount it in front of the radiator, if not and you choose to mount it behind the radiator, you should get a larger cooler, and like Turbo Monte "John" and I use, the stacked plate style is the best performing one. I don't think having a front mounted cooler and NO tranny fluid going through the radiator you will get much help warming up the fluid, especially in the winter and at altitude like you have in some parts of Colorado.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 11-01-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
This is a 5 year old thread! I love revivals.

I never had a need for a transmission cooler. I think I did it because I was bored one weekend, but the car still has it.

I never thought about fuel cooling before. Need concept zippy
Concept JuniorCar? As to why I needed to do this fuel cooling? Or what is your question?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 05mcSS
If the idea is to reduce cooling load of the radiator by mounting a good sized trans cooler in front of it- then you really aren't helping it at all. Once the trans gets up to temp and starts shedding heat through the cooler, it's going to be pre-heating incoming air before it gets to engine radiator. The higher the air temp entering the engine radiator, the less temperature delta between the two mediums you're trying to exchange heat between (ie engine coolant and outside air) which means reduced efficiency.

I second Zippy's question- are you trying to do this because you're having cooling issues with the engine?

Old 11-02-2014, 04:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Sorry zippy, that was a typo. I meant NEAT concept. Not a question - I understand why fuel cooling. I hadn't heard of using the a/c condenser for this purpose before. Your fuel lines must hold an extra gallon of gas

Old 11-02-2014, 07:52 PM

while WOT on the interstate, my temps jump high! not overheating levels, but high enough for me to want to help it."heat kills transmissions" if i can get a pic of it i will. probably wont happen till Friday cause i get paid then lol. super charger sucks gas
the temps remain high for about 5 mins or till i return to low speeds for more than a few mins. which tells me the cooling systems works well under normal loads. but when it comes to speed it needs help. it may be altitude related but im unsure. i live at roughly 8000 ft above sea lvl"ill check that later"
i really think a cooler located in wheel well "with crafty modding" will help.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:57 PM

where is a great place to get cool air flow for an after market cooler? i plan on running it thru the rad cooler then aftermarket cooler. to take advantage of the rad heating in the cool but benefit from cooling during driving. i often have to drive in - 10 degree weather then 90+ weather so i need something capable of handling temp change

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler install question