Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans Fluid Leak At Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Trans Fluid Leak At Cooler

Good Evening MCF,

I have a leak that I don't know how to get to.
It's the Trans Fluid line @ the bottom of the trans Cooler on the Passenger side:

Under #1 in above photo!
Problem is it sits below the lip of the Cross Member that holds the Radiator.
I have Line Wrenches but because of how it sits I can't figure out how to get a wrench on the lone nut.
So how do I get to this nut?????

Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Good Evening MCF,

I have a leak that I don't know how to get to.
It's the Trans Fluid line @ the bottom of the trans Cooler on the Passenger side:

Under #1 in above photo!
Problem is it sits below the lip of the Cross Member that holds the Radiator.
I have Line Wrenches but because of how it sits I can't figure out how to get a wrench on the lone nut.
So how do I get to this nut?????
JC:
Sadly you may just have to raise the radiator enuff to get to it... Possibly by trying to partially remove the radiator/loosen mounts etc....
But this is just a guess.
With my 1999 the lines are easily accessable..

Hopefully someone will chime in with a much better/easier idea.
Good Luck
Be sure to fill us in on how you did it once you get it finished.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it's like my '04, the top and bottom connections has a fitting, but the line is "clipped" into the fitting. There is a plastic "snap ring" you pop/slide forward (use a small flat head screw driver. After that, use a pic to pop the retaining clip out. Once out, pull the line out of the fitting.
GM tells you not to re-use the clip in the fitting, I learned after I had to pull my lines for my Monte. I found you can re-use those clips so long as you don't damage/bend them.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks David, I'm hoping for an easier solution. They make these cars hard for use but someone, I'll bet, has found an easier way to get to it. if you try to look at it from the top, there's a lot of STUFF in the way!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM

10 Year Member

JC, I looked at the shop book for your '02, removal of the trans lines do not require the use of a wrench. The info below is word for word from the shop book.
  1. Pull the plastic cap back from the quick connect fitting and down along the cooler line about 5 cm (2 in).
  2. Using a bent-tip screwdriver, pull on one of the open ends of the retaining ring in order to rotate the retaining ring around the quick connect fitting until the retaining ring is out of position and can be completely removed.
  3. Remove the retaining ring from the quick connect fitting.
  4. Discard the retaining ring.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member

So when the retaining ring goes bad, the hose leaks?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 AM

10 Year Member

The metal line slides into a metal fitting, the line is held into the fitting with a metal clip (looks like an over glorified paper clip) and then a plastic retaining ring is snapped over the retaining clip.

I suppose with the retaining clip is rusting and weakens, it could allow the line to move a little and possibly leak some.

When I tore everything apart to replace my condenser, I'm trying to remember if I had to pull the fans out first before the lines. Either way, it was not tough on my '04 to get the trans lines out. I suppose once the trans lines are out, you could use a ratchet to take the fitting out of the radiator.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Without the retaining clip, the pressure from the fluid will blow the line out and you will have fluid everywhere

Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 AM

This is helpful even for my 98, the upper line on mine has a small leak. is it part no 800-605 at Autozone?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:16 PM

Today, I just did this, I spent my day under the car, 05 Monte SS; I have a bad fitting into the radiator it needs replacement. But, while I was under there the others are right. But first you need to get under the car and remove the plastic air dam about 5-6 bolts it will give you a better view. You need a light also. And I popped the clip with a bent tip screwdriver, pulled out the line and used a 3/4" deep socket around the fitting and removed it. But, if you are just replacing a line; the clip is all that has to come off. I pulled the fitting to put the clip back on, then to put the fitting back in. Made getting the clip on much easier. But, sad to say my fitting has broken loose from the radiator and I am in need to replace the entire unit. Pisses me off too....over some lousy fitting.