Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default tranny issue

new to the forum im looking for a monte carlo to start a build on i had one before but sold it for financial reasons.im a student working towards a degree in body collision ive been working on cars for a few years now so i wouldnt say im a beginner but wouldnt say im a pro.im looking to pick up something very cheap that i can work on.

i found this car the owner will take $400 they just want it gone but the issue is the owner says the transmission is acting up making the car jump and not accelerate over 30 mph "at TIMES".

Monte Carlo ls

not a big issue to me the problem is i live in Lansing Mi the car is in Detroit MI im about 70-80 miles away(hour drive) they said they wouldnt recommend me putting it on the highway but i dont have a dolly or a way to tow it back

can someone tell me if this trans is mostly shot or is it possible to get this going on the highway?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Did they tell you if it was throwing a code of any kind?

There is a good chance it is either the pressure control solenoid, which causes the tranny to shift rather hard at times as it sticks and builds up pressure in the lines. Or the torque converter, similar issues but it usually either locks up in a gear or takes forever to shift.

There is also a chance the tranny fluid is low, or in desperate need of a fluid change. These cars are notorious for tranny issues but can be fixed if you know what your doing. A soft rebuild of the tranny usually runs around $700 - 1000 and a full rebuild is approx $1800 - 2600 depending on what shop you take it too and what all is actually needed. If you are tearing it down I would recommend replacing the PCS as it is going to act up eventually. And to be honest for the price of a full rebuild, I personally would buy a used tranny from a junk yard and save some money and just install the used tranny, pending you are getting some kind of a warranty with it, and most wreckers will offer a warranty of sorts, if this buys you a few years of worry free driving, I would weigh the pros and cons of both and factor how long you plan to actually own the car and what all you want to do with it. For example if you are thinking of adding a turbo or supercharger you may want to spend the extra money on a full rebuild as it will take more abuse with the addition of the turbo or supercharger, but if you are just using as a daily driver and "enjoying the ride" so to speak then I would buy a used tranny.

Keep in mind those are just my opinions and I am not always the sharpest knife in the drawer

Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Oh and Welcome to the forum

Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
Oh and Welcome to the forum
Hey thanks and thanks for the info ill check into that im not really gonna worry about replacing it or rebuilding right now im just trying to make sure i can get it home first. i didnt wanna ask too many question through text you know how some people are either dishonest or just car illiterate.