Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tranny Issue-03' Monte SS (code P1811)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Default Tranny Issue-03' Monte SS (code P1811)

Hello all, I'm new here...

Lately my Monte has been having issues when accelerating.

It's a 2003 SS 3800 Cyl. V6

About 135xxx miles

This problem I'm having is usually occurring around 50 mph, or a specific gear shift, I am experiencing (randomly-but usually after sitting out in the cold) a delay in the acceleration and the rpm is shooting up.

Brought it to my mechanic, we got a code (I'll post it later) and decided the best thing to start off with was a tranny fluid & filter replacement. The problem is he doesn't work on transmission and is directing me to a shop a ways away from my city. The car still seems to be experiencing this problem, it always seems to be around 47 mph, just before 50.

The code is coming up as DTC P1811

If anyone could suggest to me what this may be, or knows codes, it would be greatly appreciated so I can research into pricing and such. I like to know whats going on with my car before I ship it off to a shop, transmission has had no work this far

Thank you

-Jamie

Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Jamie - Welcome to the forum.

The most common cause for setting the P1811 code is a malfunctioning pressure control solenoid. A fluid and filter change might help, but more than likely the solenoid will need to be replaced.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

^What he said

Hopefully it's just the solenoid. I've heard of people having that code and replacing the solenoid, but it not fixing the issue. In which case you'd need another tranny or a transmission rebuild.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 AM

Thank you both very much! And I sure hope it's just that, I'm going to look it up right now! Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM

I've found some general estimates on websites of how much the part might cost, but does anyone have an idea what labor for this (replacing the solenoid) costs at a shop?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It will cost a lot at a dealership (probably a grand at least). You'd be lucky to find someone to do it for less than 300 bucks - and that's getting a steal of a deal. The cradle has to be dropped and the transmission side cover removed, from there it's just changing the solenoid. I had the same code P1811, pulled the engine & trans, changed all 4 solenoids in the tranny. Now my transmission shifts smoothly once again.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Yikes, I know I'm not going to a dealership (I never go there anymore) but my mechanic doesn't do tranny's - he's recommending a shop out by him that does transmissions.

And wow, I'm learning already(thanks guys)! There are 4 solenoids, so would I have to get them all changed to fix this problem or just one? (If that's what the problem is), and is this going to just keep getting worse as time goes on?

I'd really like to fix it so I'm not causing other damage, but that price is steep! Thanks for the answer though, puts into perspective how much I need to save and such!

Thank you thank you, its much nicer getting this info from monte lovers than calling up some shop. I like to know what I'm dealing with before I just hand over my baby!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Google:

OBD2 Code PP1811
There is a wealth of discussion.
From Solenoid replacement to 2nd Gear replacement.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 AM

I went to a tranny shop that was owned and ran by a friend of family, I told him the code and he said the transmission needs to be rebuilt. It's begin to slip worse and worse, and tonight it got bad enough that I thought it would finally break down Time to bring it in...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

At 135K, experiencing slipping like you are describing, I am not surprised at all that a full rebuild is needed. It's not uncommon for the transmission in these cars to need replacing/ rebuild at some point over 100K.

That being said, do a tranny rebuild, you should get a lot more life from your Monte. The 3.8L is a great engine and known for getting very high mileage.

Quick Reply: Tranny Issue-03' Monte SS (code P1811)