Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Top swap vs zzp L36 S/C kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
Lemme just say this, since my wife gave me the go ahead on this i've felt like a kid in a candy store!
I've compiled a list thats gonna mate up with this top swap.

IS2 heads
IS3 cam
Intense pcm (if i decide against getting one from milzy w/TS)
60 lb/hr injectors
A new pump
180 t stat
Zzp's short stack IC
Wizaired intake
Speed daddy headers
And ill find some one to do my exhaust
And a new TEP street/strip tranny.

With a goal of wanting to run 12's, is this gonna do it?
What size belt could i run with this setup?

Go with Cold Air Inductions CAI. Its a better built CAI and they are our sponsor.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Ok, well what *pretuned pcm should i be looking at?
Im not sure if'll be able to find a decent tuner around. I ended up going to that shop near the house, and not a single one had ever heard of a "top swap" and all they did was bad mouth the motor saying it wouldnt handle, and that it would blow.

I mentioned there were folks doing 500whp on the stock bttm end but they werent hearing any of it.

I may not go as crazy as original, maybe stock heads with an xp cam with valves and springs. Still havent made up my mind.

Anyone got info on the wbodystore's stage 2 ic? I saw it was cheaper than zzp's, but thats before you get their modified fuel rails and all that crap. After that it was same $.

Also any word on their topswap kit? It was 100 bucks cheaper than milzy.?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just get a top end from a blown L67. You should be able to find them pretty easily. And with the engine blown, it'll be cheap. You need to make sure there's no valvetrain damage though. As far as PCM's are concerned, I trust ZZP. I've been going to them for all of my tunes for almost 6 years now and have been VERY pleased every time with the results.

Don't worry about your local shop. Most people look at 3800's like mine and say, you're just asking for it to blow. They've been saying that ever since I started modifying my Monte 6 years ago and I've been boosted for over 2 years now with no signs of a problem. Push your engine to the limit, and then if you have to buy another block, so be it. They're a dime a dozen.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM

I like your attitude sir!
Glad to hear something good about zzp and their tuning.
I've called several junkyards locally, alotta grandprix's. I've only found two gtp's, one was missing the motor, and the other one the guy wanted 1700 for the motor and he didnt want to part it out. The search continues!