Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Top end speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Top end speed

Well, I Have goodyear sport performance tires brand new so my gripping isnt the issue. The car felt smooth at 135 but i didnt wanna push it too far without knowledge on top end 3400 motor. I dont have any serious tuning because Im having big trouble with dhp powrtuner thus far but I do have an upgraded PCM which elminates the 107 cut off. I do have performance level brakes as well (thanks for the stopping concern) but my tranny is stock. I tell you the best part was when the Subaru WRX next to me cut off at 120 and I kept going, does anyone know of a better feeling than winning a race?? Because i sure as hell dont and still get pumped up when I win. Nonetheless, thanks for all the feedback everybody, keeps my un-educated *** atleast sounding like I know what I am doing

Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 PM

thinking of the brakes... has anyone ever tried seeing how well these cars do braking from topspeed to 0? i tried this on my since sold 89iroc camaro, got it up to 130-135ish and got on em hard, the car slowed to 110 very nicely, but the brakes were fading fast by 100. by 90-95 i could stand on the pedal and it didnt make much difference, shifting into 3rd gear then made it slow faster than the brakes. figuring this out put a damper in my old driving way too fast ways, in cars anyway...

but i thought, maybe that was then and this is now, it was an 89 and the platform came out in 82, maybe things are better now.

so anyone tried it? p.s. dont break yourself tring it.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 PM

i should clarify to on this some also.
I ran my car at Nuremburg. and i had to have the right tires for this so i had Z rated tires on it.
Also i did do the whole brake thing as you did also and foud out tha tthe big brake upgrade for the 6th gen makes a HUGE DIFFRENCE ON OUR CARS!!
Also the gearing is the stock gears but i have it reprogrammed and opend it wide open at this time.
But since then and since i got back to the states i have lowerd my top speed back to 100MPH. The reason for this is becuse i needed to slow down other wise i would havew a few safty awards right now =)
But i do agree with all that is said about the safty issues . BE DAMED CAREFUL WHEN DOING IT!!! PLEASE!!! I want to see yall back here in one peice with a monte in tip top shape also.

And one other thing on a side note.
Make sure you go over the car before and also after you do any attemps on speed. the last thing you need is to have something go wrong at that speed.

mine was great till it hit about 125MPH then it started to get loser but after 140MPH it was real lose and floated a bit more then i felt comfortabel with it.

but yes the cars are capabel of doing the speedo and also over it.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 PM

when i first got my car the best it would do with the stock setup was 115 it just had no power left in it.
then with my intake, downpipe, and cat-back, it flew right past 115 and hit 125 and slowed back down because of the speed limiter

about the brakes one time i race a friend up to 105 and then needed to brake hard (road turned) and it gripped good from about 105 to 80 but then it felt like nothing was happening.
then when i got my drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads i have never had any brake problems at all they feel alot better the entire time braking

Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

It's nice to have the 04. The Goodyear RSA's are Z rated (255 mph) =D

To be honest though it is the worst tire I have ever owned. It isn't worth squat in rain or snow but is supposed to be an all season high performance tire.

Going with Goodyear Triple Treds on my new set.
I hated my RSAs, though I did fine with them at the track, and nailed many 2.0 60 footers... once they wear a little, they're no more good though. Terrible in the rain. Since last spring, I've been on Michelin Pilot A/S... very nice rubber.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 AM

my top end speed in my supercharged ss is only 112 mph. i always hit it on the highway real fast. should have been faster if it is a supercharged.