Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

is there such thing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default is there such thing?

is there such a thing as a oxygen injector. im looking for something with minimal gain. what is "cry02"? i hear you all talk about it and i have no idea what it is(embarassingly)

Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 AM

is there such a thing as a oxygen injector. im looking for something with minimal gain.
Nitrous oxide is as close as you get. Raw oxygen is VERY dangerous to store and use (look at the shuttle explosion). Not to mention when liquid nitrous turns to gas, it absorbs heat- cooling off the air around it.

Oxygen injection has been tried before in WWII, the problem is heat control. Think how much oxygen is in air- say roughly 20%, then think how much oxygen is in nitrous oxide- about 30%. With pure oxygen, you have 100% oxygen- so assuming you inject fuel to match, you can get an incredibly hot burn temperature. I found this on the internet:

Thus, for virtually any hydrocarbons, the maximum flame temperature, starting at ambient temperature and using pure oxygen, is approximately 3,000°C.
3000 C is 5432 F. Cast iron (your block) melts about 2200F, and aluminum (your pistons) melt at about 1200F. Even with ceramic coatings- how are you going to contain that kind of heat? Now obviously the case I'm considering here is where you block off your air intake and run your engine off of straight oxygen and fuel. Obviously a person wanting to use oxygen injection would still run a normal air intake to dilute the mixture coming in, and just run a very small injection of O2- but you'd be talking an extremely small injection- you have to figure you're talking something with about 5 times the power (assuming you match fuel) than air. Also consider that you piston's normal operating temperature is about 550-600 F at the crown, and your normal exhaust gas temperatures are 1200 F, so you don't have a lot of room to play as far as adding gobs of extra heat.

That is why they went to nitrous in WWII for injection instead- almost 2/3 of nitrous is inert gas- so you don't have to inject as much fuel, which means you don't make as much power, which means its much easier to manage heat in the engine.

Basically, if you want a minimal gain- do other engine mods, ask some of these 60* guys what your next mod should be, and tell them your current mods (make a new thread maybe?)- and they should be able to tell you what to do next. Or if you want to inject something, do nitrous; but IMO if you're going to waste your time with anything under a 50 shot- do engine mods instead.

If you want one more example- think of an oxygen lance- they inject pure oxygen through carbon (or other metal) rod- and burn after being ignited- these things are supposed to get hot enough to burn through any material on earth:

http://www.krl.com.au/whatisalance.htm

That site claims 4000 C with a sustained burn, which is 7232 F, I can't possibly imagine this stuff being used controlably in an engine, even with the cooling ability of the incoming air on every other cycle.

what is "cry02"? i hear you all talk about it and i have no idea what it is(embarassingly)
Cry O2 is a CO2 system used for cooling things off. This kind of system does not get injected into the engine (think of CO2 fire extinguishers- and the fact that combustion produces CO2)- it is simply used to either blow on an intercooler, blow through a metal bulb in the intake, or blow through a fuel rail cooler.

You can see their products here:

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...tem-components

Fuel chiller:

Air intake chiller:

A-A intercooler chiller:

Really you've got to be careful with doing a CO2 setup- other than an intercooler sprayer, I don't see anything on there that I think would be worth all the added weight. You're adding an easy 20-40 pounds of wiring, hoses, fittings, a tank, etc- are you gaining enough power to at least make that up (hopefully and then some)? Mine opinion on these is you have all the hassle of a nitrous system with almost none of the power gain. Sure there is power to be made with an IC sprayer- but you could make a lot more power spraying nitrous into the airstream.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-12-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ohh okay nice info to know.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM

The other thing I thought of over night was that I wasn't even factoring in that the O2 would be stored at higher pressure.

If the O2 in the tank was at regular atmospheric pressure (14.7 psig), you'd make 5x the power that your engine currently does as I said before- however, imagine you fed it 30 psi- you'd make 10x the power- or say at 100 psi, you'd make 33x the power (figure that nitrous in the bottle is usually over 1000 psi). So injecting pure oxygen at 100 psi- and matching fuel to stoich ratio would make your ~200 hp car on regular air almost 6600 hp- more than a top fuel dragster with no other modifications other than the oxygen injection and a high pressure / high flow fuel system, and at a pressure you could get out of a regular air compressor.