Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Supercharger questions for my '03 Pace Car Replica

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:07 AM
Default Supercharger questions for my '03 Pace Car Replica

Hi. I'm a bit new to the group and enjoy coming here to peruse it. I have some questions on adding a Supercharger to my 03 MC Pace Car Replica.

1. Should I go with an L36 or an l67? I am a bit confused on which would fit my car the easiest without having to change the Tranny out.

2. M62 or M90? I'm confused just as the above question. What the difference in power I will see in choosing one over the other?

3. On my current 3800 I have a small leak in my lower intake manifold gasket. I almost bought a new one with the aluminum upgrade this past weekend but decided against it because I wanted to do my homework.

My question is, if I do a top swap with a Supercharger that includes the lower gasket, should I avoid buying a lower intake manifold gasket for my stock 3800? That would seem to be wasting money. Correct? Wouldn't the Supercharger already come with a lower manifold?

4. I currently have a couple deals offered to me and am trying to decide which route to go. Please help me.

1. Eaton 3800 Supercharger & Throttle Body. This is coming off a car that had a lot of engine blow by and the SC has quite a bit of buildup in it.

Price: $60

2. 3800 series 2 Supercharger l67 engine parts. This is from someone's unfinished rebuild. This includes:
- block
- lower intake
- supercharger
- crank
- cam
- rods
- pistons
- roller lifters
- rockers
- pcm (although I doubt it's for a Monte Carlo)
- fuel rail
- headers
- heads up display
- bearings

Price $ 300

3. Rebuilt Supercharger l67
It includes:

- Supercharger
- lower intake
- brackets
- pulleys
- fuel rails
- injectors
- engine cover

Price : $450

Which one should I go with? Some pros and cons on each would be highly appreciated.

Last but not least, will I have to get a new Tranny? Or can my stock handle it?

The goal is to save money but im not going to compromise on quality either. I dont mind putting in some labor with my Mechanic buddy. As for my skillset? I'm not ASE certified at all. I'm the basic weekend, backyard mechanic who does the work on his car by reading Chilton manual and perusing forums like this one and YouTube.
I've changed brakes, struts, filters, tuneups, alternators, etc. I want to do this myself but I realize that unless I buy the SC rebuilt I will probably have to send it off to get rebuilt.

Excuse the length but I felt it was necessary to go in depth.

Any and all advice and help appreciated.

Last edited by AlSpaulding; 04-14-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Your car being a naturally aspirated 3800 already has an L36 engine. Best bet for a top swap is to use parts from an L67 which is the series II supercharged, yours is series II n/a.

I'm not sure what the M62 is off of, series II and series III engines used eaton M90 supercharger, just different generations. I'm not entirely sure on the answer for your lower intake manifold. As far as the parts you need, search "top swap" here and you'll find plenty of threads with information on the subject.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You're best off swapping out an L67 or L32... if you're going for more performance in the end, go with the L32 and enjoy the Gen V, which will net you more power if you really go all out.

As for the M62, that's a smaller blower that won't bolt up to a 3800 manifold without modification. It's used in the Supercharged Cobalts and Ions and such. It is also used on some 3400's but not without a custom UIM.

When doing a top swap, at the very least you will need to swap the heads, lower intake manifold and supercharger off of the supercharged engine. So buying an N/A lower intake manifold at all will be pointless. That being said, your current LIM will not work with an M90, you will need to Gen 3 or Gen V LIM. The Gen V LIM will not work with the Gen 3 and the Gen 3 will not work with the Gen V, without modification at least.

Your best bet is to find an L67, either keep the supercharger that it comes with (Gen III) or swap a Gen V and be done with it.

Last edited by red04montels; 04-14-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Also grab the trans, and engine bay harness if you are grabbing a complete motor. That will make it much easier to flash your PCM with a stock 04SS bin file.