Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

super charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504

Right, but there are all sort of inherent issue with this kit, from everything I've read (cold starts and hesitations); some of the issuesseemed to have been install issue, most others, a poorly tuned PCM... I'm still debating myself on this kit, vs other power adders, but this kit is not flawless....
People with these issues normally do not have the supporting mods.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Just about every major mod I have done there have been little bugs to work out. You can do all the research but every car reacts differently so you never know what you'll get no matter which route you go. So if you top swap, turbo, or go with zzp's kit you could have some issues. From what I have seen its hard to find a flawless power adder mod.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by LW57912
Just about every major mod I have done there have been little bugs to work out. You can do all the research but every car reacts differently so you never know what you'll get no matter which route you go. So if you top swap, turbo, or go with zzp's kit you could have some issues. From what I have seen its hard to find a flawless power adder mod.
Well.. Besides bolt on mods. Lol

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JesseSS
People with these issues normally do not have the supporting mods.
Interesting, there were a few members (1 or 2 here) who had supporting mods and still seemed to have issues...I will agreed that when you retrofit/fab kit, there will be some issues to expect. I've done lots of research and still not completely sold on it, but it's by far the easiest setup to install, so I'm leaning toward it (vs L67 swap or top swap).

Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504

Interesting, there were a few members (1 or 2 here) who had supporting mods and still seemed to have issues...I will agreed that when you retrofit/fab kit, there will be some issues to expect. I've done lots of research and still not completely sold on it, but it's by far the easiest setup to install, so I'm leaning toward it (vs L67 swap or top swap).
I mean theres always that unlucky guy that has problems with things. Ive seen people install a cold air intake and their light for the o2 sensors came on. Dont ask me how. But i think its worth a shot. Zzp normally does make a good product.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 PM

the ZZP topswap kit is a waist. a lot of the money goes into paying for fuel rails, the mod'd lower intake, and new stand off pulleys and offset SC pulley. after paying that money you are left with a flawed design for the belt system as you now have less wrap then stock. when you go to upgrade the pulleys will cost more or be harder to find used.

further, most engines that one would install this kit on are high mileage. these are the engines that would benefit from doing a full topswap and having a chance to address and replace the gaskets.

no matter what your level of mods you will need more then ZZP's mail order PCM to complete the job and have it able to run safe.

like said save your money get a real topswap, retain the ability to mod the engine just like any other, and invest the money saved into more mods or proper tuning for the setup.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
the ZZP topswap kit is a waist. a lot of the money goes into paying for fuel rails, the mod'd lower intake, and new stand off pulleys and offset SC pulley. after paying that money you are left with a flawed design for the belt system as you now have less wrap then stock. when you go to upgrade the pulleys will cost more or be harder to find used.

further, most engines that one would install this kit on are high mileage. these are the engines that would benefit from doing a full topswap and having a chance to address and replace the gaskets.

no matter what your level of mods you will need more then ZZP's mail order PCM to complete the job and have it able to run safe.

like said save your money get a real topswap, retain the ability to mod the engine just like any other, and invest the money saved into more mods or proper tuning for the setup.
Can you expound upon "less wrap"? I understand that the two belt system in the L67 will be a 1 belt system with the top swap, but only one on the L67 is going to supercharger anyway, no? I can't recall the route in my head at the moment.

The higher mileage car would still be replacing the problem gaskets (the lower intake), the heads don't really have issues do they? That said, still a good idea though.

I'm still debating this myself but ZZP will provide all the pulleys I'd ever need for the ZZP setup if I decided to go this route, however, yes one would be stuck with one company to source said pullies; all valid very valid points.

You've got me thinking so more now...lol

I've got to decide soon in the event post the SSkit on Black Friday...

EDIT: another issue I thought of that adds more work to the top swap is redoing the headers. I'm also not sure if the L67 heads will require another install kit due to differences in the heads.

Last edited by Mac7504; 11-14-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 PM

the angle that the single belt takes does not wrap as much as the dedicated SC belt on a std L67 route. I cant seem to find the picture but IIRC you loose about 30-40% of the contact with the pulley. also many take the opportunity to port heads, replace valve seals and springs and do a valve job before installing the new L67 heads. I was scared to do the heads as i had never replaced a head gasket before. it went well and no major issues.

when i did mine i ported the heads, put high flow valves in, lapped the valves, installed new seals and springs. If i was to do rockers it would have been a perfect time as well.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by z34phoenix

Very valid point i think i am going to buy a good running l67 motor from my local scrapyard (they sell low mileages for 550$, i know its hard to believe) and sit the motor down in my shop and do a full build on it with a ported blower and order a zzp race transmission. Probably the safest way without spending 7000$ on a new motor

Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 AM

exactly. the bottom ends on these engines are basically bullet proof. the trans is where the problems are. I would also pass on the ZZP trans. look up triple edge performance. they build amazing trans.

personally i would get my hands on a low miles L36 and put a Gen 5 blower on from a L32. But supporting mods and tuning are very critical when building a high compression engine with boost. so this route is not for everyone.

Quick Reply: super charger