Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

super charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default super charger

have a o4 SS with the 3.8l eng.;;my landloard said he has a wreaked 3.8l with a super charger on it;;the 2 eng[besides one having super charger and mine not having]looks to be same;;is there a chance i can take the supercharger off buick and put on my engine and if can what all else would need be doon if anything to do it and it perform andrun good???
if not recomended to just do supercharger on my engine in monte then can i put complete super charged eng out of buick into monte?i'm looking only for a bolt in swap;;don't won't to chop/cut/butcher my car doing it..want to look factory and run as good as a factory super charged monte ss does....anything else needed done as for ECU AND OTHER ELECTRONIC CONTROLS???

Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

There's a bit to a "top swap. I know you need heads, lower intake, the super charger, throttle body, injectors, should grab the coils (L67, Supercharged, coils are a bit different then the L36 non-Supercharged coils).
Also, I believe the compression ratios are different between the L36 and L67, requiring you to get a custom tune.

There are some members here who have done "top swaps" (Z34Phoenix being the most recent). I personally think you might be best doing an engine swap.... You have the complete donor car available.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
There's a bit to a "top swap. I know you need heads, lower intake, the super charger, throttle body, injectors, should grab the coils (L67, Supercharged, coils are a bit different then the L36 non-Supercharged coils).
Also, I believe the compression ratios are different between the L36 and L67, requiring you to get a custom tune.

There are some members here who have done "top swaps" (Z34Phoenix being the most recent). I personally think you might be best doing an engine swap.... You have the complete donor car available.
what about the PCM?would it need anything done to it?with top end swap or complete eng swap;;;if so what and where would i get that done?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 AM

Yes the PCM with have to be tuned for your car. Any of the 3800 vendors can do that for you.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
As per my post, if you do a top-swap, you need a custom tune (either street, dyno, or as LW57912 said, most 3800 vendors have a canned mail order top-swap tune).

If you swap the entire drivetrain, you will need a PCM tune as well. If get the engine and transmission from the same donor car, take the PCM and I believe it should just work (as the PCM from the donor has the tune you need). If you only take the engine, my guess is the trans you have vs the donor car are geared different, the PCM will need a custom tune for that.
Also, if you use L67 on a transmission originally set up for an L36 (I believe goes the same for a top swap), be prepared to eventually blow the trans and need a stronger one (I would recommend if that happens, contact Triple Edge Performance).

Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

L36 transmissions are just as strong (weak) as L67 transmissions, the only difference is the gearing and the differential

Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM

first you need to see what engine is what. what year buick is it? IIRC you should have a series 2 NA 3800 aka L36 depending on the year the buick may have a series 1,2,3 engine.

Next either way you will need to do tuning/ mail order PCM. the the vin in the pcm must match the BCM, so the buicks pcm wont just drop in your car. the vin will need to be changed. If you topswap you will need to do more work then just tuning. because of the higher compression, you will need headers and possibly rockers to safely run the stock 3.8" pulley.

for reliability, swapping the engine and trans will be making your car basically a SC SS like you said you wanted. you will need basically everything from the donor car. axles, trans, engine, harness, and pcm. the pcm will need to be updated with your vin so that it communicates with the rest of the car. I suggest the harness as the SC engines have different MAP sensors and a BBV solenoid. these harnesses can be purchased and added in, but if you have access to the entire car, you can save yourself the $40-50.

prob the easiest way to do the swap would be to unbolt the strut towers and then lower and unbolt the engine cradles,roll them out, and swap them that way.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Zzperformance.com will tell you. They sell an L67 supercharger kit for the L36. And no you will not need heads etc, thats the old way to do it. Zzperformance (the #1 3800 performance shop/website in the world) figured a way and it gives more horsepower then the L67 because the L36 is higher compression.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Right, but there are all sort of inherent issue with this kit, from everything I've read (cold starts and hesitations); some of the issuesseemed to have been install issue, most others, a poorly tuned PCM... I'm still debating myself on this kit, vs other power adders, but this kit is not flawless....

Quick Reply: super charger