Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

strange things are happening to me

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Default strange things are happening to me

okay as the title to this post suggest, there have been strange phenomenon(i guess thats how you spell it) going on with my 1982 monte carlo. heres the run down: i have the 321 v6 engine with a computer carb and the th350 transmission. this car has NEVER been above 35 mph since ive had it. no matter how hard i hit the gas it just wont budge. flat roads? i get nothing. pulling hills??? forget it. if im at a red light, i will hit the gas when the light changes and the engine will rev up like its working its *** off. ill start to move but once it hits that 30-35 mph range its done. if im at 35 mph and i try to hit the gas the engine will rev up to the point that it starts to shake the car but it wont go any faster. if i hit a hill i drop to a speed that i could walk faster than. another thing: if im driving it and i come to a stop, all the gas will rush to the front and the car will rev up ALOT. after that when i try to hit the gas, i can literally with no exageration get out and push the car and make it go faster that it does by me hitting the gas. it usually takes about 15 seconds to catch up to itself and when it does it gives a hard jerk. it does this everytime. it also does it when i stop coming down a hill. some times when i put the car in gear it will do one of two things: either it will jump sideways when i shift from park to reverse/drive. or sometimes it will shift through all gears and none will work. like i can put it in reverse and the car will go forward. the last problem is that i cant crank the car with out mashing the gas pedal first. i have to put the pedal to the floor one time and then crank the car. im in desperate need to fix this car and i would love to. i mean, other than those issues, its a beautiful car for its age. any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.....

Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

How much fluid is in the transmission? Pumping the pedal to start is common on older carb cars.The other concern sound like there either a tranny issue not enough fluid or just worn out clutches.Or there might be a clogged cat maybe keeping it from making power to go.Kinda sounds more tranny related but I'm just guessing with out being there to look at it.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is kinda hard to diagnose online. It could be anything in the entire driveline. My very first thought was a plugged catalytic converter but then the additional stuff you added makes it sound like the transmission.