Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Starts but Stalls when warm????? :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What is Seafoam? I never heard of it!
Yeah, I still have to do the bearings, all 4 struts and brakes, tie rods.The previous owners really put it thru the ringer. But I'm determined! Then I can start on making it my version of Pretty! By the time I'm, finished I would have spent the equivalent of the KBB value on repairs and dress ups. As long as the engine is running, its warth the effort. And even then I've looked up rebuilt engines. Would like to get an updated 4T65E for it this fall.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Seafoam is probably one of the best & most universal fuel treatment on the market

You can add a can to your fuel tank blast the fuel system clean, add some to your oil, use it as a engine flush, and even run it through the emissions/vacuum system to remove carbon residue(if done correctly the stuff is amazing)
vvv Looks like this stuff vvv

OBVIOUSLY read the label first..

Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah, just need to drop a full can into your gas tank, then fill up the tank.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
Seafoam is probably one of the best & most universal fuel treatment on the market
Personally, for going in the gas tank I use Chevron Techron. It's actually what is sold at Chevy dealers (granted it's re-branded for them) for a fuel system cleaner, and it has a lube for the pump.

I'll use SeaFoam in the crank case and in the vacuum line, though.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member

I Think my Idle problem is computer related. I mean, I've done everything else! Every time I would do/replace something, it would work for a day or three, then start acting STUPID again. The check engine light came on after I cleaned the tb, so I had it read at Pepboys. All the codes that came up had to do with the Brakes, ABS, and Traction Control systems. I know they need to be done but I don't want to put new brakes on a car that wants to drive itself.
I do computers and computer controled machine repairs for a living. If my car were a Vending or coffee machine, and I replaced all the peripherals and the motors still ran at Ludicrous Speed, I wood replace the main control a board. My geek brain is furious with me cause its been telling me the computer is Muffed up and I haven't listed!
I'm not asking for advice this time. I'm just venting my frustration. All the other stuff I've replaced, would have needed to be replace anyway. And I still have a lot to do. But I'm at the point where I can't continue forward with my Restoration until I get this problem fixed. Right now I can drive the car but I'm afraid to Cruise it. And that Suckith Royal Jester Dung!
Enough with my Whining, I still Luv the car! And I'm Greatful for this forum. I'll get it done/fixed and Perring like a Lion Cub dispite its fight against me. They will put me out to pasture before I put my Monte Carlo SS/YelloJac in The junk heep!
Thanks for letting me Vent!!!!!! B-)

Old 03-30-2013, 02:41 PM

got an issue on my 2000 Monte Carlo LS. After running perfect for about 10-15 mins she will idle erratically then stall.give her a couple minutes she will do the same thing. after a few tries she will throw code P0171. i had the intake and cylinder head gaskets replaced in january at the local garage. i replaced the fuel filter last fall. i replaced the PCV valve last week. I cleaned the throttle body,replaced aic and tbs and took off the maf sensor of my 97 malibu cleaned it and installed it on the Monte. I tried her and the same thing. changed coil and ignition conrol sensor and same thing.Should i have disconnected the battery for the car's computer to reset or do you think its a vacuum issue.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

PCV? IAC? You checked fuel pressure? Wires/plugs?

And rentalguy88 start a new thread.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 AM

had spare maf sensor cleaned and replaced cleaned throttle body and tb sensor and aic sensor replaced,fuel filter replaced in the fall,replaced ignition coils and module,replaced pcv valve,had intake and cylinder head gaskets replaced in January at local garage,new air filter last week and new plug wires in January only thing left is fuel pressure test and spark plugs

Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by rentalguy88
had spare maf sensor cleaned and replaced cleaned throttle body and tb sensor and aic sensor replaced,fuel filter replaced in the fall,replaced ignition coils and module,replaced pcv valve,had intake and cylinder head gaskets replaced in January at local garage,new air filter last week and new plug wires in January only thing left is fuel pressure test and spark plugs
i'm thinking fuel pump is weak she cut out and cranked her no start gave her 3 mins she started

Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member

I got it. When I took the air filter housing off the PCM I found that the top wire harnes plug was not seated right. And some of the wires from the lower plug were caught in the upper plug. So I unbolted the connector, and seated and rebloted them properly. No more hi idle or check engine codes.
Still haven't gotten the fuel filter out. Been spraying it with Liquid Wrench so it will be changed soon. Then I have to get a new EGR and PVC valve. Hopefully that will take care of my "Starts but stalls when engine is warm" problem. Ignition module was done last summer. Just the coil packs and plug wires left and the engine is done. Then I can move on to the suspension and brakes. I'll be highway cruisin in comfort and with peafe of mind soon! B-)

Quick Reply: Starts but Stalls when warm????? :-(