Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Starting to Mod my monte. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/starting-mod-my-monte-14351/)

2003supersport 06-25-2009 02:12 PM

TB (no maf)
correct me if im wrong, but isnt a MAF pricey vs. the cost of a used TB with all sensors?
i'd definately look into finding a replacement with all sensors...if your buddy can port the inlet then upgrade.

bumpin96monte 06-25-2009 06:21 PM

but isnt a MAF pricey
You can get a new 85mm external upgrade one for cheap- I got one off ebay from an LS2 for like $20.

Since his tune needs to be customized anyways for a regular 4t65 w/ an L67, its just a matter of copy and pasting in a new MAF table for it to work.

03Monte 06-27-2009 08:32 AM

OK, after taking some time to figure out what exactly im doing, i made the following purchase from zzp yesterday.

XP cam with 105 springs/modded retainers
3/8 7.05 push rods
Modular pulley system (4.0)
104 spark plugs
180 tstat
clevite cam bearings (why not, cant hurt to have new bearings..)

This should be good for the engine, atleast for now...
by the time i get everything in the mail and the heads/SC are done (port/polish/valve job) i should have the money to buy the headers and exhaust and that should complete my mods (for the most part).

i also removed all of the interior, im replacing the carpet, and painting (vinyl dye) the plastics black and silver. i have the center console painted, and it looks great, im very impressed with SEM Color coat... i will post some pictures when i figure out what parts im painting silver..

Space 06-27-2009 08:37 AM

:rolleyes:
You sure are acting your plan 4-Sure.
Would be great if you are taking B-4 & after pic's
It would also be great to see step by step on the interior mod's : )
Sounds like U R really improv'in your Monte
Look forward to all your updates, & hopefully
pictures. Wish you Good Luck on everything you are
doing. Thanks for posting/sharing.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/im...ine=1245484654

bumpin96monte 06-27-2009 08:07 PM

XP cam with 105 springs/modded retainers
3/8 7.05 push rods
Modular pulley system (4.0)
104 spark plugs
180 tstat
clevite cam bearings (why not, cant hurt to have new bearings..)
Whoa- jumped into the cam huh? My reccomendation of the 104 plugs was figuring you were going to be just basic bolt ons, a cam/header setup would be better off with 103s IMO.

Next, definitely would ditch the cam bearings (awful lot of extra work for something that I've never seen go bad).

Third would be the 4.0" pulley- thats a massive pulley for a cam, even on 9.4:1 compression. You could run a 4.2" stock, a 4.0" is good for having a handful of bolt ons, but with a cam/heads/header/ported sc setup, you should be able to at least run a 3.4".

Lastly, what are you going to do about the timing chain? I'd at least reccomend sticking a new tensioner on there, do you plan to upgrade to a better chain?

03Monte 06-27-2009 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 140187)
Whoa- jumped into the cam huh? My reccomendation of the 104 plugs was figuring you were going to be just basic bolt ons, a cam/header setup would be better off with 103s IMO.

Whats the major difference between them?

Next, definitely would ditch the cam bearings (awful lot of extra work for something that I've never seen go bad).

The guy doing the labor said, he might as well...so if he is doing the labor free, cam bearings is what he gets. (also, too late i already bought them)

Third would be the 4.0" pulley- thats a massive pulley for a cam, even on 9.4:1 compression. You could run a 4.2" stock, a 4.0" is good for having a handful of bolt ons, but with a cam/heads/header/ported sc setup, you should be able to at least run a 3.4".

The 4.0 is just to make sure i have no KR, as recommended earlier in this post. The main difference in pulley size is amount of boost correct?

Lastly, what are you going to do about the timing chain? I'd at least reccomend sticking a new tensioner on there, do you plan to upgrade to a better chain?
Not quite sure yet, i wont be doing this install very soon so i have some time to decide.

My compression ratio will be changing a bit, the heads i bought from morad were warped slightly so now i have to have the head face milled down.
my understanding is that this will make a 9.45:1 when all is said and done.

bumpin96monte 06-27-2009 11:56 PM

Whats the major difference between them?
103's are one heat range colder than 104's. 104's are great for L67's with basic bolt ons (rockers, intake, headers or plog/DP)- 103's are a step cooler for those in the cam/heads or IC range.

The 4.0 is just to make sure i have no KR, as recommended earlier in this post. The main difference in pulley size is amount of boost correct?
Honestly, in the middle of the post, it seemed as though you had switched to either not wanting to do any mods, or just doing some basics- hence the 4.0 reccomendation. It'll just mean less boost / less power than with a smaller pulley- I just hate to see the money go to waste (since I know it will be able to take a much smaller pulley)- I would call it ultra conservative for a setup like you plan to have.

my understanding is that this will make a 9.45:1 when all is said and done.
Won't really make a difference, there are a few guys running 10:1 with M90's (and many running 9.5:1 with the forged piston builds), so another .05 compression ratio is no big deal, I doubt you'll even notice it.

03Monte 06-28-2009 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 140239)
103's are one heat range colder than 104's. 104's are great for L67's with basic bolt ons (rockers, intake, headers or plog/DP)- 103's are a step cooler for those in the cam/heads or IC range.

I e-mailed zzp, i should be able to change these before they ship.

Honestly, in the middle of the post, it seemed as though you had switched to either not wanting to do any mods, or just doing some basics- hence the 4.0 reccomendation. It'll just mean less boost / less power than with a smaller pulley- I just hate to see the money go to waste (since I know it will be able to take a much smaller pulley)- I would call it ultra conservative for a setup like you plan to have.

i did decide to run stock, i just couldn't get my head around exactly what i needed/wanted to do, but after reading a few post and talking to some very smart people locally i finally sorted out what i wanted to do... (im a network guy after all, engines seem more complex to me...)

im also changing this to a 3.8 if i can, still a little large, but im going to ease the pulley size down over time.
(this is for my comfort/peace of mind, and to make sure i don't blow this engine)

Won't really make a difference, there are a few guys running 10:1 with M90's (and many running 9.5:1 with the forged piston builds), so another .05 compression ratio is no big deal, I doubt you'll even notice it.

Yea, i didn't think so, i was just a little salty the heads were warped...

TheMonteMan 06-28-2009 03:56 PM

what kinda power is this thing going to make when its done? and no matter what its goin to feel like a change from day to night.

03Monte 06-28-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan (Post 140334)
what kinda power is this thing going to make when its done? and no matter what its goin to feel like a change from day to night.

i wish i could answer this, but i wont know until the dyno tune!