Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Starting to Mod my monte.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Starting to Mod my monte.

Welp, i feel that from the information i have received here and a few other resources, i now feel i can make an informed decision as to what i want to do to my MC.

here is my list, in the order they will be done.

1. Rims/Tires - ASA AR9 (Black Accent) with
Eagle F1 GS-2's.
2. Leather seats (Thanks to Erik at Morad)
3. 17k 4T65-E
swap (again,Thanks to Erik at Morad)
4. L67 Top Swap
with 3.4 pulley
5. INTENSE Supercharged/Blower 3800 Camshaft
1.9 rocker arms (have not bought yet, still need more info on brand)
7. K&N drop in CAI
8. exhaust ( have not purchased, still debating Sound vs Price)
9. Dear god, i need a Custom tune...
Head unit and replacing the factory speakers/amp (haven't really looked, but as long as its not a crappy 1 ohm factory system im happy.)
11. sell my plasma twice a week and blood one a month.
12. Look at old savings account statements to "reminisce".
13. almost forgot, ubend delete (done)

Let me know what you guys think, i will post pictures of the before and after i get most of this done (should be in the next two weeks)

i would like to thank those who answered my Noob questions, and those who will answer my future noob questions (look out tuners, im headed your way soon!)

Last edited by 03Monte; 06-20-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:36 AM

Hi Member 03Monte,
(no name location in your profile)

Sounds like you have a good plan for your `Monte : )
Keep us updated on your progress.
Giving `up to get the power you need/want/desire
Look forward to your updates.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:13 PM

1. Rims/Tires - ASA AR9 (Black Accent) with Eagle F1 GS-2's.
2. Leather seats (Thanks to Erik at Morad)
3. 17k 4T65-E swap (again,Thanks to Erik at Morad)
4. L67 Top Swap with 3.4 pulley
A 3.4" pulley is definitely going to be far too small at this point (although you didn't say how spaced out these mods were going to be). But just to give you an idea, to run a top swap on a totally stock L36, you need to have a 4.2" pulley. Running even the stock L67's 3.8" pulley will take mods. IMO, you're better off going too large with the pulley until you have chance to scan it for knock. Since it seems like you want to keep going; when you do buy a pulley- buy a modular system (regardless what brand)- so a pulley swap is just 5 bolts away. Having to use a puller every time is not fun, and the modulars go for cheap used.

5. INTENSE Supercharged/Blower 3800 Camshaft
What stage (1x, 2, 3, 4)? The stage 3 and 4 require aftermarket heads, so they're out. I haven't heard much good about the stage 2, but the 1x is a nice mild cam. You'll still probably want to change out springs and the chain/dampener- especially if you plan to up your shift points. Any reason you want to do a cam so early in modding? Its not a bad idea to do it with the top swap since you'll be 95% there anyways, just curious.

6. 1.9 rocker arms (have not bought yet, still need more info on brand)
If you plan to go with any cam- forget these. You'll end up with too much lift. Aftermarket cams are designed to work with either stock (1.6) or 1.7 ratio rockers, if you really think you want all that extra lift, just put a bigger cam in. If you don't plan to do a cam, modded stock 1.9's are a great mod, and can be had for ~$200 shipped.

7. K&N drop in CAI
IMO, this is too low on the list. When you go to do your top swap, I'd have a CAI ready to go at that point (you'll want to get rid of as much knock as possible with the new setup), I'd also do a 180* tstat, and autolite copper 104 plugs at the same time as well.

8. exhaust ( have not purchased, still debating Sound vs Price)
I would consider doing either a PLOG and a 3" downpipe, or full headers. If you're really going to do a cam, I'd go headers no question. They start about $300 up to $1000, but performance is roughly the same for all.

9. Dear god, i need a Custom tune...
Keep in mind you will need a tune for the top swap already (even if its just a flash of a stock supercharged 3800 w/ 3.29s). A custom tune will be a great mod at this point, especially if you do end up with a cam/headers.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

K&N Drop-in CAI

a drop in filter, and a cold air intake are two different things, Make sure you are doing the intake and not a filter change while keeping your stock intake.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:11 PM

I was going to point out that you can't use a K&N drop in w/ the CAI, and that you don't want to mix 1.9 rockers with an aftermarket cam, and that you're going to want more mods than just a cam before you run a 3.4" pulley on a top swap. Also that you're going to want to look into the exhaust BEFORE the catback in which case it's not really a question of sound versus price so much (sound isn't going to be affected much before the cat-back), but it looks like bumpin and chichi got it covered.

Anyways, if you don't have a good grasp of how the valvetrain works (or any part of the drivetrain for that matter), I'd strongly suggest looking up some info on howstuffworks.com or a similar site.
That way you won't end up buying mods that cancel each other out (or that are not compatible).

-Riggs.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry i haven't gotten back to you all, i have been busy with work.

after reading your posts i realized i was lacking some key knowledge to make an informed purchase and have been doing a little research.

This is what i have going on, i have the m90 blower with a 3.4 pulley already on it (came from morad that way) as well as the other pieces and parts required to do the swap (heads,intake, fuel rails, injectors...ect)

What im planning on buying.
1.180 Thermostat
Copper Core Spark Plugs 104
Roller Rocker Arms 1.9
Valvesprings (GVS-LS6 from intense if that helps)
5. K&N CAI (not just a filter)
6. Head will be ported and polished
7. Thinking about taking .005 off the heads for cleanup (don't know if i want to raise compression though)
Edit: 8. new fuel filter (i have ran nothing but cheap gas in this, i know those days are gone so figured it was a good idea to change the filter)
this is what i have narrowed this down to, how does this sound?

When i started this thread, it was supposed to be the mods i wanted, but because i t was 4am and it turned into a list of info everyone was throwing at me...

im not looking to build a car for the track, just have some fun (maybe even turn a mustang or two into glue.)

Last edited by 03Monte; 06-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 AM

15 Year Member

again, scratch that 3.4 pulley. I know it may have come that way, but if you are top swapping you CAN NOT be running a 3.4 pulley.

without a top swap the 3.4 is the most common pulley because you can achieve it with just the basic bolt-ons, but on a top swap, you'll be needing a 3.8 or a 4.0 with the basic bolt ons. So the first thing you should be buying is the 4.0 pulley.

The 180° will help
The rockers I don't think you will be getting roller rockers, but 1.9 modified stock rockers.
Which if you aren't getting the roller rockers, your 1.9 modified should be fine on your stock springs (correct me on this one bumpin' / riggs)
The K&N is good
A port and polish never hurts.

Now here is a nice list of things you should ALSO be getting:
ZZP Downpipe with U-bend delete and High-Flow cat (I know it's 3" for supercharged, so it should be the same for a top swap)
at the minimum you should get a Stainless Steel / Ceramic Coated front Powerlog
The best you could do is a whole set of headers though.

But most importantly DO NOT run that stock 3.4 pulley. Start at 4.0 until you can get it scanned for KR, and then try a 3.8.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
again, scratch that 3.4 pulley. I know it may have come that way, but if you are top swapping you CAN NOT be running a 3.4 pulley.

without a top swap the 3.4 is the most common pulley because you can achieve it with just the basic bolt-ons, but on a top swap, you'll be needing a 3.8 or a 4.0 with the basic bolt ons. So the first thing you should be buying is the 4.0 pulley.

I'm definitely buying a 4.0, anyone want to buy a 3.4

The 180° will help
The rockers I don't think you will be getting roller rockers, but 1.9 modified stock rockers.

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/...=3800-YTRR-yyy

this is what i was told to buy...is this wrong?

Which if you aren't getting the roller rockers, your 1.9 modified should be fine on your stock springs (correct me on this one bumpin' / riggs)

The springs are only $80, if it helps with only reliability then its worth it to me.

The K&N is good
A port and polish never hurts.

Now here is a nice list of things you should ALSO be getting:
ZZP Downpipe with U-bend delete and High-Flow cat (I know it's 3" for supercharged, so it should be the same for a top swap)

at the minimum you should get a Stainless Steel / Ceramic Coated front Powerlog TBH, im not quite sure what this is

The best you could do is a whole set of headers though.
I have planned on doing this, Headers,downpipe, no cat though, no e-check here. and i already have the ubend removed.

But most importantly DO NOT run that stock 3.4 pulley. Start at 4.0 until you can get it scanned for KR, and then try a 3.8.

I have to say this whole build has made me rather nervous.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM

15 Year Member

If this post is wrong, someone should chime in, but if I were you.

Changing springs and valves from stock, actually hurts the reliability of your engine. I would get a set of 1.9 Stock Modified Rockers You can grab them at that link, or for about $150-$200 from clubgp.com/newforum. And with those you just have to put them in. No springs, nothing.

Here is a link for the downpipes.

and the front powerlog, if you aren't getting headers you can find here.

Doing all of these with the top swap, are very easy bolt-ons and should not harm the reliability of the engine, or be difficult to install.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM

3. Roller Rocker Arms 1.9
4.Valvesprings (GVS-LS6 from intense if that helps)
5. K&N CAI (not just a filter)
6. Head will be ported and polished
So did you drop the idea of getting a cam? If you're just going to do rockers, I would just get modded stock 1.9s, and forget the valvesprings- that way you don't have to worry about wearing out your timing chain tensioner early.

What heads are you getting though? If you're doing ported heads, a cam wouldn't be a bad choice either- and could let you run that 3.4" depending on what cam and other mods.

i have the m90 blower with a 3.4 pulley already on it
As said above, you're gonna need a lot of mods to be able to run a 3.4. I'd pull it off, and get something safer; then you can go back to it when you get enough mods- or sell it.

I have to say this whole build has made me rather nervous.
Why is that? If you think the whole mod list thing is getting too long, we're just going off your first post. There's no reason why you couldn't do the top swap bone stock- and just stick a 4.2" pulley on there, and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Starting to Mod my monte.