Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Squires Turbo systems (STS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Default Squires Turbo systems (STS)

I plan on modding my Monte Carlo SS when I get some extra $$ saved up. I've looked at headers, CAI, exhaust, and two different turbos. The CarTuning Turbo kit and the Squires Turbo Systems. The Car Tuning Turbo kit is just too much, and I'm now leaning towards getting a STS setup for my car.

I've checked out their site and also found out a local auto shop in my neck of the woods is an STS dealer.

I was wondering if any Monte owners on this site have a Squires Turbo System on their car? If so do you like it?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did not know STS made a kit for the newer v8 montes....or is it a Universal kit you speak of that they make? If it is a universal kit I would steer clear.

I know they make specific kits for the gto/vette....yes they make insane power and are an option for those who want them....I however do not like the turbo's out the back option...1 I'd be afraid of hitting bottom, or something jumping up and taking out a turbo...especially on the horrible streets of ny...

Also not a fan of running all of the lines to the back and front and such....just all to scary to have these things under the car...

Having said that there are many who have them and love them....

Good luck on whatever you decide, let us know how it goes.

Joe

Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The makers of STS systems is right here in Utah about 10 miles from me. I went to them years back and even gave them a deposit for a Turbo system. Then my friend took me to another Turbo shop and I spoke with it's owner. He actually helped develope some aspects of the system with them. He said frankly he has seen nothing less than 100% failure at some point due to the oil pumps they use, he said for the system to be better they need a very good oil pump similiar to the Porsche $450 oil pump but they did not want to use that expensive of a pump. With the turbo's location to the rear, when the pump goes out or a line is severed it will always lead to turbo and potential engine loss. He showed me a pile of parts on his floor and said those were all STS systems he had removed from peoples cars. One Dodge pickup went through 2 of the V-10 engines that failed related to the STS system. I ended up getting my deposit back the same day and to their credit they gave it back to me with no hassle even though I paid cash.

They sponsored the "Midnight drags" at our local drag strip last year and we never saw their sponsored car Pro-Mod Car make a complete pass, it would always sputter out after a few burn outs, do maybe an 1/8th mile, then reverse to the starting point and we would not see it again til the next midnight drags. But that car was all business, probably a 8 second car, just always issues, perhaps not even turbo related.

So around here in Utah most people tend to shy away from the STS system. They are made in Orem Utah owned by Rick Squires "Squires Turbo System" (STS). So pay attention that you get a high dollar oil pump if you do use their system. The STS system is easier to install for one, second the the under the hood temps are vastly reduced from a regular turbo mounted unit. Another thing I did not like, when they looked at my Monte they said the turbo pipe would not be recessed and would extend about 2.5" past the cars floor pan, thus lower to the ground. And I already would bottom out a few times and felt this was also a risk of damaging the turbo pipes and knocking something loose. But then I have lowered my car with Eibach's. It's ultimately your choice....

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 05-05-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Montess2k
I did not know STS made a kit for the newer v8 montes....or is it a Universal kit you speak of that they make? If it is a universal kit I would steer clear.

I know they make specific kits for the gto/vette....yes they make insane power and are an option for those who want them....I however do not like the turbo's out the back option...1 I'd be afraid of hitting bottom, or something jumping up and taking out a turbo...especially on the horrible streets of ny...

Also not a fan of running all of the lines to the back and front and such....just all to scary to have these things under the car...

Having said that there are many who have them and love them....

Good luck on whatever you decide, let us know how it goes.

Joe
Yep it's the Universal Kit.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM

sts is a great brand and normally always puts warrantys on their systems. i have a friend with an 06 sts twin turbo vette and he has a completely stock motor except for the tune and turbos and he pushes about 10 pounds of boost and is around 650hp at the wheels. he loves his sts setup

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by AZ93
sts is a great brand and normally always puts warrantys on their systems. i have a friend with an 06 sts twin turbo vette and he has a completely stock motor except for the tune and turbos and he pushes about 10 pounds of boost and is around 650hp at the wheels. he loves his sts setup
some of their higher prices turbo systems may be okay, but the lower priced ones seem to have issues

Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Originally Posted by AZ93
That kit is made specifically for the vette as are the gto and others...the monte is a universal kit which, even with a kit that is made specifically for our cars can sometimes be a pita to install, universal kits would be worse...that would be my opinion on any name brand universal kit not just sts....

Joe

Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM

if u go to ls1tech in the ls4 section theres a guy roscko or something along those lines thats running an sts setup on his gxp. all of his posts are long and extremely informative.